The Student Room Group

Reference troubles

I have just been offered a conditional place on my masters course, the conditions being I send them my references, one being a signed and stamped institution one which I got easily from my old uni, but the other is just a plain old academic reference but i am having the hardest time obtaining it, since I left uni all my old tutors have moved on and the only person I have a contact for is my college tutor but she is currently to busy to provide me with one, has anyone got any advice on what i could do? does my reference have to be someone who has personally taught me or just someone in a academic position?
Original post by lulucarter1990

Ask the institution that is asking for the references. However, think about all the options you have and ask them which options they choose. Don't just ask them what they want, because you may not have those people to ask, ie go into the conversation with a list of people you can offer, and see who they choose.
This is a common problem for PhD applicants, so don't panic.

Ask if there is a reference 'on file' for you - often if a reference was written to you at any point (for another application or a job) a copy will have been kept. Phone Student Records at that Uni. If they get silly about releasing a copy, mention Freedom of Information requests and they will probably release it.

Alternatively, contact the Uni you are applying to and ask what they would like you to do. Would an employers reference do instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending