The Student Room Group

Can someone help me to understand factor increases?

By factor increases I mean, for example when all the sides of a shape has doubled by what factor does the area change, or if the sides have tripled by what factor does the volume change? And how changes can affect other things such as Mass or pressure, or by what factor speed affects braking distance?

I've seen this come up in quite a few OCR papers, and as it stands I can pretty much kiss these marks goodbye, especially when they ask you to explain the factor increase. So if anyone could explain this in as much detail as they can that would really help.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
For example
volume is equal to side x side x side (base x width x height)
therefore if every side triples
3 x 3 x 3 = 27
The volume would be multiplied by a factor of 27

feel free to correct me, anyone.
Reply 2
Original post by ludd-sama
By factor increases I mean, for example when all the sides of a shape has doubled by what factor does the area change, or if the sides have tripled by what factor does the volume change? And how changes can affect other things such as Mass or pressure, or by what factor speed affects braking distance?

I've seen this come up in quite a few OCR papers, and as it stands I can pretty much kiss these marks goodbye, especially when they ask you to explain the factor increase. So if anyone could explain this in as much detail as they can that would really help.

Thanks in advance.

Check attachment, I hope it helps.

factors.PNG
Reply 3
Original post by Reda2
Check attachment, I hope it helps.

factors.PNG

Okay, the volume part at the top was helpful, if i actually draw it out, it becomes pretty obvious what the factor is. thanks alot for that.

As for the others, i can figure out what increases and decreases from proportionality in equations, thats not so much of an issue. What im confused of, is the actual numerical factor by which they increase.

Quick Reply

Latest