The Student Room Group

Who do you want to win the Austrian election?

Poll

Who do you want to win the Austrian presidential election

Norbert Hofer - Far-right Freedom Party.

Alexander Van deer Belen - Independent backed by the Greens

Both the centre-left and centre-right party were knocked out in the first round.

As could be expected, many Austrians are displeased with the migrant/refugee crisis and want a president who will take action against it.

Current polls put Hofer ahead, with a thin margin of error. - Not anymore

Update 5:36 BST - Like this poll, both men are on 50% of the vote with 94% of votes counted. It's going to be a close one! We won't find out the result until Monday though, due to postal votes.

Update 7:13 BST - Official figures give Hofer a 3.8% lead, not counting postal votes.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TelAviv
Norbert Hofer - Far-right Freedom Party.

Alexander Van deer Belen - Independent backed by the Greens

Both the centre-left and centre-right party were knocked out in the first round.

As could be expected, many Austrians are displeased with the migrant/refugee crisis and want a president who will take action against it.

Current polls put Hofer ahead, within margin of error.

Nice attempt to bias the poll by adding "far right", whilst not putting "far left" for the other candidate.
Reply 2
Slight correction: it's Alexander van der Bellen, not Alexander van deer Belen.

I want Dr. Van der Bellen to win, of course. A soft-spoken, polite economics professor with good policies vs a far-right extremist with bad policies? Of course I'd pick the former!

Exit polls, as you say, suggest that the race is very tight. 50.2% for Mr. Hofer and 49.8% for Dr. Van der Bellen. The Presidency is largely a ceremonial role but I'm worried that the far-right could try to change that.

EDIT: Ah, it's now neck-and-neck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
Nice attempt to bias the poll by adding "far right", whilst not putting "far left" for the other candidate.

I actually want Hofer to win...

His party identify as far-right whereas the independent doesn't identify as far-left.

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with someone being far-right. It's a perfectly legitimate political standpoint and shouldn't be demonised in the way it is by the media.
Reply 4
It's now 50-50%.
Reply 5
Whatever fast tracks the deportation of criminals, which is obviously the far-right party.
Original post by TelAviv
I actually want Hofer to win...

His party identify as far-right whereas the independent doesn't identify as far-left.

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with someone being far-right. It's a perfectly legitimate political standpoint and shouldn't be demonised in the way it is by the media.

same
Reply 7
Van der Bellen leads by 4,000 votes. I don't see how it could change now.
Hofer given that the position is largely ceremonial and maybe people will finally take the far right seriously again and actually try to do something about them if they legitimately think there is something wrong with the ideology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Van der Bellen leads by 4,000 votes. I don't see how it could change now.

There are 900,000 postal votes to count tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Jammy Duel
There are 900,000 postal votes to count tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

They vote left in majority.
Hofer 1,937,863
Van der Bellen 1,793,857

About 850k absentee ballots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
Which will only increase Van der Bellen's lead...

Edit: Apparently, postal votes are included in the exit poll projections:

"In official counting, as polls closed at 5pm local time, 75 per cent of votes had been counted, showing 52.6 per cent for Hofer and 47.4 for Van der Bellen. The exit polls contained 'projections' for uncounted votes in the cities and among 900,000 postal votes, but analysts warned there was significant room for error in those numbers." - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/austria-on-a-knife-edge-as-presidential-poll-too-close-to-call/

Hofer 1,937,863
Van der Bellen 1,793,857

About 850k absentee ballots

Posted from TSR Mobile

The winner needs 52% to win (I think).

Does anybody know if my man Hofer has made it, or is he a fraction short?
Original post by The_Opinion
The winner needs 52% to win (I think).

Does anybody know if my man Hofer has made it, or is he a fraction short?

Hofer is currently 3.8% ahead, not counting postal votes.

It will be very close, but I think Hofer is going to win!
Reply 14
I hope the far right wins
So the Austrian presidential election is between a far right and far left person?

Good to know Europe is stable.
Original post by Mathemagicien
52% overall? Neither will get that.

The far left - not only the far right - are doing well in many countries, e.g. Spain, Germany, Greece of course, Italy, Sweden. Politics is getting very polarised. Its not only Europe, either. Just look at the US, where you have Trump and Sanders.

What has been the trend in most of the world recently (I.e. where things are going badly) the trend is for the party or people that are different to the establishment do well, so in rather left wing areas the right do well, where the right is the establishment the left do well, and where the centre is in charge the extremes do well

Posted from TSR Mobile
What has been the trend in most of the world recently (I.e. where things are going badly) the trend is for the party or people that are different to the establishment do well, so in rather left wing areas the right do well, where the right is the establishment the left do well, and where the centre is in charge the extremes do well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Common denominator is massive discontent, doesn't appear to be purely economic either since many people still live very comfortably off, there's a serious cultural issue.
Hofer.
Original post by DanteTheDoorWot
Common denominator is massive discontent, doesn't appear to be purely economic either since many people still live very comfortably off, there's a serious cultural issue.

You can be economically well off and still discontent. Say your wages have gone down, or even barely risen, over the last decade, would you be content even if well off? Probably not, and that's only talking about income nominally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending