Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Computer Science: Abroad or Industial Placement?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I'm looking at taking Computer Science at Hull. I can add to my basic course with either, study abroad, at a University of my choice (1/10 my overall mark), or full-paid industrial placement for one year.

    Considering I'm looking at the games industry, which is best in terms of employability?


    They both have pros and cons! I'd guess in terms of employability, the placement probably, especially if you managed to find one in or related to the gaming industry-it could even lead to a job. On the other hand the year abroad 'broadens your horizons' etc etc and gaming is a worldwide global thing, so that could also give you an edge, and it shows you can adapt in new surroundings and can be thrown into the deep end. It's really down to what you'd prefer to do :P Sorry I'm not much help

    You should go for the one year paid industrial placement in terms of employability, the positives are you have work experience on your CV and if you do well in your work placement year you could get a job at the end of it.

    Also, try to create your own 2D and 3D games in your own time and show a portfolio to employers. This will look very appealing to potential employers and give you the edge.

    You can learn game development by watching tutorials: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
    Space Invaders Java code: http://zetcode.com/tutorials/javagam...spaceinvaders/

    Good luck!

    Would go abroad. You have all your life to work and plenty of opportunity to do so via summer internships, whereas most people don't get to experience loving in another country for a year.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.