Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA english Literature

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

What structure should i follow for my the english literature paper 1 and paper 2 exam, my teacher is pretty lazy and hasnt mentioned it once.

If you mean essay structure, try out this method my teacher gave to us:

First of all, look at the question. Look at the command word, and pick out any key words. use a highlighter if it helps you. For example, if the question is "Explore how the relationship between George and Lennie is presented in Ch1 of Of Mice and men", the command word is "explore" and the key words are "relationship" and "presented".

Then, broadly, you want to plan your essay with regards to the question. In 1-2 minutes you can do a quick, rough mindmap and write down all the key points that answer the question. Pick the ones you want to use (probably 3-5 points depending on essay length) and write them in an order that makes sense.

Write your introduction as a brief summary of all of your points, making sure to name the title of the text and the author. As a general rule, you should always try to give a brief answer to the question in your first few lines so that the examiner knows where you're going with your essay.

Then you get on to your points. I use a slightly expanded version of the PEER system.
    1. Point-Make your point in one succinct sentence-you'll have time to elaborate later.
    2. Evidence-Quote directly from the text. If you can, use embedded quotation.
    3. Explanation-Explain succintly why/how this quote exemplifies your point.
    4. Language-Pull out a piece of language from your quote and analyse it. Relate it back to your point. Be specific, don't just say "the word imitated shows", but instead "the verb imitated shows". This will make your answer seem sophisticated.
    5. Reader-Examine the effect on the reader in a sentence or two. Are they worried, nervous?
    6. Interpret-Bring together everything you have said. How is the mood/atmosphere changed? Try to refer to the author and their intentions.
    7. Return-A short sentence to link back to the question and your next point.
    Obviously the above structure isn't definitive. You can change it around. Add/take away things. swap language for structure/form. But I think it's a great framework to get you on the path to better, more confident essay writing. It definitely helped me a lot when i was struggling.

The last part of your essay is your conclusion. This should be strong and you should reach a final answer. This is the part of the essay where you could bring out any slightly more obscure or interesting ideas to impress the examiner that fit with your essay but didn't make it into the main body.

I hope some of that helped-if you've got any questions just dm me.
    Good luck essay writing!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2016
TSR Support Team
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.