The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC English lit unit 1

Hi there I am wondering on what way I should tackle the part B section (essay) for OMAM (the character question)... For the upper band answers

Scroll to see replies

Hey chick, what I'm doing is just making sure that I have a thorough knowledge of the book, my teacher said we don't need to know loads and loads of quotes, but a couple wouldn't do any harm. I've printed off something from the student room which is linking characters with themes and that just to look over tonight and tomorrow morning, plus we've got given a poetry booklet on how to answer that etc. I googled of mice and men revision and it was one of the first that came up on my iPhone, but when I searched it on my laptop I had to scroll down quite a bit to find it. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: xxx
Does anyone know what the question may be? Ive not revised at all
Reply 3
Original post by Itsellenidk
Hey chick, what I'm doing is just making sure that I have a thorough knowledge of the book, my teacher said we don't need to know loads and loads of quotes, but a couple wouldn't do any harm. I've printed off something from the student room which is linking characters with themes and that just to look over tonight and tomorrow morning, plus we've got given a poetry booklet on how to answer that etc. I googled of mice and men revision and it was one of the first that came up on my iPhone, but when I searched it on my laptop I had to scroll down quite a bit to find it. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: xxx

Oh okay I might search those character resources as well thinking of it. How would you go about answering section B though, like what would you do for the intro middle and end kinda thing..bit puzzled on that ☺️😪😂 & thank you good luck to you too 😌
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SkyeAmber

It could be anyone, but some teachers are predicting curley's wife, or Lennie or George since it's the last year.
Reply 5
It may be Slim which is what i predict and also many are saying the same thing you may just want to go over some ideas of how he has natural authority, he understands why George and Lennie get along and the fact that even though he is a normal worker ''jerk line skinner'' his opinion is ''law''
Reply 6
Original post by SkyeAmber

George on his own or George & Lennie about some kind of friendship kinda question most likely
Original post by rahah7
Oh okay I might search those character resources as well thinking of it. How would you go about answering section B though, like what would you do for the intro middle and end kinda thing..bit puzzled on that ☺️😪😂

You have to comment the content and context of the poems, ideas that the author wanted the reader to think about, phrases and words that we liked, and personal reactions for each of the poems. And then you have to compare and contrast them. I'm pooing it to be honest😂 Let's hope that the bullet points are there, omg ahhhhhh. Wait. It'll all be okay. Positive attitude. We can do this.
Reply 8
can someone please tell me how i can write a detailed and coherent introduction because i tend to mess up
Reply 9
I was predicting the last scene as that has never come up and it is the last year, could be about lost dreams and no matter how much Geroge and Lennie thought they could be different, they couldn't. Their ending was almost inevitable.

Or, i was thinking Curley? never come up before, Curley's wife has about two times already.
Reply 10
You have to comment the content and context of the poems, ideas that the author wanted the reader to think about, phrases and words that we liked, and personal reactions for each of the poems. And then you have to compare and contrast them. I'm pooing it to be honest😂 Let's hope that the bullet points are there, omg ahhhhhh. Wait. It'll all be okay. Positive attitude. We can do this.

Thank youu! Should be kinda okay now gosh I hate unseen poetry and I'm liking that positive attitude gonna stick by it as well😂 How about the essay for the OMAM characters in section A..like how would you answer that?
Original post by rahah7
Thank youu! Should be kinda okay now gosh I hate unseen poetry and I'm liking that positive attitude gonna stick by it as well😂 How about the essay for the OMAM characters in section A..like how would you answer that?

My teacher said peas - point, evidence, analysis, speculate. I think thats the same for the extract question too😬😬 I'm getting really nervous now OMG.
Reply 12
My teacher said peas - point, evidence, analysis, speculate. I think thats the same for the extract question too😬😬 I'm getting really nervous now OMG.

What kinda speculation would you make?😂 And don't be nervous you seem as though you've done your fair share of revision just go in there do you best Nd you'll never have to do that part of English lit again🙌🏻😂
The first step is to choose the question. In your case, you want the character question. These can come in a number of forms. You can get a :
b)How does Steinbeck use character x to present aspects of life in 1930s America?
b)Statement question e.g.: "Most of the characters in OMAM lack the strength of character to change their lives" To what extent do you agree with this statement?
b) Write in character as character x?
And a number of other forms.
I usually recommend taking the statement question if you can. If not, turn the question into a statement and then write it at the top of the page e.g. "Steinbeck uses the character of Crooks in a number of ways to illustrate mainly negative sides of 1930s society.". This is the one-liner to start your essay. You can try to make it clever and catchy but the most simple are statements as above.
Now, from 2015, 66% of the marks are for context. It doesn't matter if it's a character question, they want to hear about 30s America. That doesn't mean they want paragraphs full of detailed historical analysis. No, all they want is to see a few links to show that you understand that the book was set in a different time.
Then, think of what the question is asking you. And read it over a few times. Think of a few key points in the book that you could talk about and a few quotes you could use in the essay. Write about 5 main points you can talk about. So, for the Crooks essay, we might list: Squalid living conditions, Racism, Loneliness, Lynching and Powerlessness as aspects of 1930s America.
Then, make sure you can back up each point with evidence from the text. There's no point saying "Crooks is used to illustrate loneliness in 1930s America" if you don't have a quote and a little clever something you can say about the quote to show that you understand its meaning. Here, a good quote would be "a guy gets too lonely and he gets sick" or “S’pose you didn’t have nobody?”. Then delve into the quote a little more. Why did you pick this quote? What interesting words are there? What do they tell us about the character? Why did Steinbeck use them? How do they make you feel?. So, I might say
"Crooks has suffered a life of solitude and segregation which was commonplace in the darkness of 30s America. When Crooks says "s'pose you didn't have nobody", he is almost bullying Lennie and his face "lights" with pleasure when he does so. This suggests that he is very jealous of George and Lennie's relationship and shows he is very lonely. The way he gets mean to Lennie is, in my opinion, not a sign of maliciousness but rather evidence that Crooks is "sick" of being alone and "not allowed to go in the bunkhouse". He tries to make Lennie understand what true loneliness is like. In 1930's America, segregation was commonplace due to controversial 'Jim Crow' laws. This would have contributed significantly to Crooks' loneliness"
Here, a point is made. A few quotes picked out and discussed to some extent. Context is then brought in. This is a bare bones paragraph and really nothing exciting is said. To get marks, you have to say clever things and look at things from different angles rather than regurgitating a revision guide. Pick a few quotes that are more abstract or analyse character or images in new and creative ways.
That's kind of it. Good luck:smile:
Original post by zakya
It may be Slim which is what i predict and also many are saying the same thing you may just want to go over some ideas of how he has natural authority, he understands why George and Lennie get along and the fact that even though he is a normal worker ''jerk line skinner'' his opinion is ''law''

i WOULD SAY SLIM TOO sorry for caps
Original post by valentinadimaio_
I was predicting the last scene as that has never come up and it is the last year, could be about lost dreams and no matter how much Geroge and Lennie thought they could be different, they couldn't. Their ending was almost inevitable.

Or, i was thinking Curley? never come up before, Curley's wife has about two times already.

He has come up :smile:
How is curley important to the novel as a whole ?
Original post by rahah7
What kinda speculation would you make?😂 And don't be nervous you seem as though you've done your fair share of revision just go in there do you best Nd you'll never have to do that part of English lit again🙌🏻😂

So you analyse what has happened, and then you speculate why it's happened and what it means I think but not exactly sure. Or maybe it's analyse what and why, and speculate what it means. Idk, I've done a bit, not too much tho. And I hope it goes okay tomorrow, sure it will xx
How would you answer a question on innocence ?
Reply 18
Original post by andreigheorghe
The first step is to choose the question. In your case, you want the character question. These can come in a number of forms. You can get a :
b)How does Steinbeck use character x to present aspects of life in 1930s America?
b)Statement question e.g.: "Most of the characters in OMAM lack the strength of character to change their lives" To what extent do you agree with this statement?
b) Write in character as character x?
And a number of other forms.
I usually recommend taking the statement question if you can. If not, turn the question into a statement and then write it at the top of the page e.g. "Steinbeck uses the character of Crooks in a number of ways to illustrate mainly negative sides of 1930s society.". This is the one-liner to start your essay. You can try to make it clever and catchy but the most simple are statements as above.
Now, from 2015, 66% of the marks are for context. It doesn't matter if it's a character question, they want to hear about 30s America. That doesn't mean they want paragraphs full of detailed historical analysis. No, all they want is to see a few links to show that you understand that the book was set in a different time.
Then, think of what the question is asking you. And read it over a few times. Think of a few key points in the book that you could talk about and a few quotes you could use in the essay. Write about 5 main points you can talk about. So, for the Crooks essay, we might list: Squalid living conditions, Racism, Loneliness, Lynching and Powerlessness as aspects of 1930s America.
Then, make sure you can back up each point with evidence from the text. There's no point saying "Crooks is used to illustrate loneliness in 1930s America" if you don't have a quote and a little clever something you can say about the quote to show that you understand its meaning. Here, a good quote would be "a guy gets too lonely and he gets sick" or “S’pose you didn’t have nobody?”. Then delve into the quote a little more. Why did you pick this quote? What interesting words are there? What do they tell us about the character? Why did Steinbeck use them? How do they make you feel?. So, I might say
"Crooks has suffered a life of solitude and segregation which was commonplace in the darkness of 30s America. When Crooks says "s'pose you didn't have nobody", he is almost bullying Lennie and his face "lights" with pleasure when he does so. This suggests that he is very jealous of George and Lennie's relationship and shows he is very lonely. The way he gets mean to Lennie is, in my opinion, not a sign of maliciousness but rather evidence that Crooks is "sick" of being alone and "not allowed to go in the bunkhouse". He tries to make Lennie understand what true loneliness is like. In 1930's America, segregation was commonplace due to controversial 'Jim Crow' laws. This would have contributed significantly to Crooks' loneliness"
Here, a point is made. A few quotes picked out and discussed to some extent. Context is then brought in. This is a bare bones paragraph and really nothing exciting is said. To get marks, you have to say clever things and look at things from different angles rather than regurgitating a revision guide. Pick a few quotes that are more abstract or analyse character or images in new and creative ways.
That's kind of it. Good luck:smile:

Thanks a lot this is so helpful! 🙌🏻🙌🏻
Reply 19
Original post by nisha.sri
He has come up :smile:
How is curley important to the novel as a whole ?

oh, my mistake :smile:

pretty sure he's relevent because he is an example of how much a person can want authority, even in the situation of the novel and when it is set. during the Great Depression, He wants everyone to be scared of him, and anyone that gets in his way (lennie, as an example), ends up being his target. I feel as though curley is often seen in a negative way, when infact, if he did come up in a character q, talking about the other side of him wanting to be the king of the ranch- even when Slim is, means so much to him as if he has nothing else. i may be completley wrong haha.

what about you, what do you think about curley's role in the novel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending