The Student Room Group

Skinny/Tall Going Gym????

Okay, so I am extremely skinny and very tall. I'm about 6 foot 2 tall and weigh about 40 or 50 kg.. I haven't weighed myself in months. I've always had social anxiety about my weight and that I look very weird. My friends persuaded me to go to the gym, but I'm not exactly sure if going to the gym is the right thing to do now. I try and eat as much as I can, but I just don't seem to gain any weight.

If I should go to the gym, can someone please tell me which types of machines I should use. Should I drink protein shakes? And how often should I go to the gym.

Thanks!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Avoid machines, they set you up for future injuries, you need to to teach yourself proper movement patterns that are essential to humans - Squat, Deadlift, Bent over rows, Bench-press and then gradually start adding more isolation exercises. Start on a strength based program such as a 5x5 one (you can find one easily on the internet) - DONT EGO LIFT! Do dynamic warmups before training and static stretching after. Try to eat clean protein and not protein shakes as they are extremely processed, PM me if you need any tips. I'd recommend watching a few videos on how to do exercises properly so you don't get into bad habits. If you can't gain weight eat more, eat alot of carbohydrate dense foods - Rice, vegetables - make sure you get your essential nutrients, it's not as easy as just going to the gym, it takes hardwork and dedication.
All the answers you need are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Are you sure you're 40-50kg? I was just over 60kg when I started and I was 6'2'', I was like a twig. I'm broad-shouldered and my rib cage is pretty big but I doubt I'd have another 10-20kg of mass on you just off of that.
At 50kg for your height you'd be really quit underweight, let alone at 40kg. Are you sure those numbers are right?

You need to start tracking your calories. You won't gain weight unless you eat over your TDEE in calories.

TDEE calculator:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

And with a weight that low you've probably been only just eating maintenance (TDEE) some days and eating below maintenance a lot of the rest. You don't get that underweight by eating enough.

I don't recommenced you start upping your activity level and going to the gym until get control of your food intake, as the higher your activity level the higher your TDEE. And if you're going to the gym and still eating the same amount you will just lose more weight.

I recommend you start tracking your calories for a few weeks and be completely honest with yourself, don't log a whole sandwich if you only ate half ect. I recommend using myfitnesspal.co.uk.

If you track for a few weeks (without changing your eating habits) you'll get an idea how how much you are eating a day on average which will paint a picture as to why you are the weight you are. It'll help, trust me.

Once you've done that you need to eat higher than your TDEE in order to gain weight. With eating approximately 500 calories more per day gaining you 1lb of fat per week (1lb of fat =3500 calories, 500x 7 days = 3500). But I'd imagine you want to gain muscle as well, as such you'll want to eat a high protein diet and follow the advice in the FAQs on building muscle.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zeeennn
Okay, so I am extremely skinny and very tall. I'm about 6 foot 2 tall and weigh about 40 or 50 kg.. I haven't weighed myself in months. I've always had social anxiety about my weight and that I look very weird. My friends persuaded me to go to the gym, but I'm not exactly sure if going to the gym is the right thing to do now. I try and eat as much as I can, but I just don't seem to gain any weight.

If I should go to the gym, can someone please tell me which types of machines I should use. Should I drink protein shakes? And how often should I go to the gym.

As others have said it sounds like you need to look at your eating habits, and why you seem to be eating so little and whether this is a long standing psychological issue that perhaps you need to look at addressing first?

I would not recommend protein shakes at all in this situation, because you need to learn to eat normal food in quantity first. The shakes can get you into a very bad habit, and your going to get no value from them in this first instance.

As for the gym? Exercise is always good, but I would really recommend you think hard about why you may be eating so little to start with, as if you continue this and go to the gym your going to do more harm to your body.
don't take protein shakes just eat lots of food and follow this program https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
Reply 6
Original post by Zeeennn

Ok let me just clear this whole thing up... Listen closely because this is the truth and the only truth don't listen to other people that tell you to eat more **** because they are wrong.

Eating tonnes of **** is not good either way if your gaing fat or not. Its better that you were eating loads of **** and have fat on the outside as this is better. Eating tonnes of **** and not gaining "outside fat" is extremely bad as your body stores fat inside, this is the bad type of fat that leads to heart disease and blocked arteries etc.. Even though it doesn't seem like you're gaining fat your getting fat inside and becoming unhealthy. You are killing yourself and you dont even know it.

Eat healthy foods. Ok like say eat a chicken burger after the gym because you can afford this, eat two or three but make sure they have large chicken breasts inside. After the gym make sure to eat a massive meal macro rich in all 3 macros Protein fat and carbs.

You want to eat before the gym about an hour to 30 minutes before this will allow all the food you eat to be used as energy during the workout. Because you're 6ft2 and weight 50 ish KG you should eat 3500 calories per day you go gym doing this for one year will surly build you up to roughly 70k next year.

Don't ever eat **** food even though it "looks" like you aren't gaining weight. Don't even do this without going gym you are damaging your body more. Think about this, the harder you go at the gym the more you can eat? Go to the gym half ass is for an hour then eat 3000 calories, go to the gym and go all out rest 30 seconds become tired after every set eat 4000 calories per day. It's really quite simple.

Never fall into the trap of thinking you need to eat alot to gain weight. As soon as your body realises that your muscles are being used they will slowly use more "Fuel" to build them bigger. You really want arms that were build by MC Donalds? they will never be good.

Hope this helps.
Reply 7
thank you all so much for the replies! :smile:
Original post by Angry Bird
don't take protein shakes just eat lots of food and follow this program https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Why not? ICF 5x5 is a ****ing dreadful program as well I might add - 30 set beginner workouts, who has time for that **** :rofl:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Why not? ICF 5x5 is a ****ing dreadful program as well I might add - 30 set beginner workouts, who has time for that **** :rofl:

Whey protein suppresses your appetite
Original post by Angry Bird
Whey protein suppresses your appetite

So does eating loads of meat :lol: Getting 100g of protein from a good quality whey is always gonna be easier than getting the same amount from food sources.

Hmmm I dunno Candito recommends it pretty highly as a good bodybuilding strength building program compromise. Since Starting Strength is purely for strength.

Also whey doesn't supress my apetite at all, infact 2 scoops and a banana PWO is perfect because I'm still hungry enough when I get home to eat again.
Original post by Zeeennn

Damn and I thought I was small at 5'9 weighing 49kg.

I know them feels brah! :jumphug: #skinnychronicles :dumbells:

I'd defo recommend it imagine 1-2 years later looking like a completely different person! :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Hmmm I dunno Candito recommends it pretty highly as a good bodybuilding strength building program compromise. Since Starting Strength is purely for strength.

Also whey doesn't supress my apetite at all, infact 2 scoops and a banana PWO is perfect because I'm still hungry enough when I get home to eat again.

Well, I think it's ****. Why even compromise when, if your focus is to bodybuild, then just go on a beginner's bodybuilding routine? No beginner needs to be doing near-on 30 sets per workout, spending nearly 2 hours in the gym. I've got my best pal, a rank beginner, on my torso/limbs (modified upper/lower) split doing straight-sets of 6-10 and he's getting stronger every workout. AND he's in a mild deficit. In and out of the gym in about an hour and no area is left neglected over the space of the two workouts. Typically have him doing about 20 sets per workout.
The notion that you MUST do a strength program as a beginner and you MUST do a strength program to get stronger is all BS. I didn't start on the typical 5x5 routine at all and I made superb progress, as is my mate.
Well, I think it's ****. Why even compromise when, if your focus is to bodybuild, then just go on a beginner's bodybuilding routine? No beginner needs to be doing near-on 30 sets per workout, spending nearly 2 hours in the gym. I've got my best pal, a rank beginner, on my torso/limbs (modified upper/lower) split doing straight-sets of 6-10 and he's getting stronger every workout. AND he's in a mild deficit. In and out of the gym in about an hour and no area is left neglected over the space of the two workouts. Typically have him doing about 20 sets per workout.
The notion that you MUST do a strength program as a beginner and you MUST do a strength program to get stronger is all BS. I didn't start on the typical 5x5 routine at all and I made superb progress, as is my mate.

Well yeah I guess it's all relative to your goals, tbf OP does just want to gain muscle so it's fair enough. But as someone who started off on Starting Strength and got a 140 3x5 squat within 6 months I definitely think there's merit to strength programs for those interested in athletic performance. :smile:
Sweet Lord.

I started at 65kgs at 5'10-11 and I was a stick insect.

Find out your TDEE and times it by 1.1. Eat the resulting number of calories daily and eat about 0.8+g protein per pound of bodyweight. Dont worry if you eat too many calories on a given day.

As far as programs, I'd suggest Mike Matthews' Bigger Leaner Stronger. It features heavy compound weight lifting and doesn't neglect parts of the physique like Starting Strength does. The workouts are also not a neverending slog as they're typically from 12-20 sets. The guy who created the program runs a site called muscleforlife. You can find articles with sample workout splits there and the guy responds to all comments/questions on articles after a few days.

Alternatively, reddit.com/r/fitness is also a great place to ask questions and they have multiple workout plans created by users there.
So does eating loads of meat :lol: Getting 100g of protein from a good quality whey is always gonna be easier than getting the same amount from food sources.
Most whey tastes like garbage and you'd have to drink a fair bit to get 100g protein, especially since companies inflate how much protein you get per serving. Much easier to eat low fat cottage cheese or Greek yoghurt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dairychocolate

Most whey tastes like garbage and you'd have to drink a fair bit to get 100g protein, especially since companies inflate how much protein you get per serving. Much easier to eat low fat cottage cheese or Greek yoghurt.

So get unflavoured, cheaper and practically tasteless. Very easy to drink.

Bloating, gas + protein farts.

Overrated, IMO. Can't believe whey is as popular as it is.

You and I both know that unflavoured tastes pretty horrid
Original post by dairychocolate
Bloating, gas + protein farts.

Overrated, IMO. Can't believe whey is as popular as it is.

Per gram it's by far the cheapest source of protein.

Quick Reply