The Student Room Group

Obscure characters for AQA English Lit tomorrow

I'm dong AIC and OMAM. How likely is it that obscure characters like Edna, Whit, Aunt Clara and Carlson will come up tomorrow? Do you think it's possible, and has anyone got any ideas for points if they do come up. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Izzebie
I'm dong AIC and OMAM. How likely is it that obscure characters like Edna, Whit, Aunt Clara and Carlson will come up tomorrow? Do you think it's possible, and has anyone got any ideas for points if they do come up. Thanks! :smile:

Whit and Aunt Clara barely appear in the novel so I highly doubt they'll come up. However, Carlson could be a possibility. You could talk about how he acts in the killing of Candy's dog scene and at the end of the book when Lennie has been killed.
I've heard lots of people saying how Carlson will come up but I doubt AQA will be that mean. I personally think that a Curley or George question will come up or a question about the lifestyle of the ranch workers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
--
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by guneetkhatri
Could be a Curley or Carlson question. If it does turn out to be Carlson, there are a few things you could mention:

- He represents the archetypal ranch hand because he feels the inability to feel compassion which creates suffering of his harsh and degrading existence. Steinbeck uses his character to show that the suffering of hardened and emotionless ranch workers should be pitied.

- He says "It's darken'n hell in the bunkhouse" which is very important, because it reflects the lives of the ranch hands, their lack of hope and the sadness of their lives in the bunkhouse.

- He is also known to be selfish and shows a lack of empathy and is detached from the other ranch hands (doesn't feel Candy's pain or understand why George isn't happy that Lennie dies)

I'm not too confident about it but I think that if you interpret it in your own way, and literally write down what comes in your head. You might get the best marks because examiners want something original! Good luck!!:smile::biggrin:

Thank you so much that's really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply