The Student Room Group

Choosing the A-level

HI, so I'm gonna be doing my A-levels next year and I am trying to decide what to pick. I really like maths and did my maths GCSE early. I know what to go to university and do a maths degree, so I'm gonna do Maths and Further Maths at A-level but I don't know what to do for more third one I'm not a very academic person but I'm thinking of Economics, are there any other suggests on what I should do? Or if people do economics have any opinions on it that could help me?
I don't know anything about maths or economics but I do know that you'll be starting with 4 subjects not just 3!! (Well some people do more or less but that's the norm.) Most people do 4 AS levels and then drop one after the first year.
What did you get in gcse maths and when did you take it? If you got a good grade (hopefully A*) early then Maths and Further should be fine. :smile:

To be honest, if you don't know what to pick, I'd recommend psychology - it's interesting and relatively easy to get a good grade in, and surprisingly maths ties in quite well with the research methods in psychology (especially at A2 where a lot of it is statistics).

Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Psychology is quite a good combination (I'd recommend taking 4 since you'll probably want to choose what to drop, especially since Further Maths gets MUCH harder at A2).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A.Charlotte
HI, so I'm gonna be doing my A-levels next year and I am trying to decide what to pick. I really like maths and did my maths GCSE early. I know what to go to university and do a maths degree, so I'm gonna do Maths and Further Maths at A-level but I don't know what to do for more third one I'm not a very academic person but I'm thinking of Economics, are there any other suggests on what I should do? Or if people do economics have any opinions on it that could help me?

If you want to do a maths degree, definitely pick Economics, it's really interesting and easy. I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History and Government and Politics. And I don't really enjoy Gov & pol so I'm dropping it this year. Therefore, I urge you to take subjects only after researching their specifications and what you'll actually be studying
Reply 4
Maths, FM, Economics and Physics is what I want to do. I think it would be good for you because these are mainly mathematical subject. Best of luck.
Reply 5
I got an A, but at the moment I am doing further maths at GCSE level and my maths teacher thinks I should get an A* in that.

Physiology was one of my chooses because I would love to do why people do things and things like that.

To do four a levels know they want you to have 4 or more A-A* grades and I not think I can get that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest