The Student Room Group

Trading course to internship?

I was thinking of paying for a 4 week online trading course.

Just wondering if that would help me get an sales and trading internship at a bank?

Also would it make my Cv stand out since, I have trading experience where as most will not when applying.
Reply 1
Original post by Ryoken
I was thinking of paying for a 4 week online trading course.

Just wondering if that would help me get an sales and trading internship at a bank?

Also would it make my Cv stand out since, I have trading experience where as most will not when applying.

If you think the knowledge you will get from it outweighs the cost and is better than free resources out there, than go for it.

But overall, i don't think it will be a huge differentiating factor as there a ton of courses out there. Although it could be a sign of your motivation.

Btw, if it's not a secret, what course are you considering to take?
Won't really help much on CV as it's not exactly work experience. It will help tons in interviews though.
So it would show that I have an interest in trading and financial markets. But it won't show I have experience just the fact I have knowledge of it. So it can still help then in my application, right?
Original post by mr T 999
So it would show that I have an interest in trading and financial markets. But it won't show I have experience just the fact I have knowledge of it. So it can still help then in my application, right?
Well you wouldn't for example put down on your CV that you've done research online to learn about trading/financial markets because well, no sh*t you've done that. Sure paying for an actual course is different and yeah it will show you have the interest but I'm not sure that amount that it strengthens your application is that significant for it to be worth the money.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Well you wouldn't for example put down on your CV that you've done research online to learn about trading/financial markets because well, no sh*t you've done that. Sure paying for an actual course is different and yeah it will show you have the interest but I'm not sure that amount that it strengthens your application is that significant for it to be worth the money.

Yeah I guess your right there. What about paying for a trading internship at amplify trading. You work in london at their trading desk, along with professional traders.

Learning the ins and out of the business like you would in a normal intership. Plus the company has connections with some of the big banks. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

(BTW I'm only using that as last resort if I don't get a s&t internship)
Yeah I guess your right there. What about paying for a trading internship at amplify trading. You work in london at their trading desk, along with professional traders.

Learning the ins and out of the business like you would in a normal intership. Plus the company has connections with some of the big banks. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

That'll be a lot more helpful than the online course as while not technically work experience you can still put it under that section on your CV and will look about as good as the s&t internship. You don't really have to say it's a paid internship either unless asked in an interview.
Reply 7
Original post by Terry Tibbs

Yeah your right about that seems stupid if I did an online course. Thanks for the help do, you just saved me from wasting my money
Reply 8

This sounds interesting , I might do that myself if I don't get an internship
Reply 9
What kind of stuff does the trading course cover, and how much is it? I ask because I imagine a lot of the theoretical stuff you could quite easily learn for free, and I doubt the trading experience would be as useful (or as interesting to any trader interviewing you) than if you just traded your own money, or a demo account.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending