The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Worth applying for BSc Economics?

Hi, I'm wondering whether I should apply for this course as I know they like further maths Yet I only do AS Further Maths...would I have a chance?

gcse: 10A*
as: 3A in Maths Geography French (economics is linear course)

A2 predicted A*A*A in Maths Economics Geography and an A in AS FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I don't know how the admissions office work but as far as the content goes... The Mathematics component you take in the first year (MA100) bare little to no resemblance to the material in the full further maths syllabus. Full FM will help in the sense that it will expose you to more rigorous Mathematics, but a lot of material you learn in FP2 and FP3 (e.g. Complex numbers, Polar coordinates, conic sections) are not present. There's 'only' linear algebra and calculus.

The statistics module (ST102) again bares little to no resemblance to the material taught in the FM course syllabus (of course some techniques will be the same but a FM student can fail it as much as an AS FM student does, there really isn't an advantage for a full FM student)

The more important question though, is that is the FM AS situation dictated by compulsion or your personal choice?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
0% chance
They only really look for AS maths, you have more than enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending