The Student Room Group

At a loss as to what to do!

So hi, this is my first post (that I can think of) and its come at a time of crisis. Also I don't know if there's a specific area this kind of thing is meant to be posted so hopefully a moderator can help there.

I am currently in my 3rd year of Medicine which is the first clinical year and I am at a complete loss. I have barely passed my first 2 year and am struggling/failing this year so far.

A bit more background on me. Prior to this course I was a 'straight A student' not as a brag but to mention that I have the capability to do the course. I have completed a BSc passing with a high 2:1 as well and went straight from that into this course and I really really want to have a break from it all (I haven't strictly left education ever!).

I feel completely unmotivated to study, I can't concentrate at all and I just don't enjoy any aspect of the course at the moment. I haven't gotten a therapist or tutor to talk to about this stuff since I am generally a really private person and don't voice any of this but I seriously don't know what to do. I have tried to get my GP to talk to me but he de-registered me for not going since I haven't been ill since I registered. I am also in quite a financial bind, from having loans for my previous degree and paying for this one outright I feel immense pressure to continue the degree from my family.

I want to know how long you can take from studying to do your own thing/prepare yourself. I want to complete the course but I just don't think I am in the right place right now. I have looked up some possibilities that would interest me which generally revolve around research rather than study. Also what channels do you suggest I go through for this?

Any advice would be really helpful because I seriously am just at a loss.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Talk to the university to establish for certain what your options are. If you are in the third year I am presuming that you only have a few weeks left. So the question shifts to what are you plans after achieving a mediocre post graduate qualification which may not get you onto the career pathway that you were initially pursuing?

If you have a viable idea (as alluded to in the OP) discuss it with the careers support team at your university for support in pursuing it. They are paid for you to utilise in this way.
In terms of the GP thing...

GPs get part of their income based on how many people are registered with them - I've never heard of being deregistered for not going. You only need to go and re-register :smile: - possibly with ID required. I do know that many people get de-registered because they don't reply to an NHS letter attempting to verify their address, which may have got lost in the post (It's a random anti-fraud thing, I think?) - then receptionists and patient are very confused as why they are not registered :biggrin: (Worked as a receptionist for a year!)

---

Your med school should have a welfare person whom no doubt will be talking to other students with similar problems - you won't be alone. Medics just put on a brave face :wink:

Presumably you're near the end of year 3? Work as hard as you can to pass this year and you should get a better qualification when transferring to another course - as opposed to leaving in year 2. But your med school welfare person is definitely your number 1 port of call. And as CCC75 said, they'll / you'll also interact with the careers team at the uni too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest