The Student Room Group

Finding out which universities will be available for clearing

I was wondering where I can view which courses will be available during clearing - on the day. I'm curious to see which courses will likely be open for when I want to apply.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I was wondering where I can view which courses will be available during clearing - on the day. I'm curious to see which courses will likely be open for when I want to apply.

You can find last years paper but otherwise there's no list anywhere until clearing opens as such.

UCAS clearing vacancies will be shown on the UCAS course search from 5 July.

Vacancies for results day should be available over the whole period this year (previously UCAS have restricted the course search around results days) but are unlikely to be reliable until the day before A level results.

Are you planning to apply for a place through Clearing this year? If so then getting your application in to UCAS in early July will put you in the best position for this - applying through clearing without a reference or with a rushed PS (or even just starting a UCAS application on results day) will make life a lot more complicated and stressful.
Original post by PQ
UCAS clearing vacancies will be shown on the UCAS course search from 5 July.

Vacancies for results day should be available over the whole period this year (previously UCAS have restricted the course search around results days) but are unlikely to be reliable until the day before A level results.

Are you planning to apply for a place through Clearing this year? If so then getting your application in to UCAS in early July will put you in the best position for this - applying through clearing without a reference or with a rushed PS (or even just starting a UCAS application on results day) will make life a lot more complicated and stressful.

I'm assuming this can be accessed from the UCAS website without any sort of registration?

I plan on applying next year. I'm a mature student and plan on completing my studies in one year. I'm sitting externally so have no way of attaining predicted grades - which effects offers. So I was hoping to complete it then go through clearing.
Original post by claireestelle
You can find last years paper but otherwise there's no list anywhere until clearing opens as such.

Where can I find last years? I've been looking for a while seem to just find articles which don't offer enough details.
Where can I find last years? I've been looking for a while seem to just find articles which don't offer enough details.

You'd need to get a copy of the telegraph from last year.
@PQ made a thread with early clearing vacancies last year which might give you an idea of which universities could be in clearing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2766660
I'm assuming this can be accessed from the UCAS website without any sort of registration?

I plan on applying next year. I'm a mature student and plan on completing my studies in one year. I'm sitting externally so have no way of attaining predicted grades - which effects offers. So I was hoping to complete it then go through clearing.

If you're applying next year then it's still worth applying in the main cycle - not every university will expect predicted grades from a mature candidate in your situation. If you approach them directly before applying to ask about whether they'll accept an application without predictions then you will be in a stronger situation.

Even without predictions (and even if you chose to apply straight into Clearing) you will still need a reference and a PS and a full application - the only difference is you don't have 5 initial choices on your application. So even if your plan is to apply late to get a place once you have your results then it's best to be prepared and have you application all together and submitted before results - then when you phone on results day universities will be able to see your application and your results electronically without you having to arrange that all after the event.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but next year will be the first year that English students are sitting the new style of linear A-levels. Due to this, it's very possible that a much higher number than usual may significantly miss their offers and do much worse than predicted. If this is the case, clearing will be a mess and the courses available may be very different to those available in previous years.

However, if you still want to research, I'd suggest buying a copy of the telegraph on results day, as well as going to your local library and requesting the 2014 and 2015 issues, so that you can see the courses that have been available recently.

As @PQ says, most universities will consider mature students differently from someone applying straight out of school, so it's worth approaching universities in advance to see if they'd consider you before clearing, as applying via clearing is often messy and can be a bit of a pot luck process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending