The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University: 4th in the 2017 Guardian League Table

Hi everyone

Hope you’ve had great weekends.

Just letting you know that we've had some more great news - we’ve been ranked 4th in the 2017 Guardian League Table, directly behind Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews.

That means we’ve climbed 7 places from last year to secure our highest ever league table position. Check out the full story here.

It’s been a strong year for Loughborough so far!

Amy :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
How have I never actually heard of Loughborough before this? And no offense but how is it possibly better than UCL/Southampton/Nottingham/Exeter.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by iasked
How have I never actually heard of Loughborough before this? And no offense but how is it possibly better than UCL/Southampton/Nottingham/Exeter.

Because sometimes the quality of a university doesn't always correlate with its prestige.
Reply 3
Also, so proud of Loughborough for getting this far! We deserve to be this high in the League table #LboroFamily
I wouldn't take the Guardian rankings too seriously as they're based on undergrad and student satisfaction surveys, which, lets be real is very subjective and not at all telling of academic strengths. I would look more at the Times rankings and that too, go by the faculty you're interested in studying.
Reply 5
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi everyone

Hope you’ve had great weekends.

Just letting you know that we've had some more great news - we’ve been ranked 4th in the 2017 Guardian League Table, directly behind Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews.

That means we’ve climbed 7 places from last year to secure our highest ever league table position. Check out the full story here.

It’s been a strong year for Loughborough so far!

Amy :biggrin:

LoL It's so ridiculous that you base your prestige on this unreliable ranking. The fact that your Loughborough is ranked above LSE & UCL & Warwick & Durham & KCL reveals all the foolish matters of this league table.

Maybe you should have a look at some other reliable league table like followings to see how your Loughborough stands compared to those world-renowned institutions I've mentioned.

1. Times good university guide & The complete university guide
2. QS world university ranking
3. Times higher education
4. ARWU
5. US college world ranking

You can see that your Loughborough isn't even ranked in top 100 or even 200 in the world while those UNI I've mentioned are all well ranked in top 10-100.

Accept the truth as your undeserving proud isn't admitted by any people outside Guardian.

Also have a look at the following discussion to see how people in the UK and international students perceive about Guardian ranking especially for the fake rise of many ... universities including yours (I'm not implying anything just see for yourself)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4111435
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, I'm done with university rankings forever
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Well, I'm done with university rankings forever

Meanwhile one of my BBB insurance choices was put at 3rd, 1st, 2nd and 30th in different years for my course lol.
Can people stop getting out of their pram? Look, clearly rankings take a number of things into consideration and different things are important to different people. Is it true to say lboro is 4th for research? Not for most subjects, but lboro does excel in some. No, it doesn't have the highest entry requirements but there's more to than uni than that. That's one of the reasons why there's the student satisfaction survey. The quality of teaching, the SU, social aspects, student services. It's quite clear the guardian bases their ranking on student satisfaction. If you want research, teaching quality, average entry tariff then look for that in rankings but don't look at a ranking that includes things you don't consider important and then get mad because you don't think it shows what you think it should show.

If you look at the link in the OP it would be quite clear to you that lboro isn't claiming it's more academically rigorous than Durham, Imperial, Warwick etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending