The Student Room Group

Looking after your brother

Hello Students,

Maybe it's not the best place to ask this sort of question, but I'll try.

So my parents are living this summer and I'm going to stay with my brother (I'm 19, he's 14) for at least a year alone. I was wondering, will I become his guardian automatically, or do I need to apply or something to get the parental responsibilities. Because as you may guess, I'll need to sign all his documents etc during the year, as I'll be responsible for him.

Cheers, lads. Maybe anyone is in the similar situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Any ideas? :s A quote from gov.uk page:
You’re known as a family and friends carer if you’re a grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother, sister or family friend looking after a child who can’t be cared for by their birth parents. ( https://www.gov.uk/looking-after-someone-elses-child )

Does that mean I am okay to look after and be responsible for him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Adomas1990
Any ideas? :s A quote from gov.uk page:
You’re known as a family and friends carer if you’re a grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother, sister or family friend looking after a child who can’t be cared for by their birth parents. ( https://www.gov.uk/looking-after-someone-elses-child )

Does that mean I am okay to look after and be responsible for him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes

They are leaving, you've written living (which helps :wink:

Ask at the Advice Bureau, they'd assist in any questions in relation mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your parents need to sort all this out before they go. What on earth are they doing? not only leaving you responsible but not having a proper care plan and support in place?

Bloody hell, I only went on holiday to Australia for 3 weeks and had my will rewritten with guardian arrangements as my daughter was only 17 at the time and her brother 20.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ViewOnlyMum
Your parents need to sort all this out before they go. What on earth are they doing? not only leaving you responsible but not having a proper care plan and support in place?

Bloody hell, I only went on holiday to Australia for 3 weeks and had my will rewritten with guardian arrangements as my daughter was only 17 at the time and her brother 20.

Things happens. We have some time, so I'm trying to sort out everything asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending