The Student Room Group

AQA Religious Studies Life Death and Beyond RST4A

Hello everyone

Since there is not a recent threat I thought I would create one.
How is everyone getting on with their revision for this topic? I myself am struggling a lot.

Also, what do people think might be the predictions for this years paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which part of Rst4a are you doing
Original post by arrow_h
Which part of Rst4a are you doing

Nature and Value
Apocalyptic and Eschatological
Importance of present life and afterlife
Death and beyond

how about you?
Reply 3
Original post by secretreviser
Nature and Value
Apocalyptic and Eschatological
Importance of present life and afterlife
Death and beyond

how about you?

YES SAMEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have any predictions??
Original post by arrow_h
YES SAMEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have any predictions??

No I don't, do you have any predictions?

So stuck - finding revision for this so so hard!

Do you have any notes you would be willing to share or exchange?

Private message me if you like :smile:
Reply 5
No I don't, do you have any predictions?

So stuck - finding revision for this so so hard!

Do you have any notes you would be willing to share or exchange?

Private message me if you like :smile:

Unfortunately my only notes are my flash cards :frown:
Original post by arrow_h
Unfortunately my only notes are my flash cards :frown:

That's a shame, I'm so stuck.

how are you finding your revision and what do you think will come up? :smile:
Reply 7
That's a shame, I'm so stuck.

how are you finding your revision and what do you think will come up? :smile:

I think it will be something about nature/value of human life and maybe attitudes to death.
You don't think eschatological/apocalyptic will come up?

Nature came up last year, and so did death.
Original post by arrow_h
I think it will be something about nature/value of human life and maybe attitudes to death.

You dont think eschatolgical/apocalyptic will come up?

Reply 10
You dont think eschatolgical/apocalyptic will come up?

2011 - Present life
Esch & Apoc
2012- Value of human life
Death & Beyond
2013- Nature of human life
Attitudes to death
2014- Esch
Present life and life after death
2015- Nature of Human life
Life beyond death

There seems to be a pattern that's why
Original post by arrow_h
2011 - Present life
Esch & Apoc
2012- Value of human life
Death & Beyond
2013- Nature of human life
Attitudes to death
2014- Esch
Present life and life after death
2015- Nature of Human life
Life beyond death

There seems to be a pattern that's why

Hmmm, like your thinking. Have you done any practise essays?
Reply 12
Hmmm, like your thinking. Have you done any practise essays?

Yes I have wbu?
Original post by arrow_h
Yes I have wbu?

Yes a few, not as many as I would have liked..
How have you been told to structure your essays?
Reply 14
Yes a few, not as many as I would have liked..
How have you been told to structure your essays?

Well first we give an introduction, this could be a defintion of one the words in the question like human life. Then we talk about religious perspectives such as Christianity, Buddhism, Islam. Then we give secular views such as philosophers like Sartre Darwin etc. then conclude.
Original post by arrow_h
Well first we give an introduction, this could be a defintion of one the words in the question like human life. Then we talk about religious perspectives such as Christianity, Buddhism, Islam. Then we give secular views such as philosophers like Sartre Darwin etc. then conclude.

Ah see we've been told to do:Intro (defining key words)Main paragraphs with key ideas, and comparing/contrasting ideas. (Have your teachers not taught you this way? I've spoken to a few people and they havent been told to compare/contrast which I find strange..Conclusion. Have you been told to take an in-depth approach or a brief one?
Reply 16
Ah see we've been told to do:Intro (defining key words)Main paragraphs with key ideas, and comparing/contrasting ideas. (Have your teachers not taught you this way? I've spoken to a few people and they havent been told to compare/contrast which I find strange..Conclusion. Have you been told to take an in-depth approach or a brief one?

What do you mean by comparing and contrasting. I compare similarities and differences between religious views. And yes we take an in-depth approach
Original post by arrow_h
What do you mean by comparing and contrasting. I compare similarities and differences between religious views. And yes we take an in-depth approach

For example, like this: Most Christians have a transitional approach to death and beyond; you transition from this earthly, mortal life to a greater place where you can be spiritually or physically connected to God. Normally this place would be either Heaven or Hell. There is, however, disagreement as to whether it will be a physical resurrection, or a spiritual one. Many have approached is as being physical due to Jesus’ physical bodily resurrection. This is central to Kerygma, Christians central teaching, and if it did not happen then it could put the whole of the Christian faith in jeopardy. However, others see it as more of a spiritual resurrection, having a dualistic approach. This would mean that the body would stay on earth, but the soul, the essence of you, would transition into the beyond. This idea is supported by St Paul in 1 Corinthians 15, where he talks about the difference between ‘heavenly bodies’ and ‘earthly bodies.’ Some have suggested that this divergence in thought possibly comes from the difference between Hebrew traditions (monism) and Greek ones (dualism). For many, belief in some kind of afterlife and that death is not the end is central to the Christian faith. (Is this similar to how you structure yours? Also are you taking the Old Testament paper as well?)
Reply 18
For example, like this: Most Christians have a transitional approach to death and beyond; you transition from this earthly, mortal life to a greater place where you can be spiritually or physically connected to God. Normally this place would be either Heaven or Hell. There is, however, disagreement as to whether it will be a physical resurrection, or a spiritual one. Many have approached is as being physical due to Jesus’ physical bodily resurrection. This is central to Kerygma, Christians central teaching, and if it did not happen then it could put the whole of the Christian faith in jeopardy. However, others see it as more of a spiritual resurrection, having a dualistic approach. This would mean that the body would stay on earth, but the soul, the essence of you, would transition into the beyond. This idea is supported by St Paul in 1 Corinthians 15, where he talks about the difference between ‘heavenly bodies’ and ‘earthly bodies.’ Some have suggested that this divergence in thought possibly comes from the difference between Hebrew traditions (monism) and Greek ones (dualism). For many, belief in some kind of afterlife and that death is not the end is central to the Christian faith. (Is this similar to how you structure yours? Also are you taking the Old Testament paper as well?)

Oh I see, no we weren't taught that. I'm doing RST3B aswell
Original post by arrow_h
Oh I see, no we weren't taught that. I'm doing RST3B aswell

I guess every centre teaches it differently.

What topic are you finding hardest?
Im struggling with A02 for apocalyptic and eschatological. Do you have any tips or essays you'd be willing to share?

Quick Reply