The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Guys i need help like ASAP otherwise im gonna fail psychology soooooo bad.

What do I need to write when the question asks me to describe my key issues? Mine are the eyewitness testimony and daycare. Do I describe what an eyewitness testimony is first and then talk about why it's reliable/unreliable or the latter is to be written for another question? Also wtf with the practical like what tf am I supposed to expect from that? Do i just summarise the articles or something? How do I mention the relevant theories?And I am super lost about the child one because we didn't do it so if someone could help me on that as well it'd be amazing i'd owe you so much guys like i really need to get an A from psych otherwise im dead
Original post by poorlittlesoul
Guys i need help like ASAP otherwise im gonna fail psychology soooooo bad.

What do I need to write when the question asks me to describe my key issues? Mine are the eyewitness testimony and daycare. Do I describe what an eyewitness testimony is first and then talk about why it's reliable/unreliable or the latter is to be written for another question? Also wtf with the practical like what tf am I supposed to expect from that? Do i just summarise the articles or something? How do I mention the relevant theories?And I am super lost about the child one because we didn't do it so if someone could help me on that as well it'd be amazing i'd owe you so much guys like i really need to get an A from psych otherwise im dead

Hey! here are my key issues for you - I did the same ones as you :smile: and I've put my practicals aims, procedures findings and conclusions and evaluation (I haven't yet evaluated my criminal one though) as well :smile:
Original post by rileystringer1
oh great.. I'll probably scrape 40 marks in unit 3 if we get these bad questions which means I'd have to get 70/90 in Unit 4 to get an A (which would be an A* anyway because of getting a C last year). I'm much more chill for Unit 4 though and I'm glad it's worth more marks bcos clinical is pretty simple, CBT won't come up which is the one treatment I'm not so confident with which is good and issues and debates is good (unpopular opinion lol) bcos you're just applying everything you already know, it's a shame that nature/nurture but I find the other essays alright, contributions can be winged

damn it, I liked CBT! Maybe that's just because I had it for 18 months so I understood it from a personal point of view :tongue: I'm kinda hoping biological treatments for schizophrenia/depression will come up though for unit 4, and maybe DSM? Issues and debates is alright - I agree about contributions, as long as you stick a sentence in there that says 'and it contributes to society because...' you're fine! I'm sure you'll do great though - I've uploaded my practicals for a basic structure if you want them :smile: just go through them like any other study, remembering you use research evidence in the findings!
Hope this helps even a tiny bit :smile:
Original post by 08graya
damn it, I liked CBT! Maybe that's just because I had it for 18 months so I understood it from a personal point of view :tongue: I'm kinda hoping biological treatments for schizophrenia/depression will come up though for unit 4, and maybe DSM? Issues and debates is alright - I agree about contributions, as long as you stick a sentence in there that says 'and it contributes to society because...' you're fine! I'm sure you'll do great though - I've uploaded my practicals for a basic structure if you want them :smile: just go through them like any other study, remembering you use research evidence in the findings!

what are your predictions for child?
Original post by 08graya

I like the bio side of sz but I dont really like the social side, I find it harder to expand the points.

It would be great if all the easy things came up like definitions of abnormality, issues in diagnosis, dopamine hypothesis + drugs, explanation of phobias & treatment (classical conditioning & systematic desensitisation)
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
what are your predictions for child?

According to the examiner's report from last year too many people gave generic responses (so their evaluation etc could be applied to ANY study not the specific named one) so probable a novel scenario where we have to apply the theories etc to the specific scenario given to make sure that we are not just being generic, practical/key issue (hopefully not key issue!), specifically evaluating a study in terms of reliability/validity, Bowlby's theory didn't come up last year as a named theory ummm and that's kind of what I'm hoping for! OOOOHHH and daycare!!!! Supporting/contradicting studies (EPPE, NICHD, Belsky and Rovine)
I like the bio side of sz but I dont really like the social side, I find it harder to expand the points.

It would be great if all the easy things came up like definitions of abnormality, issues in diagnosis, dopamine hypothesis + drugs, explanation of phobias & treatment (classical conditioning & systematic desensitisation)

The social explanation for scz I really didn't like so hopefully its the biological side! That would be a pretty nice clinical section! I'm hoping one of the 18markers will be contribtions (describe and evaluate would be nice) but I doubt they'll be that nice :frown: I really liked the question a few years ago where it was like 'describe contributions from cognitive and psychodynamics and evaluate in terms of scientific status of the applications'

But I doubt that will come up again :frown:
Original post by 08graya
According to the examiner's report from last year too many people gave generic responses (so their evaluation etc could be applied to ANY study not the specific named one) so probable a novel scenario where we have to apply the theories etc to the specific scenario given to make sure that we are not just being generic, practical/key issue (hopefully not key issue!), specifically evaluating a study in terms of reliability/validity, Bowlby's theory didn't come up last year as a named theory ummm and that's kind of what I'm hoping for! OOOOHHH and daycare!!!! Supporting/contradicting studies (EPPE, NICHD, Belsky and Rovine)

Bowlby would be good

I feel like there's gonna be a 2-in-1 somewhere.. look at the 12 marker on our unit 2 that was awful
Bowlby would be good

I feel like there's gonna be a 2-in-1 somewhere.. look at the 12 marker on our unit 2 that was awful

ooh like the stupid one last year on Freud's methods and the psychosexual stages? That was badddd :frown: hopefully not, I don't really know what they would do?
Original post by 08graya
The social explanation for scz I really didn't like so hopefully its the biological side! That would be a pretty nice clinical section! I'm hoping one of the 18markers will be contribtions (describe and evaluate would be nice) but I doubt they'll be that nice :frown: I really liked the question a few years ago where it was like 'describe contributions from cognitive and psychodynamics and evaluate in terms of scientific status of the applications'

But I doubt that will come up again :frown:

Contributions wasnt a 12 marker this yr so I'd say it'll be an option in some form
CHILD AND CRIMINAL PSYCHOLOGY ON 2 A3 PAGES!

Forgot that I had this - just a really brief A3 page of notes on each of child and criminal psych for last min revision :smile:
Original post by 08graya
ooh like the stupid one last year on Freud's methods and the psychosexual stages? That was badddd :frown: hopefully not, I don't really know what they would do?

Imagine something hard like desribe the work of Ainsworth, then evaluate research methods she used on terms of ethics and reliability.

It's not impossible but still quite tricky
For those doing health, do we need to know the synaptic action of drugs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know the last time Pickel's study of weapon focus came up in crim?:s-smilie:
Imagine something hard like desribe the work of Ainsworth, then evaluate research methods she used on terms of ethics and reliability.

It's not impossible but still quite tricky

ooh yeah, that wouldn't be great - but I suppose we could just think of it as 2 separate 6 mark questions :/
Idk if this is a stupid question but which approach does assertive community treatment come from? Is it social or learning or something else..?

EDIT: ignore me, I found out it's social
(edited 7 years ago)
For the practicals, will we need more than 4 marks for the results?

Because I've pretty much memorised 4 marks worth of findings but I'm not sure if it'll come up as a 6 marker or something?

(I hope that made sense)
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
For the practicals, will we need more than 4 marks for the results?

Because I've pretty much memorised 4 marks worth of findings but I'm not sure if it'll come up as a 6 marker or something?

(I hope that made sense)

I wouldn't have thought so - in all the studies I've done I only have 4 marks for findings so I can't see it being any different for practicals :smile:
Original post by 08graya
I wouldn't have thought so - in all the studies I've done I only have 4 marks for findings so I can't see it being any different for practicals :smile:

Thank you! I'm just going over practicals now and I hate it :frown::frown: :colondollar:
How do you evaluate your practical? Would you evaluate it like you would any study or do you evaluate the actual issue it's about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending