The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL Accommodation

I'm struggling to get my head around minimal rental periods in UAL accommodation. You pay for at least 42 weeks and sometimes 51 in good, modern housing but terms only last 31 weeks, or so. I'm in the early days of getting this sorted and understanding all the small print, but to me, the bottom line is you pay an extra grand for rental time that you simply aren't using; plus it's London so you're having to cough up even more.

On top of all that you have to rent your phone and internet connections at some places- and they don't exactly get you a good deal. Ooo the nerve.

Just wondering where you're going and if you're happy with the fees, relative to the general standard of your accommodation.

Cheers #zomg#

Scroll to see replies

Well, I can only tell you from the Shaftebury policy (coz I work for them), we run 3 halls for UAL; Don Gratton, Mahha Ash and Coppers Court (post grad only). You have to sign either a 42 or 52 weeks contract, and the price is exactly the same per a week, so you dont get any discount for signing the 52 weeks, and if you sign the 42 weeks contract, there is always a chanc you can extend your contract in April if you wish to stay in the summer for a silghtly higner price, a few pounds extra for a week or sth. For the phone, it's pay as you go, you get it connected for free, so people can call you, so you woudl only have to pay if you wish to make phone calls, I find mobile phone charge the same... so only good for people to call really. For the internet, you would pay between £12 - £20 /months, and if you pay a whole year up front, you get a big discount... I agree, the internet is sucks, but it has nothing to do with the halls, coz it's an outside company that call keycom deals with it, and I absolutely hate them...

it very common you have to pay for your holiday as well as term time. You pay your rent a term up front, and I have seem some people can pay monthly, but very rarely...

I think it's the sme for JMH and most of the halls within the UAL, and the cheapest one is in Camberwell I believe, it's like £70 / week or sth...

By the way only 4 halls with the UAL are en-suite, they are MAH, DGH, JMG and EHH, they are all £100 +, but it's worth... MAH is considered the best mainly coz of it's location, I have been here for 2 years, but will go to DGH next year for a personal reason. DGH is also in a good location... All MAH, DGH and JMH are in good condition and good size...
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to apply directly to halls since they're run by a third party? I've seen the new Nido building, went on their website and it looks like you pay a reduced rate if you go direct as opposed to through the 'proper' UAL housing scheme. Is that the same with all halls? And if so, what's the catch?... There's always a catch.

Many thanks.
No, you cannot apply to any halls directly, apart from Nido I believe, but as I said, Nido is open to all students, whereas any other halls are only for people who have offers from UAL, so you woudl have to go through the housing servicecs, those suckers... I absolutely hate them...
Reply 4
ha. I'd imagine it'd be so much hassle trying to put together a direct application to Nido, and also having to apply for other housing through UAL. I guess you'd have to do both otherwise you could end up with nothing. Nightmare sitch..
Hi!
Do you know anything about the housing process for those who've got unconditional offer so far?
Im just kind a worried cos ill move to London from abroad, and im afraid that i wont get a place where i'd like to.
thanks
Reply 6
I wouldn't worry too much. You should be hearing either the end of this month and into July according to the housing website.
UAL base it on how far away you live, so theoretically, you should get to one of your 3 choices. Where did you apply for?
I went for Manna Ash, Julien Markham and then Don Gratton
Good luck!
Reply 7
Everyone says those three without exception, it's mad! I can't decide whether it's because they're really good or the others are absolutely awful. I live near Liverpool, so if I was to get a place at UAL, I thought I would have been guaranteed one of my top three. But if there are internationals coming from all over Europe, I've got no chance...
Well, to be honest with you, MAH, DGH and JMH are the 3 decent ones, the others ones, yes, most of them are like hell, I mean more than awful... and these 3 with EHH are the only en-suite ones, so you dun hav to share your bathroom with people. And also, these are in much better location compare to the others. MAH is 2 mins walk to Southwark tube, 5 mins to Waterloo; DGH is 5 mins to Algate East or sth; JMH is 5 mins to Elephant tube or LCC... so what more do we want? and in term of the actual halls, yes, these are the best, and both MAH and DGH always hav endless waiting list each year, not sure abt JMH, coz froma differnet company...

About coming from Liverpoor, I think you have a fair chance as anyone else, I am not quite sure how the choose students, but in MAH for example, we have about 60% British and 40% others, and similar at DGH, so dun worry, as long as your hoem isnt london, you have a fair chance as anyone else...
Ohh quite good news thanks:smile:
Yeah I know i supposed to get in one of my choices but I ll only be able to send them my ielts results(which was the conditional) at the end of this month...and they already started to select applicants:-S
my choices are similar to you: don gr.,manna ash and julian markham.
i definitely like to have my own bathroom:P
Rebecca, which course did you apply for/ get in to?
Reply 10
ive got a place at Byam Shaw for the fine art foundation, and also my twin sister is going to csm for the foundation. We've both put down the same choices, so hopefully we'll be in the same hall, otherwise its going to be a nightmare going home in the holidays!
Yeh i agree about the bathroom too! i'd really hate to share with anyone lol!
How about you?
Wow thats great!It would be really good if you and your sister could live at the same place:smile:
Im going to the foundation studies in art and design course at lcf, huh im sooo excited about everything!
It might be worth of mentioning you have a twin sister applyin to halls as well, then it would be more likely they put you both in the same hall shall you both have a place. We had a twins in MAH last year living next door to each other. After a whole year, I still dont know who is who... sorry... keke...
Reply 13
hey I've just got a letter saying I've got into Ewen Henderson. Although i'm happy i've got in somewhere, slightly annoyed that it wasn't one of my choices considering i live 250+ away I thought I had more priority and people on facebook from London are saying they've got into Manna Ash which is annoying lol.
P for Photographer - i wish i'd done that, cos my parents said we should, but in the end we didn't bother in case the housing people put us in a worse hall for being fussy or sumthing lol. My sister still hasn't heard anything which is a bit strange because we sent off the applications in the same envelope, I just hope they didn't think it was a copy and throw it away hehe.
have you heard anything yet Miso?
hey!
im got a place at ewen henderson toooo,
im also doing foundation :smile: X
Guys, EHH is a good place too, I have never been there myself, but I heard it's good. If any of you are going to DHG next year, dont forget to com to me and say hello, you wil meet me on your move in day... for those of you moving to MAH, good on you, it's a good place, it's a shame I wont meet you guys, coz I am quiting the job there... but best of luck with the stupid management there...
Hmm nothing yet... by the way rebecca, did you get an unconditional offer from the uni? Cos i can imagine that they select students first whose hold a final offer from their uni...
I've heard really great things about Ewen Henderson so I think you should be glad cos there are worse acc also..like Furzedown:O
Reply 17
is anyone going to walden street?

i haven't seen anyone mention it so i'm now scared that its some kind of hell hole....
Reply 18
Miso, I have to get a C at A level in one subject which i'll definitely manage (not trying to sound pompous or anything..)
Having looked more at stuff about EH, i'm preety pleased i'm going to somewhere with an ensuite, and Iceland is just down the street, its right by the tube (if i can afford it!) and very close to sainsburies too.
im thinking of getting a job at home maybe to sainsburys or iceland, and then i might be allowed to transfer to the one in new cross when i get there which would be very convenient.
Hi apricotsalongthestreet :smile: where are you doing your foundation?
rhiWICKED, i thought from the photos that Walden street looked the nicest, and as there are only 9 houses, i'd imagine there is a great sense of community with everyone. plus its on a private road, so security wise its good, and also right by the hospital - althoguh you might be plagued with sirens, i don't know.
I've been on google earth for ages pinpointing where everything is, and i've found most of the accomodation places i think, which will help me to visualise where i'm going since i have a terrible sense of direction.
Anyway, i'm coming to London for a couple of days to see the Antony Gormley exhibition at the Hayward, and to look around ewen henderson and wherever my sis (hopefully!) gets accomodation so i can get my bearings!
P for photographer - what is your management like for moving dates etc? because i put on the application i wanted to move in on the 2nd Spetember, and it says on my letter the 17th, and i have to register a week before that. I know it says i can move in earlier if i want to, but is 2 weeks earlier too much or will i be allowed?
xxx
Okay, so you havent got your C grade yet, but you have been offered a place at EH? I mean, I know you will achieve this grade but the point is that they can offer accomodations ,,conditionally"...ohh thats would be really great. Sorry for the questions but there are no other place where i can get my answers from:smile:
thanks really!

Quick Reply