The Student Room Group

May 20th: Can a little pressure be good for us sometimes?

This week on The Surgery Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about pressure.Are you feeling the pressure at the moment? Struggling to find the balancebetween your exams and social life? Or have you found the pressure oflooming deadlines is making you focus?

Do you have any top tips for dealing with pressure?

Remember: you can post on this thread anonymously!

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely! I really do love pressure, because otherwise I just put stuff off... It also massively helps me to make decisions I would otherwise put off making... And it might sound strange, but I like the rush of having to do this and this and this, especially because it keeps me busy...!

I think the key is to not let the pressure come too late... If the pressure only really gets that bad with a few hours till you've got 3 pieces of work due, then that's bad... You just need to recognise at what point the pressure will help you do stuff, and at what point you've left it too late!
Reply 2
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about pressure.Are you feeling the pressure at the moment? Struggling to find the balancebetween your exams and social life? Or have you found the pressure oflooming deadlines is making you focus?

I think a bit of pressure is always good - it encourages you to stick to a path. Lots of people feel pressure with deadlines (work or essays); often it's best to write all the work you have to do out on a bit of paper, prioritise, organise and plan.

I only think that pressure from time to time is amazing - either way, as we grow up we're going to have to learn to cope with it with our jobs and unis. Starting now and figuring out what is best for you is the best thing to do - for example, I know that as i get tired and my brain switches off i will make more mistakes in my revision and that would make me panic more. As a result, i do all of my revision in the morning and then just chill towards the end of the day with a favourite netflix show or a book.

For girls - and for boys acc - having a little spa day or some other treat day when you are revision free would be nice, because the following day when you restart the revision you feel as fresh as a daisy and prepared to conquer any obstacles that revision may put before you :smile:
I feel extremely under pressure right now.

I've spent so much time on my AS retakes that I really don't have enough time for the rest of my A2 exams and i seriously don't know what to do. Like I'm only half way through my psya3 and his3n notes and my exams are in 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any tips?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

I've spent so much time on my AS retakes that I really don't have enough time for the rest of my A2 exams and i seriously don't know what to do. Like I'm only half way through my psya3 and his3n notes and my exams are in 2 weeks.

As long as there is time there is hope,
don't let the pressure bring you down I know that sometimes pressure causes fear and fear simply paralises us but you have to control your own emotions and fear, some people would simply give up because of all the pressure and the "lack of time" , I put that in quotes because I honestly don't believe there is such a thing as lack of time what there is is lack of organisation, you see I personally know someone who did 5 A-levels and it only took him about 2-3 weeks to learn the whole A-level and believe it or not the key is to be organised, know what you are going to revise and how, many people think that because they're busy they're being effective ..99% of the time this isn't the case, I guess that the point I'm trying to make is just organise yourself and you'll be fine also just so you know I'll link a video of a kid who did 23 A-levels and it only took him about a week to learn the material and he says that he isn't supper smart he's just very organised and studies effectively !
Original post by Anonymous

I'd definitely suggest going through a couple of past papers, and using them to identify the bits you're not so sure on. Then go over those notes, and get some practice in for those topics. Nearer the exam, do more past papers, and you'll find that you've definitely improved on that, and use the past papers to help understand what the exam is likely to ask. You can do it :yy:
The best way to deal with pressure is give work (and anything else) as much attention as it needs. If it's to do something small at work, don't bother perfecting it, it's not worth the effort. That way, when it comes to exams/important jobs, you can give them a better go without too much stress.

Stress builds with time, so reduce that time by understanding that perfectionism can be a bad thing.

One of the reasons that so many try to perfect everything is because they see it as necessary, it's not! Even if you fail your exams, it's not the end of the world, and it certainly isn't if you don't work really hard a small job.
For me, a lot of pressure is not good (especially it matters in examinations). The lesser, the better I am. My advice to deal with pressure: Don't expect a lot, better: don't expect anything, but to achieve your goal (no matter how).
Reply 9
reduce the force and area

Spoiler

Original post by balanced
(...).

Stress builds with time, so reduce that time by understanding that perfectionism can be a bad thing.

One of the reasons that so many try to perfect everything is because they see it as necessary, it's not! Even if you fail your exams, it's not the end of the world, and it certainly isn't if you don't work really hard a small job.

So true. I failed in my school days now and then, but always stood up when it matters. And now I am working. It is easier to achieve good results when it goes well, but it is more difficult by far when it doesn't. Having the persistance to bring it to an end when the results are worse than expected is just tougher. But the main point is still to come to an end. That should not be forgotten.
I work in a pressured environment and it's a bit of adrenaline. Unfortunately those that struggle during GCSEs and A Levels don't seem prepared for uni. It was a frustration throughout my degree (all coursework based) that people would say they're under pressure and stressed.

:rolleyes:
Original post by Roving Fish
I work in a pressured environment and it's a bit of adrenaline. Unfortunately those that struggle during GCSEs and A Levels don't seem prepared for uni. It was a frustration throughout my degree (all coursework based) that people would say they're under pressure and stressed.

It's quite reasonable to feel stressed or pressured by coursework, surely?

In terms of dealing with pressure, I didn't feel prepared for working when I left the school too. Schools are just teaching you the basics for different professions. Working and University are higher levels, both for learning and put the learning into practice. In combination with, those requirements are more spohisticated.
Original post by shadowdweller
It's quite reasonable to feel stressed or pressured by coursework, surely?

Reasonable to be stressed by coursework, however to be so overpowered by stress that it becomes ultimately a fall back excuse?... These people haven't been trained to cope with stress so fall flat on their arse during their degree.
Reasonable to be stressed by coursework, however to be so overpowered by stress that it becomes ultimately a fall back excuse?... These people haven't been trained to cope with stress so fall flat on their arse during their degree.

Realistically, it will be that level of stress for some people. And a work environment is a very different kind of stress to that anyway; so they could be fine after that, but not with coursework, and vice versa.

I love the pressure. It is only when my exams start that I focus on my revision properly. Yes, it is hard to balance social life during exams, but that is only because I choose to be consumed by them!! Is it weird to say I thrive off the pressure?
Original post by shadowdweller
Realistically, it will be that level of stress for some people. And a work environment is a very different kind of stress to that anyway; so they could be fine after that, but not with coursework, and vice versa.

This is an interesting topic in itself, in terms of whether graduates are prepared for the professional environment. During my thesis I researched social mobility and suchlike. It goes back to the first few years of the individual's life.

If toddlers aren't being prepared for school with basic skills, then the education system ends up playing catch up throughout primary, secondary, further and higher education - to the point where some people may miss out on key employability skills, such as stress management, by the end of the cycle. This can limit their employability tremendously.

Is that possible anyway? don't think so. There are just people who are not able to cope with stress, no matter how often it is trained by those people. I count myself to those ones. I am just good in doing my concerns in my own time.
This is an interesting topic in itself, in terms of whether graduates are prepared for the professional environment. During my thesis I researched social mobility and suchlike. It goes back to the first few years of the individual's life.

If toddlers aren't being prepared for school with basic skills, then the education system ends up playing catch up throughout primary, secondary, further and higher education - to the point where some people may miss out on key employability skills, such as stress management, by the end of the cycle. This can limit their employability tremendously.

Apologies for not making this clearer before - what I'm meaning to say is that as the stress types are different, not managing coursework doesn't mean you can't strive in an employment environment. It depends on what situation you excel in, and the management type is differenr for stress.

So at university, the stress doesn't stem so much from the work as it does the grading that comes after. People have the pressure of trying to get good enough marks to get employment after, and that can take it's toll. Once you're actually in a job, you can focus more on the work itself, which whilst it can still be stressful, can be more manageable in some ways. Especially depending on what course you did etc.

Quick Reply