The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Film
It is difficult to generalize. I have friends at Kings who love it, and a number at Bath whom are very disappointed, as Bath promotes the idea that they have "special " connections with companies for internships, when in fact they don't, and many are scrambling to find something, anything, before the deadline.

Case in point, any uni selling you things like 'employer links' without hard stats of where their grads end up are selling dreams of smoke and mirrors. Frankly, I feel universities are doing a grave disservice by not making clear documents showing name of employer and role upon graduation, or even postgrad degree attended (for the most recent year) in their prospectuses. I'd much rather see hard data than have someone tell me about 'links'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MintyMilk
The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?

LOOOOOL, yeah, guy's a clown.

And same here bro, Warwick ftw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MintyMilk
The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?

Let's just agree that UCL is equally as good as Warwick... Except for the sciences maybe.
why the hate on Warwick lol its a beautiful university
Original post by WCF
Just admit it, people will base prestige on how the university looks at the end of the day. If someone builds a new university that has old buildings like Oxbridge I can guarantee it will climb up those league tables fast because everyone will want to go there and it looks prestiguous. No matter how hard modern plateglasses like Warwick try, they will never really be good because of their crap architecture that makes it feel like a business rather than a place of knowledge and learning.

University of Greenwich for you then
Reply 145
Original post by nulli tertius
University of Greenwich for you then

Try again? It's in London which is quite crappy tbh with the 9000 deaths per year and all that...

As I said, all unis are either a (mostly) modern campus or in a polluted city. Only oxbridge, durham and st andrews are good
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by lolatmaths
why the hate on Warwick lol its a beautiful university

Highest number of suicide rates, that's a good reason IMO.
Reply 147
Original post by WCF
Try again? It's in London which is quite crappy tbh with the 9000 deaths per year and all that...

As I said, all unis are either a (mostly) modern campus or in a polluted city.

Try again, again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11697141/London-has-lowest-death-rate-in-England-as-coastal-regions-hold-older-population.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WCF

As I said, all unis are either a (mostly) modern campus or in a polluted city. Only oxbridge, durham and st andrews are good

Air pollution in Cambridge is higher right now than in Greenwich: http://aqicn.org/map/unitedkingdom/#@g/51.9523/-0.0654/8z

(and Oxford is only a single point better than Greenwich)
:flute:
Reply 149
Original post by PQ
Air pollution in Cambridge is higher right now than in Greenwich: http://aqicn.org/map/unitedkingdom/#@g/51.9523/-0.0654/8z

(and Oxford is only a single point better than Greenwich)
:flute:

That can't be right, it says that london has "low" pollution. This one looks much more accurate IMO judging by the google maps earth views of london and cambridge (cambridge is surrounded by greenery)

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/data/gis-mapping
Reply 150
Original post by WCF
That can't be right, it says that london has "low" pollution. This one looks much more accurate IMO judging by the google maps earth views of london and cambridge (cambridge is surrounded by greenery)

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/data/gis-mapping

That's historical not current.

And Cambridge town centre regularly has extremely high traffic congestion.
Reply 151
Original post by jneill
That's historical not current.

2014, not that long ago...

Edit: whatever pollution tiny cambridge can produce, london will produce much more I can assure you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WCF
2014, not that long ago...

Edit: whatever pollution tiny cambridge can produce, london will produce much more I can assure you

And if you sort the data diagonally you'll find it says whatever you wanted it to say.

Stop trying to pretend that you have a rational basis for disliking most universities and liking others - your tastes are as irrational as anyone else's.
Original post by Trapz99
Let's just agree that UCL is equally as good as Warwick... Except for the sciences maybe.

yeah, I should clarify, I chose Warwick over UCL solely because I didn't like the claustrophobia of London, being from Norfolk. I'd consider them pretty much equal for Physics.
Original post by KingYusHalo
Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job

This is THE WORST, most ridiculous comment I've ever read on this whole site. You're the epitome of snob.

Going to UCL is irrelevant if you have an attitude like yours.

If you seriously think an idiot like you is going to get a job over a top class Loughborough grad with the same degree as you simply because you went to a slightly higher ranked university, then you're an idiot.

It's people like you that epitomise the difference between being educated and being intelligent.

Also, the university you go to is largely irrelevant comparing to the course you do, a Loughborough graduate with a mathematics, economics or business degree will be much more competitive in the job market than a UCL graduate with History, English literature, or psychology.

TL;DR: You're an idiot. You haven't even started your university course yet and you're speaking like you're the CEO of Goldman Sachs kid. Good luck 'enjoying' the next three years of your life at a uni you chose because of an ambiguous measure 'prestige'.
Original post by lw8
This is THE WORST, most ridiculous comment I've ever read on this whole site. You're the epitome of snob.

Going to UCL is irrelevant if you have an attitude like yours.

If you seriously think an idiot like you is going to get a job over a top class Loughborough grad with the same degree as you simply because you went to a slightly higher ranked university, then you're an idiot.

It's people like you that epitomise the difference between being educated and being intelligent.

Also, the university you go to is largely irrelevant comparing to the course you do, a Loughborough graduate with a mathematics, economics or business degree will be much more competitive in the job market than a UCL graduate with History, English literature, or psychology.

TL;DR: You're an idiot. You haven't even started your university course yet and you're speaking like you're the CEO of Goldman Sachs kid. Good luck 'enjoying' the next three years of your life at a uni you chose because of an ambiguous measure 'prestige'.

lol

the butt hurt is sweet
Original post by JohnGreek
Aha, yet another Loughborough untermensch has been triggered. Maybe these crazy high expectations its students get as a result of being the 'Uni of the Year' is getting to their heads.

what is the point in fueling pointless beef?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha, yet another Loughborough untermensch has been triggered. Maybe these crazy high expectations its students get as a result of being the 'Uni of the Year' is getting to their heads.

Incredibly sad, probably got no friends considering you're resulting to pointless trolling on a student forum.
The maturity in this comment is above and beyond what I expected. I haven't heard the 'you don't have any friends' meme since... I was in Year 9? Wow.

(Btw I do genuinely believe what I said about L'boro, let's not start pretending it's somehow an academic powerhouse simply because it attracts the sort of students who feel more at home kicking balls around rather than studying.)

Never said it was an academic powerhouse. Does it have to be? It's still one of the best universities in the country. I don't personally care about how much research my university does, especially when the starting salary for graduate jobs on my course is likely higher than 95% of courses in more 'research heavy' unis. The course you take matters 10 times more than the university you attend. The job I derive at the end of the course is also 10 times more important than the university you attend. The professors at Loughborough care more about YOU than research, unlike a lot of unis. It attracts some of the best students, being an elite sport university only brings even more highly motivated individuals. That's my view on Loughborough.
Your fickle and snobby view in life won't get you anywhere pal.
Unless you're trolling me completely, in which case, you win, you got me triggered, well done!

P.S. yes, I said you likely have no friends, because either you're completely uneducated on the subject, or a troll. I'm presuming you're the latter, in which case, you should stop trolling on an Internet forum and get some friends. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lw8
Never said it was an academic powerhouse. Does it have to be? It's still one of the best universities in the country.

what are you measuring universities by if not academic standards? :confused:

Original post by lw8
especially when the starting salary for graduate jobs on my course is likely higher than 95% of courses in more 'research heavy' unis.

lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending