Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Will it be a problem if I have poor IGCSEs? Even if I have good high school grades?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I actually graduated from high school in the year 2014 but I didn't want to go to a university in my country so I've been basically doing things I haven't tried before for nearly 2 years. I went to a language institution, attended a programming bootcamp, and I also did some volunteering.

Anyhow, I recently got accepted to a sixth form college in the South West of England and while I was talking to the school administrator, I realised that a lot of successful Cambridge applicants have GCSE/IGCSE qualifications... From 8+ subjects with at least 4 ~ 5 A*. Well I don't have the GCSE/IGCSE so I got scared that I won't be able to get into Cambridge without those qualifications so I booked for the exams 3 months before the test date. English as a Second Language, Mathematics A, Further Pure Mathematics, and three science subjects. 6 doesn't seem enough you know.. And I definitely feel that I didn't have enough time to study for those subjects, plus I had to study on my own just with the book.. I mean even though I'm a high school graduate, it's been 2 years! Ah... I don't think I'll be able to get an A* in those science subjects... The maximum score I can get would be an A... But I'm sure I can get A*s in the other three... Still that would make 3 A*s and 3 As or 3 Bs and that seems like an awful score.

So.. I was wondering if I would still have a chance getting into Cambridge with a bad IGCSE grade.. But with a good highschool grade...

My highschool grades are

Korean 88/100
    Social Studies 92/100
    History 96/100
    Mathematics 100/100
    Science 84/100
    English 96/100
    Moral Studies 96/100
    Household Science 92/100

So.. they are pretty decent scores..

Maybe I shouldn't declare my IGCSE grades in UCAS??

By the way, I'm hoping to study pure mathematics.. haha..
    Sorry my post isn't well organised.. It's 2 am here so hope you understand..

(Original post by KR_Lucas)
    Maybe I shouldn't declare my IGCSE grades in UCAS??

By the way, I'm hoping to study pure mathematics.. haha..
    Sorry my post isn't well organised.. It's 2 am here so hope you understand..
    I'm not quite clear on your details but you need to declare ALL qualifications on UCAS, including iGCSEs.

But iGCSEs themselves aren't as important as A-levels or your country's equivalent anyway.

For Maths, the only thing that's important is maths...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.