The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA A Geography 1 - 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TelAviv
Call it an 'oversimplification' to definitively say one is better than the other.

Hard engineering projects are generally better at actually preventing coastal erosion, but are often very expensive, aesthetically unpleasing and can harm to environment. Some hard engineering projects also exacerbate problems in other areas

Soft engineering projects on the other hand, are significantly cheaper as they are more based on planning and making strategic decisions to save as much as possible without the massive costs. You should mention, however, that in the short-term this can be more expensive than hard engineering projects such as land use management forcing property developers to use more expensive land away from the coast, thus raising the prices for consumers.

Spoiler

thank you to you sir you may have saved my geography career!!
Fold mountains - Alps , the Rockies , Himalayas ,

Volcanoes - St helens , yellowstone , Montserrat

EarthQuakes - Kobe , kashmire

Tsunamis - boxing day 2004
No the water on the land question last year was the obscure one about erosion and deposition
Original post by IGCSETANK
Kielder water definitely came up - explain disadvantages / advantages of a reservoir scheme you have studied ( Q4d - around that number any way)

Capture.PNG
Original post by Adzkii786
How are Shield volcanoes formed?

Use this link to help you , http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/natural_hazards/volcanoes_rev3.shtml
Reply 105
Original post by willsp8
Montserrat - Eruption of Volcano LEDC
Yellowstone - Supervolcano (potential impacts)
L'Aquila, Italy - Earthquake MEDC
Kashmir, Pakistan - Earthquake LEDC
Asian Boxing Day 2004 - Tsunami
The Alps - Adaptations and Uses in Fold Mountains

do we need to know a eruption of a volcano for a MEDC or just a LEDC
Shield volcanoes are formed along constructive plate boundaries where the tectonic plates are moving away from each other. This creates a gap allowing rising magma to erupt st the surface and then solidify to create a shield volcano

types-of-volcanoes-5-728.jpg
Reply 108
What topics are most likely to come up??
Original post by EJReyno
Shield volcanoes are formed along constructive plate boundaries where the tectonic plates are moving away from each other. This creates a gap allowing rising magma to erupt st the surface and then solidify to create a shield volcano

dont forget hotspots!!!
Original post by Devvvv
What topics are most likely to come up??

cannot predict revise everything for your lifeeeeeeeeee!!! + I think LEDC earthquake is sending me vibezzzzz
Anyone done the rutland case study for water ol? Cause I can't find much information
Original post by willsp8
Yes there is always an 8 marker which usually means describing a process or a case study question.

A possible of up to 16 case studies could come up so its best to prep for all of them with some 8 markers :smile:

I think that the coastal zone 8 marker may be hard and soft engineering
Original post by SK_317
Does anyone have any idea for: restless earth, ice on land and coastal zone? much appreciated

Little bits for Restless earth and things to revise, hope this helps :smile:

The structure of the earth; Inner core, Outer core, Mantle and the crust. The two different types. Oceanic and Continental.

Plate boundaries- Destructive; Where two plates collide and one plate flows beneath the other- subduction, examples- Nazca plate and South American Plate.
Constructive; Rising convection current pulls crust apart forming volcanic ridges- Mid Atlantic Ridge, E.G Eurasian and North American Plate.
Conservative- Two plates slide past each other, earthquakes occur here, e.g San Andreas Fault, California.
Collision- Two continental plates collide and the two plates buckle- earthquakes. E.g Indo-Australian and Eurasian Plates.

Volcanic Hazards from Shield Volcanoes to Composite Volcanoes

Earthquake hazard, examples- Kashmir 2005 and California in 1999 (CASESTUDIES)

Hati- 7.0 on the Richter scale (CASE STUDY)
Primary Impacts and Secondary Impacts

Managing Earthquakes and Volcanic hazards.

Signs of Volcano nearing eruption, increase gas emissions and soil temperature.

Earthquake preparation.

What is needed after a natural disaster- CASESTUDY.
Izmit Earthquake 1999
Immediate response and relief efforts.
Original post by EJReyno
Anyone done the rutland case study for water ol? Cause I can't find much information

For water world I would use case studies such as:
The Colorado River,USA
The Three Gorges Dam,China.
For large scales.

Small Scale Water Management
Wells
Hand pumps
Rain barrel
Yeah that's what i have but i find its really general and not specfic
Reply 116
Original post by IGCSETANK
Wouldn't revise Kielder water - came up last year.
Wouldn't revise tsunami - came up 2 years ago
Wouldn't revise management strategies ( coastal zone ) - came up last year
That's 3 less :smile:

Don't take this completely on board though coz AQA love to throw us in at the deep end hahah
Has anyone else done rocks? Any predictions?
Reply 118

At constructive plate margins where two plates move apart from each other and magma rises to fill the gap
Reply 119
Original post by gdg123
do we need to know a eruption of a volcano for a MEDC or just a LEDC

On my checklist you only need one example (the LEDC and MEDC bit isnt really significant, just thought I'd put it in there) but the earthquake needs both as a compare question could come up

Quick Reply

Latest