The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE English Literature

Apparently the first poem (about the fish) was about prostitution, but I didn't write that. Did anyone put that, and would I lose marks for not saying that? (I said what I thought it meant but it wasn't that)
My sister did it and was moaning about it and she showed me the poem and I thought it was about a boat lol but what a hard poem
Reply 2
I bet it is VERY controversial and you probably could put lots of things as people interpret it differently.
Reply 3
My friends said this too!? I have no idea where that came from though..
I think it was to do with the variation of fish available and how fish can be associated with the smell of sex
Reply 5
Anyone did TKAM or ? I think i did decent on the extract and the question( basically all Section A). The poem sunk me i think i must've got like 9/20. Hopefully, in August i'll get some at decent
Original post by ZS1
Anyone did TKAM or ? I think i did decent on the extract and the question( basically all Section A). The poem sunk me i think i must've got like 9/20. Hopefully, in August i'll get some at decent

What did you write about for the TKAM extract? Wasn't sure about the layout as we've done very little practice for these in class and didn't do a mock for literature a few months ago...
It's all about being able to justify your points with quotations! It doesn't matter if you didn't talk about prostitution or homosexuality- you will not get marked down! In fact if you have different interpretations to this you're more likely to gain marks - as this is what is needed to get the A* grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by CharlWills
What did you write about for the TKAM extract? Wasn't sure about the layout as we've done very little practice for these in class and didn't do a mock for literature a few months ago...

I wrote for the extract:
-it shows that Attitus loves Jem dearly and vice versa
-Atticus used Mrs Dubose's illness and bitternes to show Jem that Courage appears in different ways and, how to apply this lesson on Jem's future life.
-An alternative impression: Atticus manipualted Mrs Dubose's situation for revenge for her insults against him
-Oh, and the candy box that Jem threw in the fire may refer to Mrs Dubose's exterior and the pure,white flower represents her inner purity and well-meaning towards Jem and Atticus
-and some other stuff which isn't coming to my head rn

I got tired of PEE, so i started using PETAL(point,evidence,technique,analyis and alternative impression and LINK) which helped me get a solid B in the mocks
(edited 7 years ago)
i wrote that Aunty Jane fish was actually a fish then i started laughing cause it seemed dumb but i went with it then i wrote that similarly in the car showdown the car was the one talking A*s all round for me D:
Original post by ZS1
I wrote for the extract:
-it shows that Attitus loves Jem dearly and vice versa
-Atticus used Mrs Dubose's illness and bitternes to show Jem that Courage appears in different ways and, how to apply this lesson on Jem's future life.
-An alternative impression: Atticus manipualted Mrs Dubose's situation for revenge for her insults against him
-Oh, and the candy box that Jem threw in the fire may refer to Mrs Dubose's exterior and the pure,white flower represents her inner purity and well-meaning towards Jem and Atticus
-and some other stuff which isn't coming to my head rn

I got tired of PEE, so i started using PETAL(point,evidence,technique,analyis and alternative impression and LINK) which helped me get a solid B in the mocks

Sounds like you smashed it, really well done. Your essay puts mine to shame haha
Original post by LN1234
Apparently the first poem (about the fish) was about prostitution, but I didn't write that. Did anyone put that, and would I lose marks for not saying that? (I said what I thought it meant but it wasn't that)

Lol my friend thought the car showroom one was about the guy being gay😂
Original post by CharlWills
Sounds like you smashed it, really well done. Your essay puts mine to shame haha

Sounds like you wrote about the same as me! Which question did you choose? I chose the one about the mockingbird motif
Original post by ellieffion
Sounds like you wrote about the same as me! Which question did you choose? I chose the one about the mockingbird motif

I chose that one too; I just wrote about how Dill, Boo, Tom and Walter are all figurative mockingbirds in the novel. What about you?
Reply 14
Original post by adamodactil
Lol my friend thought the car showroom one was about the guy being gay😂

Apparently it was...
Reply 15
I wrote about several different interpretations and did write about prostitutes etc, but I'm sure if you backed up what you wrote it will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest