The Student Room Group

What shall i do?

Ok this is going to be a long but quite entertaining forum? I hope.

So what's up? Well, I have no idea what I want to become...at all. Ok that's not totally a lie but it is pretty confusing because my dad has given me by July to choose a profession I want to do. Some of you are probably thinking "she's unlucky" but I don't blame him. I'm a 15 yr old girl who is going to do her yr 10 mocks starting from this week and there isn't much time left until sixth form. My dad doesn't really have a professional job at all tbh, he's that guy who works in the council answering calls from various different people everyday and he doesn't want me to end up like him...earning about £25k every year and taking care of 3 kids, a wife who doesn't work and a elderly parent enjoying his pension although he's pretty active, he's only about 60 but anywho.

I wanted to become a dermatologist because I found it so fascinating I mean looking at people different scabs, pimples and blackheads all the time, amazing BUT I then researched the time it took to become one and I was like hell no. I mean I don't want to become something in my 30's and 40's because what about marriage and kids, ya know. I then thought about psychiatry, I've been really into psychology all my life I mean I have a psychology board on Pinterest lmao (Pinterest: @dailykai shameless self-promo). I've been helping all my life and people usually come to me for advice because I'm blunt and real which is a quality any standard needs, ya know. HOWEVER it had around about the same time to get into the profession as dermatology. I know a bummer.

Ok spreading out this paragraph now, I then thought about dentistry because I love teeth and it's fascinating and it has a short time to get into the profession (I could get into the profession by the age of 26) but I'm kind of meh as you need Biology and Chemistry as required subject (based off from King's College course) but I'm predicted B for science, I know right Science out of all subjects I would've been ok with Maths but bloody Science.

My GCSE Predictions:

English 7
Maths 7
Science B
History A
Geography A
ICT A
French A A* (this is what I'm getting right now)
RE A A* (this is what I'm getting right now)

I had another talk with my dad about dentistry and he was like cool but then started talking about Law might also be a good profession (but kind of worrying as I am a hijabi and it can therefore come detrimental to my career as most clients may be wary of my religion, completely stupid but understandable) because I was good at ********ting (HIS EXACT WORDS, we get into arguments a lot which usually end with us shouting [he's Pakistani, I know what am I thinking lmao] and I'm usually right because I stand my ground, as a typical Taurus and he's a Scorpio LMAO AND MY MUM'S A VIRGO. Toxic combo bc they're seen as the most hated signs) OK WAY SIDE TRACKED, I talked to my friend and I was talking to her about animal cruelty and what happens in the meat and dairy industry and she was like you should do philosophy and she thinks I'd be a good lawyer. I MEAN I CONVERTED A FRIEND TO VEGANISM OK I AM VERY PERSUASIVE. Over the years, I've been called "Bossy Boots", Rude, Opinionated, Intimidating, Sassy and basically every quality of Bad Bitch and a Strong Woman.

The A levels, I'm thinking about are Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit but I really want to know what your thoughts are. What do you think? Do you have any questions? I'm a pretty open person, ask away.

IF YOU HAVE REACHED TILL THE END, YOU ARE A TRUE TROOPER! Ok I just scrolled till the top and it isn't that much BUT STILL.

PS. Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this and acknowledge the fact I exist hopefully I haven't bored you. I'd really appreciate your input so do not hesitate to comment. AND IF YOU LOVE ASTROLOGY, HELLO THERE.
honestly i think you should be a dentist. You have got the results (or predictions) and will go far.
Hey, firstly, good for you for trying to get your **** together this early on, definitely helps if you're wanting to go into something like dentistry.

I'm currently studying dentistry so I'm a bit biased. Your GCSE's don't matter too much, universities are more interested in your A-levels so you'd have a couple of years to pull your science grades up; you're not too far off anyway!

I personally messed up my A-levels and ended up with BBC so even though I had an offer I couldn't attend. My back up choice was biomedical sciences which I completed with a first class degree allowing me to reapply to dentistry and get in. Set me back a bit time wise so now I'll be 26 when I graduated rather than 23 had I got in first time round...... ANYWAY....

Psychology is definitely cool but I think it's quite difficult to get a highly paid job if that's what you're after. Dentistry is 5 years (I think that's a long time though!) but it gives you a Monday-Friday 9-5 job (mostly) with a starting salary in your first year around £30,000 which jumps up to an average of £60,000-£80,000 ... and that's on the NHS, private would be more, possibilities of £100,000+.

For me it's a perfect profession to juggle a decent wage, family life and it's not tooooooo boring. You spend your days chatting to new people (and doing a bit of work) but it's quite a sociable environment. I'd highly recommend. Just make sure you're happy with science because that takes up the majority of the degree.

Hope this helps a bit!
Reply 3
Original post by Dentistry2012
Hey, firstly, good for you for trying to get your **** together this early on, definitely helps if you're wanting to go into something like dentistry.

I'm currently studying dentistry so I'm a bit biased. Your GCSE's don't matter too much, universities are more interested in your A-levels so you'd have a couple of years to pull your science grades up; you're not too far off anyway!

I personally messed up my A-levels and ended up with BBC so even though I had an offer I couldn't attend. My back up choice was biomedical sciences which I completed with a first class degree allowing me to reapply to dentistry and get in. Set me back a bit time wise so now I'll be 26 when I graduated rather than 23 had I got in first time round...... ANYWAY....

Psychology is definitely cool but I think it's quite difficult to get a highly paid job if that's what you're after. Dentistry is 5 years (I think that's a long time though!) but it gives you a Monday-Friday 9-5 job (mostly) with a starting salary in your first year around £30,000 which jumps up to an average of £60,000-£80,000 ... and that's on the NHS, private would be more, possibilities of £100,000+.

For me it's a perfect profession to juggle a decent wage, family life and it's not tooooooo boring. You spend your days chatting to new people (and doing a bit of work) but it's quite a sociable environment. I'd highly recommend. Just make sure you're happy with science because that takes up the majority of the degree.

Hope this helps a bit!
Thank you, what A-Levels did you study and what university?

Quick Reply

Latest