Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

I cant find an effective way to revise for my GCSE history exams !!!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Im in year 10 and taking all my exams next year. Even for the little mini tests of like 1 or 2, 8 markers in class I can never remember anything !!!

Any revision tips for history where you have to write essays and include lots of facts in them???

This may sound weird, but I learn it as a story. Each section of history could be seen as a beginning, middle, and end, with a few cliffhangers etc. Famous people are characters, and it helps to do the voices as well. Then you pick up the facts pretty easily. Or watch documentaries, that helps set some context. Memorising the textbook is all well and good, but if you make it come alive, it's much easier to remember things!

when it comes to remembering the facts perhaps you could look around youtube for some funny educational videos? good luck

Making mind maps, plans or revision flashcards on History topics with key points are useful. Personally, I find reading History textbooks casually like a book is the most helpful as it's actually quite interesting and I find that I remember more that way.

Best way it to actually do a past paper and give it to your teacher to mark. Then at some point go through it with them. Other than that, just have to revise the facts that you need to remember.

Past papers are a good way to revise but if it's the content you have to learn try reading a section or topic in your work then covering it up so you can't see it and writing down what you remember. Repetition is an effective way to remember things and it's worked for me so far
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.