The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is a Law offers discussion thread in the Law forum and the LSE applicants were discussing how many A*s they had, and whether they got an offer, it was around 6/7/8 A*s minimum I think
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I don't think there is a set number of As/A*s needed, it depends on how strong the rest of your application is really. Obviously, the stronger the grades are, the better the chances of an offer are - but I certainly don't think they have a set number they go looking for. I got an offer this year and I have 8A* and 2A.
Reply 3
That said, I only got something like 3 A*, but got the offer for Law...so I agree with what Mypaperheart said, there probably is no set criteria.
Reply 4
I got 5A*s, 3As, 3Bs and got an offer.
Reply 5
I know someone who's doing law with a set of 5A's and 5B's attained at iGCSE.

Then again, igcse>gcse.
Reply 6
I applied to read Law at LSE, and got an offer. My IGCSE's were: A*AAABBC.
Reply 7
I got an offer with only 3 A*s.
Reply 8
J-Curve
I applied to read Law at LSE, and got an offer. My IGCSE's were: A*AAABBC.

i took IGCSE and got 3A*5A. when you applied did you have any work experience/anything thats particularly significant to help you gain an offer for the LLB degree?
Reply 9
According to an e-mail sent to my friend from the admissions office (she was rejected), if you attend a high-performing selective school you needed to have 7A*-plus last year.
Reply 10
strange_man
That said, I only got something like 3 A*, but got the offer for Law...so I agree with what Mypaperheart said, there probably is no set criteria.

Whoa dude I lost out to you by one grade! Check out my signature... I scored 3A*, 5A, 1B 1C!

However I did go to a very average school (well: slightly above average) with 180 in my year and i'm around in the top 20)

Anyway, will my chances be hindered if I scored A for english language, but C for literature???
Reply 11
Whoa... with my results can I get into law at cambridge or oxford?????

3A*, 5A, 1B and 1C

With A*A*AAC for IGCSE subjects (which I spent 70% of the time revising for) and A*AAAB for GCSEs.

Everyone on this thread says "IGCSE > GCSE"
Reply 12
v11
According to an e-mail sent to my friend from the admissions office (she was rejected), if you attend a high-performing selective school you needed to have 7A*-plus last year.

seriously?:mad:

There goes my chances. I got 2A* 9As and 1B

For my ASs I got 4As and 1B
Reply 13
Yes, they do take into consideration the overall/average performance of your high school when assessing your application. . .
Reply 14
LSE take into consideration all aspects of ones application, so one shouldn't put so much focus on GCSE results.

I began LSE last year and I don't have a single A/A* GCSE. I did have my personal extenuating reasons of course, but it stil goes to show that they are not as rigid on the subject of GCSE grades as some suggest.
Reply 15
LSE take into consideration all aspects of ones application, so one shouldn't put so much focus on GCSE results.

I began LSE last year and I don't have a single A/A* GCSE. I did have my personal extenuating reasons of course, but it stil goes to show that they are not as rigid on the subject of GCSE grades as some suggest.

If you don't mind can I ask you what kind of personal reasons? and did you tell LSE by putting it in your personal statement or was it in your reference?
Reply 16
shaf90
If you don't mind can I ask you what kind of personal reasons? and did you tell LSE by putting it in your personal statement or was it in your reference?

I briefly mentioned it in my personal statement, but it was mainly dealt with in the reference. I think they take it more seriously that way.

I'd rather not go too deep into the reasons, but it was a combination of issues at school and at home.

I suggest that if you have any extenuating reasons, however strong it may be, you should stress it in your application.
Reply 17
I began LSE last year and I don't have a single A/A* GCSE.

I think that is deeply unfair on the applicants who had 5/6/7/8/9/10+ A* grades, AAAA at a-level and who still got rejected.
Reply 18
mercexe
I think that is deeply unfair on the applicants who had 5/6/7/8/9/10+ A* grades, AAAA at a-level and who still got rejected.

Lol. Deal with it.
Reply 19
mercexe

These grades just show how intelligent a person is. It doesn't show their enthusiasm for the subject, how hard they are willing to work etc. This is usually seen in the PS and reference.

There is no point in someone with several A* grades doing a degree in Medicine for example, if he/she has no desire to become a doctor.

Latest

Trending

Trending