Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I know the title may seem like it's the reason behind my bad mental state at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. I just to want to clarify I'm in no way trying to excuse my poor academic achievement, I'm just trying to identify what went wrong.

Long story short, I haven't been diagnosed with either but I'm pretty certain I have both depression and anxiety (maybe even social anxiety). I'm sure a lot who have been at this point have done those online tests, including the NHS one. I've done several before and the results usually showed moderate depression + anxiety but today both have been on the severe side.
    I know the obvious thing to do is get help, I'm planning on calling my GP tomorrow but knowing myself I'll choke up and not say a word about it or I'll bawl my eyes out.

Any tips on what to do and how to say "Hola doc, I think I feel depressed, lost and don't know what to do?"
    That was a bad joke. Seriously though, any help will be appreciated greatly.

Spoilers contain long rambling story if anyone's interested. I'm just typing it out to feel better because right now I just want to crawl up in a ball, cry and forget about the world for a while.

warning: it's much longer than I intended. Sorry about that
    I know this crap has been piling up for a while but it wasn't until last week I feel like I literally broke and can't hold myself together any more. I've grown up in a family where mental health problems are either seen as some kind of spiritual/religious related issue or just "being sad for no reason". I'm not sure if this adds any weight but I lost my faith completely just over a year ago, but I can't really mention it to anyone, definitely not my parents.

Being a tough shell and carrying on with life has always been the way. I still remember in both school and college the only real "negative" feedback I'd get was that I didn't ask for help when I needed it. If I can't even ask my family, it never occurred to me that speaking to someone else was an option at all.
    My parents have seen war, death and left with nothing when they came to Europe. Knowing the hardship they went through it's not easy to talk to them about this. It doesn't help that when I do bring these issues up my siblings completely downplay it. I should add I haven't opened up completely to them either but when they laugh and joke about depression and suicidal thoughts I really don't want the joke to be turned on me.

I know I've been struggling ever since I moved to UK (10+ years ago), it wasn't until 2 years ago I noticed it and this past winter I accepted it. My bad grade is just the trigger that made me want to do something about this but it was bound to happen at some point. I know it's not the end of the world and despite what the people on this forum like to say, I really don't mind if it takes 5, 10, 15 years to get anywhere in life. I don't want to die but I'd be lying if I said I haven't had dark thoughts lately. I'm not sure if I'm still in denial or if these thoughts can pile up too and turn into something worse, I hope not.

I should add despite being a horrible optimist, I lack motivation to do anything. I can barely concentrate on anything, just staying alert takes up enough energy as it is. I'm dreamer but I never picture myself in those dreams. It's hard to explain but imagine having goals and aspirations; they're in your head but it's like a different you who's living that life. It's really odd, I know.

Combine all this **** with seeing the deteriorating health of a close family member, constant pressure to do well, being compared to others, feeling like I have no one I can trust fully and not relating to those closest to me... I can only describe it as a load of weight that has been piling on until just getting up in the morning becomes a chore. I've been dragging myself out of the house almost everyday and although that might seem like a positive thing, it's just to avoid conversations at home. I haven't met up with friends for a while. I've always been the one to cheer them up when they're down and drowning them with my "optimism" but they have no idea I'm just an empty shell and the smiles mean nothing. I'm beating around the bush here but I know I'm avoiding them because I can't keep up the crap image I've made for myself.

Speaking of not fully trusting anyone, I know I have people to talk to. I'm sure almost everyone does to some degree but what about having just one person you can tell everything? I literally have none. It like compartmentalising how and who to speak to regarding different things.

I'll shut up now. If anyone read all of this, thank you. If anyone else is going through anything remotely similar, I feel your pain but don't forget the world hasn't ended yet, don't forget that.

You need to see your GP. Why not just write a note and hand it them to read? If you are really pushed, then oprint of your post and hand them that. You need a diagnosis and help. there is no way you are going to do this on your own.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.