The Student Room Group

Is this allowed?

Scroll to see replies

That's like saying I'm allowed to write cheat notes on my hands since it's the invigilator's job to check/ make sure I haven't cheated.
Reply 21
Original post by Naruke
@Rimi28
@Tootles
@NickLCFC

CouId you aII read this throughIy and stop spouting nonsense. It's the invigiIators job to make sure I have wiped my caIc before the exam, if they don't know the ruIes, I don't see how I'm obliged to know the ruIes

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/subjects/mathematics.updates.html?article=/content/demo/en/news-policy/subject-updates/mathematics/use-of-calculators-in-the-summer-2016-exam-series&pageTypes=

I'm not spouting rubbish. I said it isn't allowed in my college and I'm completely right, they check everybody's calculator before the exam.
Original post by Naruke
@Rimi28
@Tootles
@NickLCFC

CouId you aII read this throughIy and stop spouting nonsense. It's the invigiIators job to make sure I have wiped my caIc before the exam, if they don't know the ruIes, I don't see how I'm obliged to know the ruIes

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/subjects/mathematics.updates.html?article=/content/demo/en/news-policy/subject-updates/mathematics/use-of-calculators-in-the-summer-2016-exam-series&pageTypes=

By the way, you need to read through the text in the link more clearly. It clearly states:
Calculators must not:

have retrievable information stored in them - this includes:

databanks

dictionaries

mathematical formulas

text.

The candidate is responsible for the following:

the calculator’s power supply

the calculator’s working condition

clearing anything stored in the calculator.

Reply 23
Original post by Rimi28
I'm not spouting rubbish. I said it isn't allowed in my college and I'm completely right, they check everybody's calculator before the exam.

WeII you need to taIk to your head of maths or something because you're onIy putting yourseIf at a disadvantage

Your coIIege don't know the ruIes properIy
Reply 24
Not getting caught doesn't mean it's allowed. Why in the world do you think that having a "mini textbook full of definitions you may forget" would be allowed? The whole point is that you're meant to be tested on the knowledge of these definitions. It makes no difference if you write them in your calculator or on your hand, it's still cheating.
Reply 25
Original post by Namita Gurung
By the way, you need to read through the text in the link more clearly. It clearly states:
Calculators must not:
The candidate is responsible for the following:

the calculator’s power supply

the calculator’s working condition

clearing anything stored in the calculator.

opps,

WeII, I'm stiII going to use it, I'm stiII going to store notes in my programs foIder and I'm stiII going to get an A

I wish you the best of Iuck tho :tongue:
Original post by Naruke
@Rimi28
@Tootles
@NickLCFC

It's the invigilator or exams officer job to check your calculator does not contain any notes, however it is your responsibility to comply with the rules and if notes are discovered on your calculator and that is reported you will be disqualified from that exam and potentially every exam by that examiner. Your excuse that the invigilators never told me will not fly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naruke
AIready have severaI times...

Then keep very quiet about it!
Reply 28
If everyone else sitting the exam can learn the definitions then so can you.
You made a thread asking if cheating is allowed, yet when others have said you shouldn't have notes stored in your calculator you try and justify it.
I'm sorry but you don't deserve the grade you get at the end of the exam.
Reply 29
Original post by HAnwar
If everyone else sitting the exam can learn the definitions then so can you.
You made a thread asking if cheating is allowed, yet when others have said you shouldn't have notes stored in your calculator you try and justify it.
I'm sorry but you don't deserve the grade you get at the end of the exam.

That's very true but uno yoIo
Original post by Naruke
You guys are aII incorrect and it's annoying because people Iike you who are not even 100% certain about the ruIes say it's not aIIowed then people assume it's not then are put at a disadvantage because they are afraid of buying one

I wiII tag an exams officer who has aIso said before these caIcs are fine

@tiny hobbit

The Casio fx 9860GII is allowed, but it must be cleared of retrievable data before you go into an exam.
You are allowed the calculator it acts as a graphical one, all the invigilators these days dont even know what they're doing, so even if they snatch it off you do a quick memory wipe haha
>Asks if it is allowed
>Denies that it's cheating
>When proved wrong,Still insists on using it
Sorry but is your brain so tiny that you cannot comprehend a few formulas? And you would still risk being disqualified? If the invigilator doesn't do his job then he should be fired,Doesn't mean that you can bend the rules.
Reply 33
i hope you fail :h:
You are honestly so ridiculous. What is the point of even learning anything if you're going to bring notes and equations into an exam?And if you're 'allowed' to bring in notes, I'm sure everyone would just bring on notebooks with all their notes and equations written on it. Why would teachers tell us to memorise equations? They could have just told us all to bring in calculators and store equations and notes on it.

I hope you get caught and get disqualified for being so effing stupid.
So you were claiming people didnt know the rules, when in fact you have veen breaking them all along.
After having it pointed out, then you decide to carry on.
Really hope you get caught and poor show by your invigilators for not recognising your calculator should not have been allowed.
"Queries about the use of calculators tend to increase exponentially at this time of year - and although I haven't checked that for sure, it certainly feels like it. I thought I'd send an email to try to answer the queries we see often (just in time for GCE, GCSE and IGCSE examinations this week, I hope).The Joint Council for Qualifications advice on the use of calculators in examinations can be found on page 13 of the Instructions for conducting examinations booklet here. However, it makes no mention of particular models - and it would be an impossible job trying to keep up with them, particularly once international varieties had to be considered. So being impossible, I will have a try.Some calculators I know about which I believe cannot be used in GCE, GCSE and IGCSE examinations are these:Casio: Algebra FX2.0, Algebra FX2.0 PLUS, ClassPad 300 (all models)
Hewlett Packard: HP 40G, HP 40GS, HP 48G, HP 48G II, HP 49G, HP 49G PLUS, HP 50G, HP Prime
Texas Instruments: TI-89, TI-89 (Titanium), TI-92, TI-92 PLUS, Voyage 200, TI-nspire CAS
They all have either a capacity for symbolic differentiation and integration, or else they can communicate with other calculators. There may well be other calculators in this category that I haven't come across; they would be likely to cost upwards of £100, though.Models we are asked about often, and which can be used in examinations, are mainly from Casio - they include the fx-50, fx-50F, fx-50 PLUS, fx-50FH, fx-82, fx-82SX, fx-82MS, fx-82ES, fx-83GT PLUS, fx-85ES, fx-991ES, fx-991 ES PLUS, fx-7400, fx-7700, fx-9750, fx-9860, fx-9860GII. Also permitted are the Sharp EL-531, EL-520, EL-506 and EL-9900 models and the Texas TI-30, TI-34, TI-83 PLUS, TI-84 PLUS, TI-nspire and TI-nspire CX.Any others I have missed (and there will be many) does not mean they necessarily can or can't be used. However, if they cost less than £40, they're likely to be permissible. If I've got anything dramatically wrong here, I'm sure the calculator companies will let me know.

The other query we are often asked is about clearing the memory on the calculator. Students should be reminded that "calculators must not: have retrievable information stored in them (this includes databanks, dictionaries, mathematical formulas and text) and that the candidate is responsible for clearing anything stored in the calculator." Students risk being disqualified if they ignore this regulation.I hope this is helpful and that your students have all have the right sort of calculator (and some spare batteries) ready for the exams on Wednesday and Thursday and beyond.GrahamEdexcel Maths"
(edited 7 years ago)
Chill out guys, im sure if you all could do it you'd do it too
Original post by metrize
Chill out guys, im sure if you all could do it you'd do it too

Not really,There IS no need to do it.There are only a couple of formulas.If you can't even memorise them then what're you even doing at the advanced level.
Reply 39
Original post by OnTheHorizon
Not really,There IS no need to do it.There are only a couple of formulas.If you can't even memorise them then what're you even doing at the advanced level.

Are you mad bro?

Quick Reply

Latest