The Student Room Group

Irlen's syndrome?

So my mum thinks I might have this??? What are the symptoms of it and have any of you got it? I can't see how I might have it...
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So my mum thinks I might have this??? What are the symptoms of it and have any of you got it? I can't see how I might have it...

http://irlen.com/get-tested/

There are some tests, get back to me after you have done one of them :smile:
I have it. But there was never nothing overly obvious about it. My handwriting was messy; but I always assumed it was one of those things. But my handwriting is so much better on coloured paper and there's nowhere near as much glare. It also makes reading so much easier.
Reply 3
Original post by IAmNero
http://irlen.com/get-tested/

There are some tests, get back to me after you have done one of them :smile:

i've taken the short one and it's pretty much yes to every question!
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
I have it. But there was never nothing overly obvious about it. My handwriting was messy; but I always assumed it was one of those things. But my handwriting is so much better on coloured paper and there's nowhere near as much glare. It also makes reading so much easier.

my handwriting was always messy until I spent one summer holiday teaching myself to write legibly... would you say it's worth having coloured paper if I do have it?
my handwriting was always messy until I spent one summer holiday teaching myself to write legibly... would you say it's worth having coloured paper if I do have it?

Different colours work for different people. So there's really no point until you've been tested.

Idk if you were still wondering because you posted a while ago, but I have irlens. I find that when I read black text on white paper the words blur and move about and the White often looks brighter that the black which like forms downwards rivers in between the words and it gets difficult to concentrate and read. I have green lenses in my glasses and also get my exams on green paper and 25% extra time in exams so if you think you may have it is really worth getting it looked into more. I also find it difficult to read in bright lights and it gives me headaches sometimes. Good luck with everything ☺️
Hi,

I have Irlen's syndrome, I have to be fair most education settings I have ever been in have been very supportive.

I have just started at university this week, having spent years worrying about whether I would have the ability to finish a university course.

I am a Welsh Student in a Welsh University in North Wales, I have been offered already to see the student support team and leaning support team. In fact I was offered this at interview.

The symptoms I found have been getting frequent headaches when trying to read of a white screen. Finding it near impossible to read from projectors. Finding things move around and become somewhat blurry when trying to read from computers and even from printed documents.

When I finally got my diagnosis it as such a relief and I found I received a hell of a lot of support straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest