The Student Room Group

plagiarism

I submitted the wrong piece of work as a coursework apparently it comes up plagiarism. I have tomorrow meeting with them. So what is the best way to go about this? Appreciate your help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kevin_2016

Tell the truth about the circumstances and apologise.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Tell the truth about the circumstances and apologise.

do you think they might cap my marks?
do you think they might cap my marks?

I've absolutely no idea, you haven't given any real details about the situation. Consider the degree of responsibility you have for submitting the piece of work in the format you did. Read your University guidelines and see what the actions are.
Reply 4
I've absolutely no idea, you haven't given any real details about the situation. Consider the degree of responsibility you have for submitting the piece of work in the format you did. Read your University guidelines and see what the actions are.

Before I submit the work I uploaded to Turnitin comes up clean only 6% which I believe for references. Then they come up with the figure 30% similarity with another university. Turnitin did not prompt.
Before I submit the work I uploaded to Turnitin comes up clean only 6% which I believe for references. Then they come up with the figure 30% similarity with another university. Turnitin did not prompt.

Well the basic question is 'did you knowingly plagiarise'. If so, you need to explain why.

If you didn't knowingly plagiarise, then have a think how this could have happened. Re-read the paper and be aware of what you quoted and how. Think of any reasons as to why it might have jumped from 6% to 30%.

Take evidence of your check and the 6% result to show you have a genuine belief that all was OK.

Have you had any previous incidences similar to this before, because if so, then they are much less likely to be lenient.
Reply 6
Well the basic question is 'did you knowingly plagiarise'. If so, you need to explain why.

If you didn't knowingly plagiarise, then have a think how this could have happened. Re-read the paper and be aware of what you quoted and how. Think of any reasons as to why it might have jumped from 6% to 30%.

Take evidence of your check and the 6% result to show you have a genuine belief that all was OK.

Have you had any previous incidences similar to this before, because if so, then they are much less likely to be lenient.

I don't know cos I have the updated version but I accidentally upload the wrong version. Nevertheless, I go through Turnitin that did not indicate nothing. So I am confused.
I don't know cos I have the updated version but I accidentally upload the wrong version. Nevertheless, I go through Turnitin that did not indicate nothing. So I am confused.

So the earlier version (which you submitted by accident) was 30% similar to another essay at another university, but the later version (which you meant to submit but didn't) was only 6%?
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
So the earlier version (which you submitted by accident) was 30% similar to another essay at another university, but the later version (which you meant to submit but didn't) was only 6%?

yes

yes

Did you use another essay as material for your own, perhaps copying and pasting some of it into your earlier version, then editing it into your own words? But then mistakenly submitting the earlier version?
Reply 10
Did you use another essay as material for your own, perhaps copying and pasting some of it into your earlier version, then editing it into your own words? But then mistakenly submitting the earlier version?

yes

yes

Then I have no sympathy whatsoever. Not even 6%. You basically took someone else's work and thought you could get away with a quick edit rather than putting in the effort yourself and coming up with something of your own. And you couldn't even do that right.
As far as I am aware the turnitin software percentages only offers them a reasonable suspicion at which point they will take the paper and look at it individually. If you made the 'mistake' of submitting the wrong paper then I can't see how turnitin is relevant at all. The problem start when and or if they suspect you might have tried passing some work off as your own and are then suspected of attempting to cover this up by fabricating a mistake defence. It really depends on what, if anything, they suspect.

As the above posters, if your mistake is genuine then you have nothing to fear. Tell the truth in the meeting and they will probably come up with an agreeable solution.
Reply 13
Original post by nathan2k1
As far as I am aware the turnitin software percentages only offers them a reasonable suspicion at which point they will take the paper and look at it individually. If you made the 'mistake' of submitting the wrong paper then I can't see how turnitin is relevant at all. The problem start when and or if they suspect you might have tried passing some work off as your own and are then suspected of attempting to cover this up by fabricating a mistake defence. It really depends on what, if anything, they suspect.

As the above posters, if your mistake is genuine then you have nothing to fear. Tell the truth in the meeting and they will probably come up with an agreeable solution.

ok thanks, I will
Original post by nathan2k1

ok thanks, I will

You plan to admit that essentially you took someone else's essay and tried to turn it into your own words?
Reply 15
You plan to admit that essentially you took someone else's essay and tried to turn it into your own words?

no I did not do like that. red the article and get the idea for my work and rewrite in my own words, that is what I done
no I did not do like that. red the article and get the idea for my work and rewrite in my own words, that is what I done

In post 11 you admitted copying & pasting material from the other essay into yours before editing it into your own words. If you had merely read the other material and put it into your own words immediately, then you wouldn't have such a high turnitin percentage in your earlier version and a lower one in the later version.
In post 11 you admitted copying & pasting material from the other essay into yours before editing it into your own words. If you had merely read the other material and put it into your own words immediately, then you wouldn't have such a high turnitin percentage in your earlier version and a lower one in the later version.

Do exam boards check coursework for plagiarism?
Original post by lordoftheties
Do exam boards check coursework for plagiarism?

No idea, but I certainly hope so.
Reply 19
No idea, but I certainly hope so.

I imagine a World without plagiarism. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply