The Student Room Group

What diet is best in your opinion? (POLL)

Poll

Which Diet is Best?

Discuss, debate and vote!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I forgot to mention, please don't be too mean guys, these threads tend to get very heated
Reply 2
Bump
They all are in exam hall making themselves depress :ensure:
But there is no option of "my own diet" :colonhash:
Reply 4
Original post by fatima1998
They all are in exam hall making themselves depress :ensure:
But there is no option of "my own diet" :colonhash:

Oops, I completely forgot about that :colondollar:

I suppose 'Other' is the only choice for you *Sorry*
Reply 5
I'm going to get crucified for this, but in my opinion, I'd say people should follow a vegan diet, or the least a vegetarian one.
The one you find best supports the life you want to lead. No diet is objectively "best" but we can make reasonable statements about the general implications of different choices.

I personally eat whatever I like, but I don't think the amount of animal protein we consume is going to be a sustainable option in the future at all. There is an obvious and real moral case for not wanting support an industry which routinely - and often horrifically - mistreats animals, and which necessitates environmental destruction, but in the context of our electronics and clothing being supported by conditions tantamount to slavery, poverty and disease killing children by the thousands and the huge instances of homelessness, even in more economically developed countries, it does not rank enormously highly on the list of things I would expend emotional energy trying to address.

Plus steak is delicious.
I'd say the best one is something ecologically sustainable, which doesn't necessarily entail vegetarianism or veganism if one was to do it right. Basically the system in the last section of this article, but you'll have to ignore the nonsense in the other paragraphs:

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/why-it-s-impossible-actually-be-vegetarian
Humans were designed, and function best, whilst on a vegan diet. Having said that, I'm not vegan, but hopefully one day.

Spoiler

Original post by ByronicHero

Plus steak is delicious.

the reason why i could never be a vegetarian, i also like my sunday roasts too much:awesome:
Original post by claireestelle
the reason why i could never be a vegetarian, i also like my sunday roasts too much:awesome:

I could be, or at lease pescetarian, but I am very likely to continue choosing not to be. Ribs :sogood:
Original post by ByronicHero
I could be, or at lease pescetarian, but I am very likely to continue choosing not to be. Ribs :sogood:

I think even a pescetarian would be a step too far for me, i eat meat 5/6 days a week. I've actually never liked ribs, i m quite the fussy eater:P
The seafood diet.
I see food and eat it.
Reply 13
Original post by thunder_chunky
The seafood diet.
I see food and eat it.

That's a dad joke I ever heard one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any diet which is well balanced is going to be good for you, it doesn't matter if you're a vegetarian/vegan or not.

That said, practically I think a vegetarian diet would be better for people. I wouldn't say that meat is bad for you, rather the meat products that most would buy are bad for you. Stuff like processed meats, etc.
I'm on the gluten/dairy limited dietary plan although it's been a trial and error on low fibre diet as I've just been diagnosed with digestive complications following surgery to remove my gallbladder out back in 2011 and corrective surgery in 2012 and the late chronic illness I've got to manage by what I choose to eat as it can worsen symptoms. I was told I was presented with a sensitivity to beef, egg whites and almonds too..and anything that could make my body work too hard to digest as my digestive tract doesn't work too well, and it's possible more surgery or intervention will or might have to take place down the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any diet with that has one item each from the 5 food groups (fruits, diary, protein, veggies, and grains).
Reply 17
Original post by Yayvillee
Humans were designed, and function best, whilst on a vegan diet. Having said that, I'm not vegan, but hopefully one day.

Spoiler

I am sorry what? Who said humans were designed for a vegan diet?
Reply 18
I eat a lot of dairy and fruit and veggie during the day, along with a limited amount of bread, not white, unless I eat it just before cycling home so I can use the glycogen spike. Of course working means it's hard to always have the time and motivation to stick to that diet, but it's what I try to follow.

In the evenings I have recently started eating more vegan, with things like cusco, quinoa, kidney beans (have this amazing recipe for burgers using kidney beans) lentils. But then there are days where I eat meat.

I just think you need to find a mix that suits you and gives you enough variety. Personally I think only eating meat, or rather saying every dinner I want some form of meat would be boring after a while, but likewise cutting it out completely, would be too.

In terms of sustainability, sure meat has a bigger impact. And in the long run, humans definitely need to limit the amount of meat being eaten. But I do not think it is necessary to do so completely.
Original post by inhuman
I am sorry what? Who said humans were designed for a vegan diet?

Our anatomy, our physiology.

When was the last time you, as an 'omnivore', ate raw chicken without being ill? Every other carnivorous animal doesn't cook it's meat.

Believe me, I used to agree with you, but look into it and be vegan for your body and mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest