The Student Room Group

"Feminism is useless in the first world"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
So you are intolerant

Like you say it helps some people but not all for some that isn't enough and sometimes this is bad enough to make people commit suicide but you know ignore that claim it is all transphobia.

Those reasons don't matter because missandry.

intolerant of homophobes, absolutely!

for some, hormones aren't enough, sure, and that might lead to them doing other things so that they feel more comfortable in their bodies. one example is voice training, which some trans women do in order to make their voices sound more "feminine". there's been exactly zero evidence of hormones killing trans people, though, so you're definitely wrong about that. it's mostly transphobia - irrational fear of trans people, yes. that's what it mainly is. i'm not saying that all trans people's problems are caused by transphobia, but this is a major issue for them: transphobia is the main reason why trans people suffer discrimination. transphobia is the main reason why some trans people are driven to suicide, have a higher chance of being mentally ill, etc.

uh, no. i doubt any man has actually killed himself because of misandry. unless you can find me a real, honest to god case of a man committing suicide because of misandry, i'm going to have to assume you're wrong, unfortunately.
Original post by TrueDetective01
Hahahahaha yeah, keep thinking that :smile:.

ok! i will :h: you can hold on to your weird belief that all feminists are this mass hive mind, and we'll go our merry ways!
Original post by nomnomnomm
ok! i will :h: you can hold on to your weird belief that all feminists are this mass hive mind, and we'll go our merry ways!

Marxists, statists, etc are pure cancer to human nature. If you had free will, you wouldn't cower behind the state :smile:
Original post by nomnomnomm
intolerant of homophobes, absolutely!

for some, hormones aren't enough, sure, and that might lead to them doing other things so that they feel more comfortable in their bodies. one example is voice training, which some trans women do in order to make their voices sound more "feminine". there's been exactly zero evidence of hormones killing trans people, though, so you're definitely wrong about that. it's mostly transphobia - irrational fear of trans people, yes. that's what it mainly is. i'm not saying that all trans people's problems are caused by transphobia, but this is a major issue for them: transphobia is the main reason why trans people suffer discrimination. transphobia is the main reason why some trans people are driven to suicide, have a higher chance of being mentally ill, etc.

uh, no. i doubt any man has actually killed himself because of misandry. unless you can find me a real, honest to god case of a man committing suicide because of misandry, i'm going to have to assume you're wrong, unfortunately.

Cool so you are intolerant but you complain of others being intolerant a bit hypocritical.

There is a lot more than transphobia your argument is so simplified it won't solve most the problems. There is strong evidence that hrt can increase the risk of cancer (I didn't say that hrt kills people anyway) I don't know anyone who has an irrational fear of trans people I think you are confusing that definition with the more common times when people are accused of transphobia, islamophobia and many other 'phobia's' disagreeing or speaking your opinion.

There is the man called Earl Silverman who was driven into financial problems after feminists stopped him getting funding for his shelter for male victims of dv. Look at the reaction into his death by feminists saying. He was a man who had no support and despite being portrayed as someone who is abusive (a man) despite being a victim this lead him to kill himself.

'I feel his pain. My shelter for the Victims of Feline Abuse in Domestic Environments also failed. Across North America, dozens of dogs will be unable to overcome the stigma of their horrific trauma.'

'The hard fact, based on crime statistics and shelter admissions, is women are abused in 85% of all DV cases' there was 1 shelter for men in this time and that is what had been shut down.
http://www.salon.com/2013/04/29/feminism_didnt_kill_mens_rights_advocate_earl_silverman/

This article was the first I found those are some of the comments and it plays down the role that it wasn't the attack on men and his character that killed him but it is his own fault. You either agree with the article and it shows that it isn't transphobia what causes suicides or you don't and you agree missandry has killed.
Reply 204
Again, the responses here only go to show how much feminism glosses over any male issues. It's why I say feminism being about equality is BS. Here are stats posted by someone in the other thread. Can any female here HONESTLY tell me that we hear anywhere near as much about these issues as we do about 'the gender pay gap'?

*note - from my own reading these last few days, and my own work experience, I do think the 'gender pay gap' is massively blown out of proportion and I think there are genuine reasons for it (women taking time out of work, often being less ambitious in the workplace on average etc). I personally have never seen women held back in the workplace and know many female senior managers, parnters, directors etc. I've even seen preference for women in the workplace and recently I've read that women up to a certain age (around about the average time of motherhood) actually earn more than men. So if this is the best that feminists have then I really do wonder. Anyway....the stats:

Unsheltered Homeless (2009)
Women 12,000 4%
Men 240,000 96%

Life Expectancy (2006)
Women 80.8 Years
Men 75.7 Years

Suicides (2008)
Women 7,585 - 19%
Men 28,450 - 81%

Deaths by Homicide (2004)
Women 3,856 20%
Men 14,717 80%

Deaths from Cancer (2004)
Women 269,819
Men 290,069

Deaths from HIV/AIDS (2004)
Women 3,357
Men 8,756

Federal Funds for Sex Specific Cancer Research
Women Breast Cancer $631,000,000 - 40,000 Deaths
Men Prostate Cancer $300,000,000 - 33,000 Deaths

Deaths on the Job (2010)
Women 355 - 7%
Men 4,192 - 93%

Injuries on the Job (2007)
Women 36%
Men 64%

College Enrolment (2009)
Women 58% - 11,658,000
Men 42% - 8,770,000

Affirmative Action Education Programs (Gender Specific)
Women Yes
Men No

Unemployment Rates (2010)
Women 8.6% 6,199,000
Men 10.5% - 8,626,000

Average Hours Worked Per Week (2010)
Women 36.1
Men 40.2

High School Graduation Rates (2005)
Women 72%
Men 65%

Incarceration Rates (2009)
Women 114,979 - 7%
Men 1,502,490 - 93%

Child Custody Rates
Women 11,268,000 custodial mothers
Men 2,907,000 custodial fathers

US Military Deaths From 1950 2010
Women 139 - 0.001%
Men 100,063 - 99.99%

Federally Funded Battered Shelters
Women 2,000+ $300,000,000 per year
Men None $0

Federally Funded Health Offices and Research 1970 Present (not including cancer research)
Women Only Office, Projects and Programs 70+ Funds $100,000,000,000
Men Only None $0

Forced Selective Service
Women No
Men Yes

Drug and Alcohol Addiction and Abuse Rates (2010)
Women 5.8%
Men 12.2%

Divorce filings
Women - 85%
Men - 15%

Doctor Degrees(2010)
Women - 51.6%
Men - 48.4%

Master’s Degrees(2010)
Women - 60.3%
Men - 39.7%

Receive Alimony
Women: 97%
Men: 3%?

Edit - I think it is fair to say that if even a few of these stats favoured men over women, we would never hear the end of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by julydays
hey babe wanna know what else is illegalmurderwanna know what still happensmurderalso like??? you do understand that the studies on pay gaps adjust for that kind of thing, right? like if you actually look it up you'll see things like "adjusted for experience, education etc.etc." this is basic stuff, my dude, basic stuff that anyone conducting a study is capable of. and guess what? the pay gap is /still there/WHATASHOCKthe thing about rape is that false rape accussations don't happen more often than most other crimes, but we don't harrass and abuse ever goddamn person who claims their bike got stolen.but what really worries me here is you seeming to think there is NO POSSIBLE MIDDLEGROUND between "harrassing and yelling LYING HARLOT" and "immediately believing no questions asked THROW HIM TO THE SHARKS", how about we treat rape victims the way we treat other victims??? that is, with compassion and support????anyway, i get that you don't actually care about any of this, but this is a really good piece on false rape accussations."please grow a brain"
For a start i never said there wasnt a middleground between harassing victims and instantly believing them, that seems to be more your belief.I used a direct quote from you which suggests that rape victims should always be believed:"pretty much every rape victim that comes forward is shamed, humiliated or just plain not believed" More directly "just plain not believed"What you're saying with this quote is that rape victims should instantly be believed. I do believe there is a middleground between harrassing rape victims and just plain believing them, its the justice system. What do you think happens when a person walks into a police station and says they've been raped?Do you think that the police officer will instantly harrass them and say "maybe you were asking for it" or do you think they say "okay we'll get an officer to take down your statement and counselling is available at your request"Maybe you think questioning a story to try and get details and find out the truth is harassment? I presume you do. If you think scenario 1 or that questioning a story is harassment then you should probably re-evaluate your life.

Also thank you for educating me on the fact that murder is illegal but the mere fact that someone like you hasnt been killed yet for your stupid yet zealous views allowed me to conclude that murder is illegal on my own. As for the point you were trying to make, yes murder is illegal and so is paying someone less for the same work. If someone is proved guilty of murder they are prosecuted; if someone is proved guilty of discrimination when paying workers they are also prosecuted. Most people do not commit murder as they will be prosecuted, most people do not discriminate payment as they will be prosecuted. As a result of this i do not fear that i will be murdered when i go to school nor do i fear my girlfriend will be payed less than a man for doing the same work. It is incredibly easy to prove that someone is not being payed fairly as there are numerous records to prove it and as a result it rarely occurs.

Thats not to say that women may not be payed the same as a manfor working in the same sector, it is just a response to your comparison to laws on sexual discrimination in wages to murder.

Please read and digest my reply properly this time as it is clear you did not with my previous comment or you would not have replied so moronically.

I am going to leave you with a quote which i hope sticks with you

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.— Abraham Lincoln
Original post by julydays
yeah totes

problem is the pay gap isn't

Well maybe women should stop being teachers and start becoming chemical engineers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think equality is established now in UK, by law if not necessarily completely socially. it's a matter of educating the future and letting the bigots die out, no point harassing today's youth as it just creates more polarisation. Focus on education in the third world now.
Original post by k0chia
There are also other issues that are more well known but disregarded.
The gender pay gap - this affects WoC in MEDC's more than white women so applying intersectional theory, the gender pay gap issue becomes a detailed discussion.

The gender pay gap is taken from the difference in the mean wage of men and women. However, it does not control for things such as chosen profession, hours worked, overtime done, choices of insurance and other work benefits and many more factors, where men and women often differ greatly. The conclusion is that there is little to no evidence that men are paid more for the same work, they just do different work for longer hours and are thus paid more, on average. Equality of outcome does not have to result from equality of opportunity - which is what we already have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jd_uk

Women 12,000 4%
Men 240,000 96%

Life Expectancy (2006)
Women 80.8 Years
Men 75.7 Years

Suicides (2008)
Women 7,585 - 19%
Men 28,450 - 81%

Women 3,856 20%
Men 14,717 80%

Women 269,819
Men 290,069

Women 3,357
Men 8,756

Deaths on the Job (2010)
Women 355 - 7%
Men 4,192 - 93%

Women 36%
Men 64%

College Enrolment (2009)
Women 58% - 11,658,000
Men 42% - 8,770,000

Women Yes
Men No

Women 8.6% 6,199,000
Men 10.5% - 8,626,000

Women 36.1
Men 40.2

Women 72%
Men 65%

Women 114,979 - 7%
Men 1,502,490 - 93%

Child Custody Rates

Women 139 - 0.001%
Men 100,063 - 99.99%

Men None $0

Federally Funded Health Offices and Research 1970 Present (not including cancer research)
Men Only None $0

Forced Selective Service
Women No
Men Yes

Women 5.8%
Men 12.2%

Divorce filings
Women - 85%
Men - 15%

Doctor Degrees(2010)
Women - 51.6%
Men - 48.4%

Master’s Degrees(2010)
Women - 60.3%
Men - 39.7%

Receive Alimony

Edit - I think it is fair to say that if even a few of these stats favoured men over women, we would never head the end of it.

And apparently men aren't disadvantaged in any area...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jd_uk
Again, the responses here only go to show how much feminism glosses over any male issues. It's why I say feminism being about equality is BS. Here are stats posted by someone in the other thread. Can any female here HONESTLY tell me that we hear anywhere near as much about these issues as we do about 'the gender pay gap'?

*note - from my own reading these last few days, and my own work experience, I do think the 'gender pay gap' is massively blown out of proportion and I think there are genuine reasons for it (women taking time out of work, often being less ambitious in the workplace on average etc). I personally have never seen women held back in the workplace and know many female senior managers, parnters, directors etc. I've even seen preference for women in the workplace and recently I've read that women up to a certain age (around about the average time of motherhood) actually earn more than men. So if this is the best that feminists have then I really do wonder. Anyway....the stats:

Women 12,000 4%
Men 240,000 96%

Life Expectancy (2006)
Women 80.8 Years
Men 75.7 Years

Suicides (2008)
Women 7,585 - 19%
Men 28,450 - 81%

Women 3,856 20%
Men 14,717 80%

Women 269,819
Men 290,069

Women 3,357
Men 8,756

Deaths on the Job (2010)
Women 355 - 7%
Men 4,192 - 93%

Women 36%
Men 64%

College Enrolment (2009)
Women 58% - 11,658,000
Men 42% - 8,770,000

Women Yes
Men No

Women 8.6% 6,199,000
Men 10.5% - 8,626,000

Women 36.1
Men 40.2

Women 72%
Men 65%

Women 114,979 - 7%
Men 1,502,490 - 93%

Child Custody Rates

Women 139 - 0.001%
Men 100,063 - 99.99%

Men None $0

Men Only None $0

Forced Selective Service
Women No
Men Yes

Women 5.8%
Men 12.2%

Divorce filings
Women - 85%
Men - 15%

Doctor Degrees(2010)
Women - 51.6%
Men - 48.4%

Master’s Degrees(2010)
Women - 60.3%
Men - 39.7%

Receive Alimony

Edit - I think it is fair to say that if even a few of these stats favoured men over women, we would never head the end of it.

But patriarchy
Reply 211
But patriarchy

All BS. Notice how quiet the debate goes when the facts are laid out? Honestly, I think more men have a duty to speak out about the myths spouted by feminists in the media and in society in general because a huge amount of men out there suffer without any voice at all. Not only do they not have a voice but they have to listen to how they are lucky to be a man on a regular basis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jd_uk
All BS. Notice how quiet the debate goes when the facts are laid out? Honestly, I think more men have a duty to speak out about the myths spouted by feminists in the media and in society in general because a huge amount of men out there suffer without any voice at all. Not only do they have a voice but they have to listen to how they are lucky to be a man on a regular basis.

I completely agree, the problem is that people who do speak out can get labelled as misogynist even when they have all the evidence to back it up and that can scare people from talking about.

I'm normally serious when I talk about it but sometimes mocking the other side is an acceptable way to go.
Reply 213
I completely agree, the problem is that people who do speak out can get labelled as misogynist even when they have all the evidence to back it up and that can scare people from talking about.

I'm normally serious when I talk about it but sometimes mocking the other side is an acceptable way to go.

Yep. You will get laughed at by feminists, the average woman and also the 'white knight' type men who think they should protect women above all else. The trouble is that everybody is brainwashed. If all you hear in the media is how tough women have it then you're going to believe that women are opressed. When you talk about how it's a myth you will probably be mocked and get told to 'man up'. You just have to drill home the point about what the reaction would be if you told someone to 'woman up'. It's all BS...women acts as they want and say what they like because they know they can get away with it but that's something that has to change.
Original post by Jd_uk

Women 12,000 4%
Men 240,000 96%

Life Expectancy (2006)
Women 80.8 Years
Men 75.7 Years

Suicides (2008)
Women 7,585 - 19%
Men 28,450 - 81%

Women 3,856 20%
Men 14,717 80%

Women 269,819
Men 290,069

Women 3,357
Men 8,756

Deaths on the Job (2010)
Women 355 - 7%
Men 4,192 - 93%

Women 36%
Men 64%

College Enrolment (2009)
Women 58% - 11,658,000
Men 42% - 8,770,000

Women Yes
Men No

Women 8.6% 6,199,000
Men 10.5% - 8,626,000

Women 36.1
Men 40.2

Women 72%
Men 65%

Women 114,979 - 7%
Men 1,502,490 - 93%

Child Custody Rates

Women 139 - 0.001%
Men 100,063 - 99.99%

Men None $0

Men Only None $0

Forced Selective Service
Women No
Men Yes

Women 5.8%
Men 12.2%

Divorce filings
Women - 85%
Men - 15%

Doctor Degrees(2010)
Women - 51.6%
Men - 48.4%

Master’s Degrees(2010)
Women - 60.3%
Men - 39.7%

Receive Alimony

Edit - I think it is fair to say that if even a few of these stats favoured men over women, we would never hear the end of it.

PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have always thought of feminism as a movement that advocated on behalf of women.. Given the social climate from which "women's suffrage" arose, it was most likely that no else would fight for women's rights so the women decided to represent themselves. I mean, who else was going to make political and social propositions with the best interests of women in mind?
Men will never ever experience what it is like to be a woman in this society, and vice versa.

However, I do believe that our current society has to acknowledge that both genders are impacted by prevailing social and cultural constructs in different or similar ways:

- For instance, men are socially conditioned to internalise emotions as any form of expression is deemed effeminate. This social and cultural demand for men to be strong, emotionless rocks subsequently leads to the trivialization of sexual assault and domestic violence against men, as it is seen as a weakness for a man to be a victim. Furthermore, there is currently a suicide problem amongst men due to emotions being seen as a weakness.

- Female sexuality is still stigmatised in this day and age. There is a presence of moral paradoxes from which men are often exempt, this often results in hypocritical standards that women are expected to fulfil.

- Both men and women are deemed failures if they do not fulfil certain roles within society.

- We still have a long way to go when it comes to attitudes towards sexual assault and harassment.

There are many more problems but I cannot be arsed to sit here and type it all out, I am sure people get the gist of what I am trying to say.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by d-_-b
Everyone should have equal rights, but that does not mean everyone are equal. I still open doors for women so they may walk first, but I have the right to decline such etiquette.

Similarly, as a man I would help a woman with a flat tyre, but it could be argued since it's equal rights it's equal problems too. That's where the difference comes in where I think aggressive feminist movements can get under a guy's skin.

For me, I was brought up in the sense that everyone has equal opportunity, but not everyone is equal. Men and women are inherently different and we should complement each other in society by harnessing our stronger genetic traits. I can change the tyre (any woman can too) but it's likely she will be better at consoling a young child or infant (that doesn't mean I can't do it either).

If any of that made sense anyway.

What you're saying is, men and women are biologically different (which is true) but you also go to say that because of these biological differences, it's okay for women to accept an inferior position in society which I think is inherently wrong. There may be more laws pushing for equality but the gender role expectations in society is still causing inequality. Liberal feminists strive to change these attitudes but people are opposed to feminism because they see it as a radical group who only cares about women. There is a radical sect to feminism but the majority just want the equality of the sexes and it's frustrating that people do not understand this nor do they want to.
Original post by NeoMarxist
What you're saying is, men and women are biologically different (which is true) but you also go to say that because of these biological differences, it's okay for women to accept an inferior position in society which I think is inherently wrong. There may be more laws pushing for equality but the gender role expectations in society is still causing inequality. Liberal feminists strive to change these attitudes but people are opposed to feminism because they see it as a radical group who only cares about women. There is a radical sect to feminism but the majority just want the equality of the sexes and it's frustrating that people do not understand this nor do they want to.

there is a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

Ideally a large percentage of women might like to be "stay at home mums" to create neighbourhoods and culture (as it was in the olden days). Now no one hardly knows their neighbours at all. This opportunity of being a "stay at home mum" has been removed by all political thinking

How many liberal feminists (or even conservatives or anyone) are pushing for the rights to be "stay at home mums"? In our current system its almost considered a sin against humanity to want to be a "stay at home mum"

But why should it be? Surely people should be free to follow their dreams and if their dream is to be at home building "localism" and "society" and "culture" why should we force them into the work place?

How can a group who's sole focus is furthering women's rights be for equality?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that turn you on when more laws are being pushed? You obviously don't like freedom much and you clearly don't want people to have freedoms at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending