The Student Room Group

"Feminism is useless in the first world"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
How can a group who's sole focus is furthering women's rights be for equality?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, furthering the rights of women so they are the same as men. How is that not pushing for equality? I just don't understand.
Original post by TrueDetective01
Does that turn you on when more laws are being pushed? You obviously don't like freedom much and you clearly don't want people to have freedoms at all

Where is the correlation between what I said and what you just claimed. I have no idea. How does wanting equal rights equate with not wanting freedom. I am quite baffled.
Original post by anna__
Given the fact that in my first month of living in Cologne I had 6 derogotary comments (at least) made towards me and was even grabbed, and invited back to a random mans house whilst sat on the tube minding my own business, I do not think its pointless. At all. We live in such a backwards society.

How exactly is that against the law? Would you prefer nobody spoke to you at all?

Those comments are a side effect of free speech and liberty. It doesn't mean you are not equal.
Original post by FredOrJohn
there is a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

Ideally a large percentage of women might like to be "stay at home mums" to create neighbourhoods and culture (as it was in the olden days). Now no one hardly knows their neighbours at all. This opportunity of being a "stay at home mum" has been removed by all political thinking

How many liberal feminists (or even conservatives or anyone) are pushing for the rights to be "stay at home mums"? In our current system its almost considered a sin against humanity to want to be a "stay at home mum"

But why should it be? Surely people should be free to follow their dreams and if their dream is to be at home building "localism" and "society" and "culture" why should we force them into the work place?

It is a misconception to suggest feminism is against "stay at home mums". It's about choice and forced gender role allocation. Some women feel that just because they are a women, they should be "stay at home mums" and that is wrong. But some women may just like to be "stay at home mums" for the same reason some men may want to be "stay at home dads"; not because of gender but because its a choice and they don't feel pressured by traditional gender roles.
Gender- and sex-based prejudice, hostility, discrimination and double standards still exist. That is a problem that we should aim to solve. I don't particularly care if we label it 'feminism' or not.
Original post by NeoMarxist
Where is the correlation between what I said and what you just claimed. I have no idea. How does wanting equal rights equate with not wanting freedom. I am quite baffled.

You are advocating the use of force :smile:. You want the state to make decisions for you and I
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, furthering the rights of women so they are the same as men. How is that not pushing for equality? I just don't understand.

What right do men have and women do not?
Original post by TrueDetective01
You are advocating the use of force :smile:. You want the state to make decisions for you and I

Where did you get that from?
Original post by joecphillips
What right do men have and women do not?

The right of society not seeing them as inferior due to their gender. For example, there may be laws saying employers should not discriminate based on gender but in actuality employers still do and men get top CEO positions even when more women are going to university and getting first-class degrees. There is deep-rooted gender inequality within our society. Just because we have become more equal doesn't mean there's equality.
The right of society not seeing them as inferior due to their gender. For example, there may be laws saying employers should not discriminate based on gender but in actuality employers still do and men get top CEO positions even when more women are going to university and getting first-class degrees. There is deep-rooted gender inequality within our society. Just because we have become more equal doesn't mean there's equality.

Have you ever considered the fact that is because in general men put in more hours and are prepared to work rediculous hours.

You don't have the right to force someone to see you a certain way a man doesn't have this right either, it's good to see you are making up rights now.
Original post by joecphillips
Have you ever considered the fact that is because in general men put in more hours and are prepared to work rediculous hours.

You don't have the right to force someone to see you a certain way a man doesn't have this right either, it's good to see you are making up rights now.

I was waiting for you to bring that up. Men putting in more hours and prepared to work ridiculous* hours is not the sole reason though. The reality is that men are seen as more superior than women in society and THERE IS inequality whether it be consciously or subconsciously, within there law or within society. I advise you not to take everything you see at face value; that just because there are laws in place, women are now equal to men. I believe that equal rights for women will also benefit men. Men all be able to take the role of the homemaker without feeling that there is a stigma attached. Also, male victims of domestic violence will be treated the same as female victims of domestic violence. It's a win win situation and by saying you don't believe there is any need for feminism, you're also oppressing men.
Where did you get that from?

Your posts :smile:?

Because if your aim is to eradicate all female disadvantage you'd be left with only male disadvantage meaning women would be superior

Posted from TSR Mobile
That awkward moment when you realize that the very word contains the word 'mini'

Aite ..THIS IS JOKE TSR~!! DOnt flag meh~ :wavingtheflag:

I always get flagged for saying stupid pointless stuff.. but that is the very reason of my existence.

Now I may not be a feminist but yeah men and women are equal in my eyes.

On a side note the word 'first world' has a neo colonialist or neo imperialistic connotation to it...
SO ...
One world = one people = love~
Thanks

Men are far more likely to do degrees that enable them to become CEO's

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was waiting for you to bring that up. Men putting in more hours and prepared to work ridiculous* hours is not the sole reason though. The reality is that men are seen as more superior than women in society and THERE IS inequality whether it be consciously or subconsciously, within there law or within society. I advise you not to take everything you see at face value; that just because there are laws in place, women are now equal to men. I believe that equal rights for women will also benefit men. Men all be able to take the role of the homemaker without feeling that there is a stigma attached. Also, male victims of domestic violence will be treated the same as female victims of domestic violence. It's a win win situation and by saying you don't believe there is any need for feminism, you're also oppressing men.

Well feminism is the oppression of male sexuality whilst elevating female sexuality.Then again, marxists couldn't care about that could they :smile:

It's called nature. Men are built for stress, stamina and leadership. Women are built for emotion, delicacy and support. This is the way the world works.

Sure, we're not animals, and those traits arent as relevant in modern workplaces, and its good that more women are going into work than in times past. But to say there aren't enough female CEOs? How is that a measure of inequality? You could compare something like there aren't enough female teachers, as that is a profession that had demographics worth measuring. CEOs are few and far between, and the fact of the matter is that ON AVERAGE , women don't have what it takes. Do not think that this means I'm looking down on women or seeing them as inferior. They are not. But humans are suited for different roles, just as a carpenter cannot be CEO material either.

And you are naive to think laws will truly make us equal in the way you think. Do you think this will mean that women will no longer consider height in men as attractive? Or men will consider overweight women attractive? The latter is already being pushed down everyone's throat, yet short men accept their fate. Where is the equality in that?
Original post by donutellme
It's called nature. Men are built for stress, stamina and leadership. Women are built for emotion, delicacy and support. This is the way the world works.

Sure, we're not animals, and those traits arent as relevant in modern workplaces, and its good that more women are going into work than in times past. But to say there aren't enough female CEOs? How is that a measure of inequality? You could compare something like there aren't enough female teachers, as that is a profession that had demographics worth measuring. CEOs are few and far between, and the fact of the matter is that ON AVERAGE , women don't have what it takes. Do not think that this means I'm looking down on women or seeing them as inferior. They are not. But humans are suited for different roles, just as a carpenter cannot be CEO material either.

And you are naive to think laws will truly make us equal in the way you think. Do you think this will mean that women will no longer consider height in men as attractive? Or men will consider overweight women attractive? The latter is already being pushed down everyone's throat, yet short men accept their fate. Where is the equality in that?

The dude is a marxist, duhh
Reply 238

Curious whether you've read this thread and looked at all the ways that society discriminates against men?

You'll find that despite being far more serious issues than the possibly mythical gender pay gap, they get way, way less attention.
such as what? what are the issues that men are facing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending