The Student Room Group

"Feminism is useless in the first world"

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Feminism promotes equality for females.

Untill someone can give me a first world right that men have that women don't, Feminism doesn't do much in the first world, It's constantly looking for new dragons to slay.
Reply 2
Given the fact that in my first month of living in Cologne I had 6 derogotary comments (at least) made towards me and was even grabbed, and invited back to a random mans house whilst sat on the tube minding my own business, I do not think its pointless. At all. We live in such a backwards society.
Before you even begin you want to set the right framework. 1st world / 3rd world? are these even technically correct terms, going back some years ago they were referred to as Less Economically Developed Countries ("LEDCs") or More Economically Developed Countries ("MEDCs") the notion that there is a 1st world and a 3rd world only gives spirit to us living on totally separate planets, which might inevitably please some people, but it simply isn't true.

Second, you want to make sure your definition of feminism is correct - you have a proper playing field then and can answer the question.

My personal answer to your question (or what I think it is) is yes; true feminism like many strives for equality has a positive impact on society and helps to maintain an appropriate balance between media control and people power. Without it, would it be much worse?. I mean, the majority are already wearing make-up made and advertised by men for example.

Food for thought.
Reply 4
Original post by anna__
Given the fact that in my first month of living in Cologne I had 6 derogotary comments (at least) made towards me and was even grabbed, and invited back to a random mans house whilst sat on the tube minding my own business, I do not think its pointless. At all. We live in such a backwards society.

Do we really though?

I mean, you are using anecdotal evidence to back up your point..
Reply 5
Original post by nathan2k1
Before you even begin you want to set the right framework. 1st world / 3rd world? are these even technically correct terms, going back some years ago they were referred to as Less Economically Developed Countries ("LEDCs":wink: or More Economically Developed Countries ("MEDCs":wink: the notion that there is a 1st world and a 3rd world only gives spirit to us living on totally separate planets, which might inevitably please some people, but it simply isn't true.

Second, you want to make sure your definition of feminism is correct - you have a proper playing field then and can answer the question.

My personal answer to your question (or what I think it is) is yes; true feminism like many strives for equality has a positive impact on society and helps to maintain an appropriate balance between media control and people power. Without it, would it be much worse?. I mean, the majority are already wearing make-up made and advertised by men for example.

Food for thought.

This is completely avoiding the question, so null point.

How do you define feminism? I mean, you have made the statement so you might as well offer an answer.

In answer to this, I would say that you seem to not see the point of this thread. Women in the LEDC (if you are nit picking) seem to be far more oppressed and not even have basic rights. In the first world, the majority of rights are gained and available.
Feminism enforces equality through government agency :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by TrueDetective01
Feminism enforces equality through government agency :smile:

What does that even mean?
Feminism

Is a thing.
I don't think I completely avoided your question but fair enough :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Feminism

Is a thing.

Correct
Original post by CheekyYear11
Feminism promotes equality for females.

Untill someone can give me a first world right that men have that women don't, Feminism doesn't do much in the first world, It's constantly looking for new dragons to slay.

You need to EDJOCATE URSELV

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11760417/Air-conditioning-in-your-office-is-sexist.-True-story.html

ITS 2016 SMH
Original post by IAmNero

Government holds a gun to your head in the name of equality :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IAmNero

Feminism enforces equality through government agency

Feminism

Is a thing.

It's been confirmed.

Original post by nathan2k1
I don't think I completely avoided your question but fair enough :tongue:

Ayy a reasonable guy.
Reply 14
Original post by TrueDetective01
Government holds a gun to your head in terms of equality :smile:

Original post by CheekyYear11
Feminism enforces equality through government agency

It's been confirmed.

Ayy a reasonable guy.

Oops, my bad, I misread :colondollar:
Original post by IAmNero
Correct

thanks

but seriously, where's my gold star
Original post by IAmNero
Discuss.

should both sexes not be as equal as each other? I mean that's not really fair on both sides
Original post by IAmNero
Do we really though?

I mean, you are using anecdotal evidence to back up your point..

Which is all you can do. It happens a lot - all of the things she has described. I know so many people who have experienced similar issues. Feminism isn't just about legal issues. Social attitudes towards women and men are still absolutely ****.
Reply 18
thanks

but seriously, where's my gold star

All outta gold stars

you can have rep though
Original post by IAmNero
All outta gold stars

you can have rep though

that's terrible!!!!!!!!!!!! go get more I want one!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest