The Student Room Group

Migrant rape in Japan

Scroll to see replies

Haven't seen any mention of the raping of Japanese women by US soliders during their occupation of Japan. Did they ever apologise? Is it taught in American schools? Unlikely, due to the censorship of media at the time and silence of the victims, the real scale of the problem was massively underestimated. Britain and the US sweep certain aspects of their own history under the carpet, it's not something unique to Japan.

But, I am by no means taking sides. Of course Japan committed atrocities during the war. But it would be naive to believe that these were exclusive to the "bad guys". Or that the Japanese are completely oblivious to them.

I lived in Japan for a while. And I can assure you that the Japanese people are very aware of their own history, what they did and what was done to them. The post-war generations were incredibly anti-war, and today's generation has adopted that pacifist nature from those before them and from what they are taught in school (WW2 is taught from a very neutral standpoint. The focus is very much on the horrors of the war, the suffering it caused at home and abroad. Unlike in some Western countries (i'm looking at you, US), Japan's successes are not glorified, their mistakes not dwelled upon. The Japanese people just REALLY hate war, and as a result the who, what, when and why is often only touched upon in schools. But WAR IS BAD. You'd be right in saying that Japan's atrocities are covered very lightly, but that doesn't mean that the Japanese people of today aren't fully aware of them. It's difficult not to be nowadays with easy access to international media)

There was a disconnect between the government and the Japanese people even at the time, which for today's population is even bigger. The actions of their ancestors don't in anyway reflect the mindset of the Japanese people today, and I support their decision not to carry the burden and apologise for those actions, it's not their responsibility.

Regardless of that, it was reported just today that Mitsubishi Materials are offering up to $56m in compensation and apologies to the families of Chinese workers forced into labour during WW2. The Japanese people will be fully aware of why this happening, and support it.
Original post by Jebedee
Japan took in 27 migrants. Two of them from Turkey have been arrested for gang raping and robbing a Japanese woman.

Germany has taken in over a million and from less moderate countries than Turkey.

You do the math...

Original source: http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/160222/afr1602220014-n1.html

English : http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2016/02/22/tokyo-cops-arrest-turkish-asylum-seekers-in-gang-rape-of-woman/

Anyone else want to complain about how Japan aren't taking enough migrants?

Perversion of Islam
Nothing to do with Islam
Religion of Peace
Anti Muslim backlash
Diversity is our strength
Enrichment
Minority of Muslims
Victims of a brainwashing cult
Victims of poverty
Ethnic indigenous Japanese commit crime too
They took Korean sex slaves in WW2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Suezu Arashi
No one knows for sure what happened, as we don't know which country is telling the truth. This isn't to say that I think none of it happened but you can't be certain China and Korea are always the one telling the truth.

International observer *wink*wink*

they tell the truth.

Why do you quote yourself? Forgot to log in your dupe account to agree to yourself?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
International observer *wink*wink*

Why do you quote yourself? Forgot to log in your dupe account to agree to yourself?

lol I think @Suezu Arashi wanted to continue his reply after posting it?
No one knows for sure what happened, as we don't know which country is telling the truth. This isn't to say that I think none of it happened but you can't be certain China and Korea are always the one telling the truth.

So you're saying the Rape of Nanking was a lie?
Not a lie, but sources disagree on the scale.

It doesn't matter what the scale was. A war crime is still a war crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending