The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Physics Unit 1 New Spec Exam

Can't seem to find a thread for this exam so thought id make this- how did you guys find it?

Scroll to see replies

I did it this morning - there were some tough questions, like when you had to use "x = vt - 1/2at^2" which isn't in the formula booklet, but I found most of it okay. Seems like there's not many people on here doing WJEC new spec unfortunately
found it very cheeky they used photon energy in the unit one, although apparently it is mentioned somewhere in the spec. What did people find the particle x to be?
Reply 3
Original post by kittensrcute
found it very cheeky they used photon energy in the unit one, although apparently it is mentioned somewhere in the spec. What did people find the particle x to be?

I deduced it to be a proton.

4u + 2d -> 2u1d + x + uu* ( * = anti)

So simple algebra I said X = 2u+1d which is a proton
(edited 7 years ago)
I deduced it to be a proton too
I didn't like this exam, but I felt like if I was doing it like a practice paper I could've done better.
What did u think of the radiation type questions?
Reply 6
Original post by Exotic-L
I didn't like this exam, but I felt like if I was doing it like a practice paper I could've done better.
What did u think of the radiation type questions?

I quite liked the topic 6 stars questions actually. Although that's the easiest topic imo, they ask very similar questions every year. I thought the 6 mark QER about the marble's energy was nice too

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that the paper was hard than the specimen one they provoded
but I didn't care too much about the ****in asteroid lander question
Reply 9
I also think that the paper was harder than the specimen one they provoded. Thank you.
Reply 10
Original post by hydorh
I also think that the paper was harder than the specimen one they provoded. Thank you.

Yeah me too! The specimen paper was pretty much just past paper questions from 2009 onwards tho, which all seemed easier than our paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spot on! A proton it is! A bit naughty to use a neutral pion, though ):-(
(edited 7 years ago)
On the surface, this appears to be quite an easy paper. However, there are a few extra steps needed that make it hard:

* Question 1 - The uncertainty equations were not in the data booklet

* Question 2 - No past paper questions had a neutral pion

* Question 3 - Easy, except The Ratio threw me

* Question 4 - Easy

* Question 5 - Easy

* Question 6 - The diagram is not the best

* Question 7 - Got confused with graph showing momentum instead of velocity
Question 1

Density = Mass / Volume = 45.4 / 5.6 = 8.107 g cm^-3

U(mass) = 0.5 P(mass) = (0.5 / 45.4) X 100 = 1%

U(volume)
Question 1

Density = Mass / Volume = 45.4 / 5.6 = 8.107 g cm^-3

U(mass) = 0.5 P(mass) = (0.5 / 45.4) X 100 = 1%

U(volume) 0.2 P(volume) = 0.2 / 5.6 X 100 = 4%

P(density) = P(mass) + P(volume) = 1% + 4% = 5%

(ii)

5% of 8.107 = 0.41

Density = 8.107 +- 0.41 g cm^-3

(b)

(I)

Iron, brass and nichrome as all of these densities fall within the uncertainty of the density result

(ii)

The volume gives the greatest uncertainty as you can be 0.2cm^3 out in only 5.6cm^3
Are there any unofficial markschemes out there? And is there a copy of the exam paper itself available online?
Reply 16
Original post by jwstarfish
Are there any unofficial markschemes out there? And is there a copy of the exam paper itself available online?

Not that I'm aware of. Hopefully someone will link one soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could do one if it would be useful?
Reply 18
Original post by mistergriffles
I could do one if it would be useful?

Do you have the paper? + yes, that would be v useful :biggrin:
Reply 19
How did you guys find unit 2 today? I thought it went really went to be honest - the 6 mark q was very nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending