Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Mature Students...

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm looking at applying to University pending an Access to HE course and although there are lots of articles about going to university as a mature student nothing gives me an honest picture.

Are there any mature students on here who are willing to talk about their experiences and share any hints and tips they have...

I'm 30 years old, spent 10 years in the Royal Navy before leaving in 2014. I'm looking at applying for a Business with Supply Chain Management BA(Hons) course with Northumbria University.

Thanks in advance...

(Original post by mikejames2612)
    Did you ask questions like this before each posting? Thousands of 18 year olds cope, it's a doddle if you have some life experience. It's even easier than that if you are ex mil, because you understand the concepts of achieving a standard, following the rules and meeting deadlines - the things that trip up most students.

I went back to Uni after 17 years (in light blue) and basically spent 3 years on the weekend. It's all laid on for you, all your needs are catered for and you have endless people you can go and ask, facilities you can use, discounts, cheap bars, sports facilities and clubs etc etc.

Just make sure that you focus on employment after Uni from your second year onwards, don't leave it too late. There does seem to be a bit of a limbo where Uni Careers services don't seem to get that a recent graduate with 10+ years of prior experience isn't like any other recent graduate, and the Service leavers support don't seem to get placing people wanting to use anything but mil experience.

Do you have any particular concerns? As the previous poster said, mature students generally cope well with the workload. I found some challenges, but a darn sight easier than mangling 150 staff and a £3million budget!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.