The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Civil Rights America 19th/20th Century - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quinners7
Wasn't AIM another word for Red Power? I thought AIM was just the organisation behind it

Aim was the American Indian Group, established in 1968 and Red Power is referring to the actions of Native Americans in general, that emerged in the 60s and 70s, with the NIYC, NARF e.t.c
Reply 141
For the women's question, I wrote it like it was a turning points essay, do you think it was ok?
Original post by cuchyo
For the women's question, I wrote it like it was a turning points essay, do you think it was ok?

I think I did the same thing. I structured the essay into: Political, Economic and Social and compared the stuff in the 1960s to other significant events in the period. In several sentences I said "therefore the 1960s was not the most significant turning point." I hope thats not a problem.
Original post by allexxz
I think I did the same thing. I structured the essay into: Political, Economic and Social and compared the stuff in the 1960s to other significant events in the period. In several sentences I said "therefore the 1960s was not the most significant turning point." I hope thats not a problem.

I did it by like a turning point question too and used the social, political and economic themes as well (I think most people did)

I also used the same themes for NA (s,p,e), I know I could have picked better ones but I used them to assess how far each thing had advanced civil rights as I defined rights for NA as social, economic, political progress/equality (if that makes sense)

I know other themes would have been better but it what I did for NA okay?
Original post by Hattie_Hats
I did it by like a turning point question too and used the social, political and economic themes as well (I think most people did)

I also used the same themes for NA (s,p,e), I know I could have picked better ones but I used them to assess how far each thing had advanced civil rights as I defined rights for NA as social, economic, political progress/equality (if that makes sense)

For natives my themes were: Land rights, Tribal rights, religious/cultural rights and political rights. I think as long as your themes fit in and have a range of examples you should be fine.
Original post by allexxz
For natives my themes were: Land rights, Tribal rights, religious/cultural rights and political rights. I think as long as your themes fit in and have a range of examples you should be fine.

Yeah a friend of mine did similar themes to you (and she always gets 100% in every essay, lucky thing)

I think it fit and I hopefully argued it well but I think my themes meant that it wasn't particularly sophisticated and a little all over the place but I suppose that's exam panic for you
Yeah a friend of mine did similar themes to you (and she always gets 100% in every essay, lucky thing)

I think it fit and I hopefully argued it well but I think my themes meant that it wasn't particularly sophisticated and a little all over the place but I suppose that's exam panic for you

Its probably not as bad as you think. Its all over now so its not worth worrying about anymore I guess
That women essay was a godsend :biggrin:
Original post by Gingerbread101
That women essay was a godsend :biggrin:

Tell me about it. If that didn't come up I would have done nothing for 2 hours. However I wasn't well prepared enough to do a proper essay on NA so overall I think I did REALLY bad. :frown:
Original post by ArcticSlayer
Tell me about it. If that didn't come up I would have done nothing for 2 hours. However I wasn't well prepared enough to do a proper essay on NA so overall I think I did REALLY bad. :frown:

I'm sure the women one will pull your grade up :h:

I did political, socio-economic and cultural rights for Native Americans - that exam was weird though, so glad the women question was nice.
I saw them both as turning point questions. For women I did about the Comstock laws being negative development, and then said about gaining the right to vote. Then the new deal, then the 60's so Griswold Connecticut, equal pay act, civil rights act and the pill and then I did the 70s with Eisenstadt v Baird, and Roe V Wade. Then brought it up to 1992 in my conclusion. Does that sound alright? I'm so worried about this exam it was a horrid paper
Reply 152
I hated it, I contrasted black panthers with other factors such as white opposition e.g KKK and government hindered
I majorly f***ed this paper up.
For one thing, black power is SO specific and was a first since they'e had this specification. I revised it that morning too, and remember thinking it would be odd AF if they asked a question on that, as all of the mark schemes focused on the AA CR movement on the whole or against MLK or BTW. My textbook had literally one small paragraph on Black Panthers, I had barely more than a sentence in my notes from class, and none of the mark schemes went into any depth for it either. Yet the way that question was framed, you'd have to dedicate a full paragraph to the Black Panthers alone...

I mentioned the KKK, the black codes (NO dates! just that they prevented black people being on juries and made it difficult to vote even though they had the franchise) and vaguely mentioned the government/supreme court. I couldn't remember any laws or cases, just mentioned there was a ruling of separate but equal, and loving v virginia later allowing interracial marriage. Somehow I managed to write three-four paragraphs out of this... I must have padded it with A LOT of waffle and repetition.

I couldn't remember anything about women's rights other than Comstock, Roe v Wade, Feminine Mystique, the pill, the CRA of god knows which year which paid for children in some way or the other, so I didn't answer it. I knew there was an equal pay act, but didn't know when. I was hopeless tbh.

I revised NA upto to the end of 1950 or beginning of 1960, but remembered NOTHING. No dates, no names of events, not even vaguely when the event happened. Unforttunately, NA's mostly gained their rights from 1970 onwards which is where I stopped revising that morning -_-
I think it's going to be a D (I'll be lucky to get a C!).

I'm doing 3 A-Levels and it's the ONLY paper where I had a massive blank for even a bit of it, let alone all of it! Really gutted as I wanted to get at least a B on this paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
Same for the african americans. I hardly mentioned the panthers in my themes if i did it would be 1 or 2 lines. As for my other factors i just did the three different branches of govt i completely forgot about the kkk!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wish there was a way of fav-ing some of the posts!
Reply 156
Hey guys, after creating this thread i completely forgot about it haha, for some reason I didn't get notifications through...

As for the exam I chose the AA and NA question and found them relatively easy, I split my AA essay into Social/Political/Economic and said how the Black Panthers, Fed Govt, White opposition and lack of unity hindered CR, my leading argument was the lack of unity amongst the classes was the main hindrance and it wasn't until the 50/60s with MLK where finally a cross-class movement was established.

The NA essay i did pretty much the same thing but obviously the factors where slightly different and my success criteria was; Land/Sovereignty/Culture!

Hope it went we'll for you guys!
Guys - so I got a D in this unit!

I got 82 & 100 UMS though for unit 1 (Nazi Germany) and unit 2 (British Foreign Policy).

For both, I essentially did a timeline and colour coded key dates by theme.

So, for BFP, I did 1940s, 1950s, 1960s up to the 1990s. I had all nuclear related dates highlighted one colour, colonisation highlighted in another etc.

But I found it really hard figuring out how to remember the civil rights dates.

Did you guys do a timeline for each *minority group (so one timeline for everything AA related, another for TUs, etc) or did you do it by decade with ALL of different groups' dates down for that decade?

I might have to resit this one (again).*
QUOTE=marty_marts;65376663]I've been getting above 90% for all my essays I can help you if you'd like :smile:

Hey I've got the civil rights exam in a few months and I was wondering what advice you have for remembering everything and writing a good essay? I find the Access to History book too detailed but the revision guide too brief for learning the content. With regards to essay writing, I've got issues with timing+strucure and my handwriting isn't great either, especially under the pressure of an exam :frown: Any advice would be incredibly helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest