The Student Room Group

Thyroid blood test results

If the tsh blood test result is 0.80 above the upper range of the thyroid blood test result , what does that mean?
Reply 1
You might have an over active thyroid. They will probably do more teats before any offical diagnosis
Reply 2
Original post by Simonthegreat
If the tsh blood test result is 0.80 above the upper range of the thyroid blood test result , what does that mean?

Your doctor will inturpret the results to decide if you have hyperthyroidism. Quite possible they will want to run the same test in around a month to see if there is any change before diagnosis.
If you are hyperthyroid treatment options will be discussed. They are quite simple.
The GP has not said anything and I wondered if that was quite normal, so really picking any medics brains. I think it means it is an underactive thyroid but confused.
A raised level of thyroid stimulating hormone (tsh) can indicate an under-active thyroid. However, it needs to be looked at in conjunction with your other thyroid hormone levels, which should also have been measured in your thyroid function test. You need to ask your doctor for the full picture!
only the tsh is not normal the rest were ok. Don't want to bother the gp and just worried that he will prescribe medication which I understand that you remain on for life.
[QUOTE=Simonthegreat;65249721]only the tsh is not normal the rest were ok. Don't want to bother the gp and just worried that he will prescribe medication which I understand that you remain on for life.

If all the rest are normal you're fine! It sounds as though your tsh is only very slightly raised anyway (there is quite a wide 'normal' range from something like 0.5 to 4.5 I think, but I can't remember the figures for sure).

If your tsh is raised while everything else is normal it is known as "subclinical hypothyroidism", which is not normally treated. Your gp might want to repeat the test occasionally just to keep an eye on it.

Just wondering why you had the tests in the first place, though? Do you have symptoms that suggest a thyroid disorder?
Original post by ontherazzle
If all the rest are normal you're fine! It sounds as though your tsh is only very slightly raised anyway (there is quite a wide 'normal' range from something like 0.5 to 4.5 I think, but I can't remember the figures for sure).

If your tsh is raised while everything else is normal it is known as "subclinical hypothyroidism", which is not normally treated. Your gp might want to repeat the test occasionally just to keep an eye on it.

Just wondering why you had the tests in the first place, though? Do you have symptoms that suggest a thyroid disorder?

Both blood tests taken 6 months apart came back with almost identical results. I thing the tsh was 4.98 or something like that. Does that mean that it will develop into a full blown condition in the future? is there anything that can be done apart from medication for life?
[QUOTE=Simonthegreat;65250909]Both blood tests taken 6 months apart came back with almost identical results. I thing the tsh was 4.98 or something like that. Does that mean that it will develop into a full blown condition in the future? is there anything that can be done apart from medication for life?

It can get more pronounced as time goes on, but not necessarily. It sounds as though yours is pretty stable so I wouldn't worry. If your other thyroid hormone levels start to fall, and if you also have symptoms that trouble you, you can be prescribed thyroxine tablets which you would then normally continue to take. I take them myself and they are fine, they actually make you feel much better and I definitely wouldn't like to be without them! But if you don't have any symptoms you have no need to take them and I'm quite sure your doctor would not suggest that you do.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest