Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Failed or done badly in first year?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am a first year law student in Bristol uni. In March my grandad was diagnosed unexpectedly with terminal cancer and was very unwell, so I moved from uni halls back home to be able to see him and help take care of him. I have a very small family and am very close to him.
    As time went on and more expected events occurred although I did try to revise for my exams the time and effort I put in was about 25% of what I would have normally put in. Time that I had put aside to revise was disturbed and often cut sort because I had to go to the hospital etc and honestly, when I was revising I was distracted. I've lawyers revised over weeks and months for exams as cramming is not something that works for me!
    I sat trying to do my final piece of coursework in the hospital between visiting hours and I don't hold out much hope for a decent grade on that.
    So far I have sat 2/4 exams and although I answered all that was necessary I don't feel my answers were very good and I'm not sure they'd even gain a 3rd.
    I have spoken to the uni about extenuating circumstances and they say I need evidence of my grandfathers condition but this is proving difficult to get due to confidentiality. So, I don't know if i'll get it.
    Basically, if I do fail or get a low grade what happens then? When I want to apply for work experience next year they'll ask for my first grade and ignore me because it will be low, won't they? I want to do an LPC after my degree and I need work experience for this
    I'm so stressed and overwhelmed by everything right now! If anyone has any advice that would be great

You dont need work experience for an LPC unless its changed?

You will be able to get evidence of his conition. Maybe thers a social worker involved, your own GP (about the stress you have veen under) or a letter from his consultant or GP . Maube he has a macmillan nurse? It doesnt have to be detailed. They dont have to give away anything confidential, they can confirm his medical state. You can also evidence the fact you left Uni halls and that you moved back home.

I would think about asking to resit the exams or if you missed most of the course, then resit the year. You could also try asking SFE if you could ahve it viewed as EC so you dont use up your spare year.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.