Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Where do LSE graduates continue their studies?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I was offered a place for PPE at LSE. I have already firmed it and I am sure it is the right choice for me. However, I am now wondering about the academic perspectives of LSE graduates. How likely is it to get into good US Unis (Ivies etc.) or Oxbridge as an above average LSE student after graduating? Does anyone know real-life examples or have personal experience on the topic?

    Thanks in advance, beklal

    24.7% of undergraduates and 10.1% of postgraduates go into further study according to this article - http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/careers/2015/...s-go-on-to-do/

    You can check Linkedin to find people who have gone to Ivies/Oxbridge after LSE.

    Here are some examples:

    LSE to Oxford - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/callum-bruce-a580034a

    LSE to Oxford to LSE - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/rrstones

    LSE to Cambridge to Yale - https://www.linkedin.com/in/gauravchiplunkar

    LSE to Yale - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/majsterek

    LSE to Yale - https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremy-foo-8853a762

    LSE to Yale - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/alistair-hughes-0761a85a

    LSE to Princeton - https://www.linkedin.com/in/sophia-ning-lu-ba83371a

    LSE to Princeton - https://www.linkedin.com/in/yannkoby

    LSE to Princeton - https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshua-bernstein-47baa332

    LSE to Stanford - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/pavithrasel

    I also found this article about three LSE students who were awarded Fulbright Scholarships in 2009 to study at Harvard - http://www.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/ne...olarships.aspx

    There are also many people who go to Ivies/Oxbridge first and then to LSE.

    Just finished my undergrad at LSE. My overall impression was that further study was not as popular as one might expect - I'm sure that official school figure is bumped up by all the law grads going on to do the LPC. Most people I know get commercial jobs when they leave.


    If you get a 1st in a qualitative subject (history, philosophy, politics, IR, etc), you can pretty much walk into a masters in a related qualitative field in Oxbridge. Getting that 1st will be hard though - even if you consider yourself an above average student. There's no grade inflation at LSE...the modules PPE-ists have to take typically have a 5%-15% first rate, and you'll need to earn 5 out of 9 firsts to get a first overall. ~18-20% of philosophy / gov students got a first in their degree last year. I say this having just spent another 9 weeks doing 8-12 hours of revision a day...and will probably end up getting a standard 2:i like most of my coursemates (and for the record, my A-level average scores were ~95%). Not that I'm bitter... :P

    If you get a 2:i, things will be substantially more difficult - but certainly not impossible. A coursemate got into stanford law on a 2:i - another got a Schwarzman scholarship - although these are exceptional cases. You could probably still get into Oxbridge if you're applying to one of their less popular masters that don't require a 1st to apply. As you probably know already, econ is a whole different ball game.

    Examples of places friends have gone, off the top of my head: City University (journalism); Oxford (IR); UCL (Econ); Oxford (Politics); Cambridge (History); UCL (management); Imperial (Environmental Technology); UCL (Computer Science - after doing undergrad in logic!); UBC (Gender); Tokyo; University of San Carlos
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.