The Student Room Group

AQA Unseen Poetry

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach the unseen poetry? Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:
basically I did one. I thought i was terrible turns out I got 14/18 what I did was firstly i my opening paragraph I gave a brief overview of the play basically just saying what it was about then I did 3 paragraphs as my main body. I did a point a paragraph. Picking out certain quotes that relate to the theme and comment on the affect it has. talk about a readers view as well. also pick out things like enjambment and caesura and similes and metaphors and comment on why you think the author used it and the affect it has.

good luck for your exam
Original post by the real isa
basically I did one. I thought i was terrible turns out I got 14/18 what I did was firstly i my opening paragraph I gave a brief overview of the play basically just saying what it was about then I did 3 paragraphs as my main body. I did a point a paragraph. Picking out certain quotes that relate to the theme and comment on the affect it has. talk about a readers view as well. also pick out things like enjambment and caesura and similes and metaphors and comment on why you think the author used it and the affect it has.

good luck for your exam

thank you!
Don't worry too much about unseen, a really good structure for it is A HIT POEM
A- About (a rough summary of what the poem is about)
H- Historical (if it is relevant to the poem mention historical context, eg.. a 2nd World War poem so early 1940's)
I- Imagery (note any vivid or descriptive language)
T- Techniques (does the poet use alliteration, similes etc..)
P- Personal response (how does the poet in the way they write make you respond ?)
O- Organisation (structure, how is the poem organised/structured and why? eg the poet uses many stanza's to represent the narrators fragmented mind)
E- Emotions (what is the tone or the mood of the poem ? )
M - Message ( what is the main message the poet is trying to convey ?)
Hope this helps ! x
Original post by Anjolalalala
Don't worry too much about unseen, a really good structure for it is A HIT POEM
A- About (a rough summary of what the poem is about)
H- Historical (if it is relevant to the poem mention historical context, eg.. a 2nd World War poem so early 1940's)
I- Imagery (note any vivid or descriptive language)
T- Techniques (does the poet use alliteration, similes etc..)
P- Personal response (how does the poet in the way they write make you respond ?)
O- Organisation (structure, how is the poem organised/structured and why? eg the poet uses many stanza's to represent the narrators fragmented mind)
E- Emotions (what is the tone or the mood of the poem ? )
M - Message ( what is the main message the poet is trying to convey ?)
Hope this helps ! x

nice acronym, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest