The Student Room Group

EU Vows To Use New Powers To Block All Elected ‘Far Right’ Populists From Power

The President of the unelected executive arm of the European Union (EU) has vowed to block all right wing populists from power across the continent, shortly after acquiring the power to exert “far-reaching sanctions” on elected governments.

Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, promised to exclude Norbert Hofer, the leader of Austria’s Freedom Party (FPÖ), from all EU decision-making if elected ahead of yesterday’s presidential vote.

“There will be no debate or dialogue with the far-right,” the liberal bureaucrat told AFP.

The FPÖ has been Austria’s top-polling political force for some time. However, after leading the pack for most of the presidential race, the right-wing candidate lost out by 0.6 per cent to the Green party, after the inclusion of postal votes, and months of Europe’s mainstream media calling the centre-right populist “far right”.

Right wing populists are periodically topping the polls across the continent in France, Sweden, Holland, and now Austria and anti-migrant populists are already in power in Hungary, Poland, and the Czech Republic.

Mr. Junker’s definition of “far right” is somewhat broad, noted by him previously describing Hungary’s conservative president, Viktor Orbán, as a “fascist.”

Scroll to see replies

The only source I have found on this is Breitbart which is a little, hmm, sketchy (none of the sources relate to what the title is suggesting). Do you have any other sources which directly say they're doing this, it would be a bit dictatorial if they did.
Reply 2
Original post by Was Rigged
The President of the unelected executive arm of the European Union (EU) has vowed to block all right wing populists from power across the continent, shortly after acquiring the power to exert “far-reaching sanctions” on elected governments.

Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, promised to exclude Norbert Hofer, the leader of Austria’s Freedom Party (FPÖ), from all EU decision-making if elected ahead of yesterday’s presidential vote.

“There will be no debate or dialogue with the far-right,” the liberal bureaucrat told AFP.

The FPÖ has been Austria’s top-polling political force for some time. However, after leading the pack for most of the presidential race, the right-wing candidate lost out by 0.6 per cent to the Green party, after the inclusion of postal votes, and months of Europe’s mainstream media calling the centre-right populist “far right”.

Right wing populists are periodically topping the polls across the continent in France, Sweden, Holland, and now Austria and anti-migrant populists are already in power in Hungary, Poland, and the Czech Republic.

Mr. Junker’s definition of “far right” is somewhat broad, noted by him previously describing Hungary’s conservative president, Viktor Orbán, as a “fascist.”

Orban is a fascist lol.

Do you know what the problem is? Just as much as the liberal left being PC cowards? That the only alternative are these extreme rights with ridiculous views. There is no more centre right.
Reply 3
Original post by inhuman
Orban is a fascist lol.

Do you know what the problem is? Just as much as the liberal left being PC cowards? That the only alternative are these extreme rights with ridiculous views. There is no more centre right.

You're pretty far off the mark mate
Reply 4
Original post by EuanF
You're pretty far off the mark mate

Not at all.

But not surprising that EuanF can't see that.

Another quality post by you, btw.
Reply 5
Original post by inhuman
Not at all.

But not surprising that EuanF can't see that.

Another quality post by you, btw.

I can think of at least three centre-right parties in the UK alone, discounting all the centre-right independents.
lmao what a load of rubbish you couldnt even cite it
Reply 7
Original post by EuanF
I can think of at least three centre-right parties in the UK alone, discounting all the centre-right independents.

What is your definition of that? The only one I can find on political compasses that fits this description are the Lib Dems, though I have a feeling they are not one of your 3. Also, they are not against immigration sadly.
Reply 8
Original post by inhuman
What is your definition of that? The only one I can find on political compasses that fits this description are the Lib Dems, though I have a feeling they are not one of your 3. Also, they are not against immigration sadly.

UKIP, the Conservative Party, the Ulster Unionist Party and, indeed, the Liberal Democrats.
Original post by Craig1998
The only source I have found on this is Breitbart which is a little, hmm, sketchy (none of the sources relate to what the title is suggesting). Do you have any other sources which directly say they're doing this, it would be a bit dictatorial if they did.

Anyone? I s2g this is like reading the Daily Mail comments section.
Populists have the interests of European people. EUROPEAN PEOPLE.

The EU is an anti-White Marxist regime who wishes to eliminate it's White population.

Only in the White Western world are you an extremist to oppose immigration.
I would honestly not be surprised if this was something the EU was thinking of introducing. Having said that, Breitbart is quoting Pamela Geller; she's not exactly a beacon of rationality.
Original post by Aceadria
I would honestly not be surprised if this was something the EU was thinking of introducing. Having said that, Breitbart is quoting Pamela Geller; she's not exactly a beacon of rationality.

Why isn't she?
Reply 13
Anyone? I s2g this is like reading the Daily Mail comments section.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/austrian-presidential-election-too-close-call-151316172.html

Seems to be the original source of the quote.

"Ahead of the vote, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker warned "there will be no debate or dialogue with the far-right".
Original post by inhuman
Orban is a fascist lol.

Shall we look at the main party in each EU legislature?

Austria has a Centre-right centre-left coalition
Main party in Belgium is centre-right
Bulgaria has two different centre-right parties forming the government
Croatia has a centre to centre-right and centre-right coalition
The biggest party (with nearly half the vote) in Cyprus is centre-right
The main party in the Czech Republic is centre-left, closely followed by their centre-right coalition partner
The main part in the Danish Parliament is centre-right
The main party of the Estonian Parliament is centre-right
Biggest party in Finland is centre
Main government party in France is centre-left with the centre-right Republican being the second party
the CDU in Germany is centre-right
Syriza obvioulsy left wing
Hungary is lead by the centre-right
Ireland is lead by a centre-right party with a confidence and supply arrangement with another centre to centre-right party
Centre-left in Italy
Latvia's government is a pair of centre-right parties
The biggest party in Lithuania is centre-left with the centre-right party not far behind
The biggest party in Luxembourg by quite a way is centre-right, as is the main government party
Malta is lead by Labour, but all but two of the other seats are taken by, guess what, a centre-right party
Oh, and the Netherlands too, their biggest party is centre-right
in Poland the biggest party is right wing with the opposition being centre-right
Portugal takes the centre-left
The pain parties in Romania are both centre-left
In Slovakia the centre-left has the biggest party
Slovenia has centre to centre-left with a centre-right second party
the biggest party in Spain the centre-right
Sweden has a pair of centre-left parties in government
And last but not least, the UK has a centre-right government

To say that there is no more centre-right they seem to be doing very well across Europe, or at least the EU.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Shall we look at the main party in each EU legislature?

Austria has a Centre-right centre-left coalition
Main party in Belgium is centre-right
Bulgaria has two different centre-right parties forming the government
Croatia has a centre to centre-right and centre-right coalition
The biggest party (with nearly half the vote) in Cyprus is centre-right
The main party in the Czech Republic is centre-left, closely followed by their centre-right coalition partner
The main part in the Danish Parliament is centre-right
The main party of the Estonian Parliament is centre-right
Biggest party in Finland is centre
Main government party in France is centre-left with the centre-right Republican being the second party
the CDU in Germany is centre-right
Syriza obvioulsy left wing
Hungary is lead by the centre-right
Ireland is lead by a centre-right party with a confidence and supply arrangement with another centre to centre-right party
Centre-left in Italy
Latvia's government is a pair of centre-right parties
The biggest party in Lithuania is centre-left with the centre-right party not far behind
The biggest party in Luxembourg by quite a way is centre-right, as is the main government party
Malta is lead by Labour, but all but two of the other seats are taken by, guess what, a centre-right party
Oh, and the Netherlands too, their biggest party is centre-right
in Poland the biggest party is right wing with the opposition being centre-right
Portugal takes the centre-left
The pain parties in Romania are both centre-left
In Slovakia the centre-left has the biggest party
Slovenia has centre to centre-left with a centre-right second party
the biggest party in Spain the centre-right
Sweden has a pair of centre-left parties in government
And last but not least, the UK has a centre-right government

To say that there is no more centre-right they seem to be doing very well across Europe, or at least the EU.

A very detailed reply to him, but I would not have bothered, he is a freedom hating, government loving communist, will make no difference to him.
Original post by The_Opinion
A very detailed reply to him, but I would not have bothered, he is a freedom hating, government loving communist, will make no difference to him.

I'm well aware, I bet he'll just come back and ask why I didn't go for all the other countries in Europe too if I did 28, just like here because he didn't like the argument.
Reply 17
I appreciate the effort you made, but just look at Germany. Can you call the CDU centre right with regards to their immigration policy?

Maybe I shouldn't have said that (or added that I meant in my country), so I take that back. I just feel that the whole of politics is way too PC. Better not offend anyone, etc. But the only parties I can see openly against that and against immigration, those are not centre-right. They are right, and I would not call that media scaremongering.
Original post by EuanF
https://www.yahoo.com/news/austrian-presidential-election-too-close-call-151316172.html

Seems to be the original source of the quote.

"Ahead of the vote, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker warned "there will be no debate or dialogue with the far-right".

And this is the EU using supposed powers to block far right politicians, one guy saying something like this which was more than likely trying not to bring back a second Hitler. Be realistic, this is anti-EU slander by Breitbart, and people are eating it up.

That source only has one quote on it, saying that statement, the rest of the article is fabricated.
And this is the EU using supposed powers to block far right politicians, one guy saying something like this which was more than likely trying not to bring back a second Hitler. Be realistic, this is anti-EU slander by Breitbart, and people are eating it up.

That source only has one quote on it, saying that statement, the rest of the article is fabricated.

This is from the Times/Sunday Times website. It is behind a paywall so I can't link.

"The EU will isolate and use sanctions against any far-right or populist governments that are swept to power or presidential office on the wave of popular anger against migration.

Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, made clear at the weekend that Norbert Hofer would have been frozen out of EU decision-making if he had been elected president of Austria. “There is no debate or dialogue with the far-right,” Mr Juncker said.

Under powers given to the commission in 2014, he can trigger a “rule of law mechanism” for countries that depart from democratic norms by putting a government under constitutional supervision. Ultimately, a country can be stripped of voting rights in the EU or have funding blocked.

In a test run for the new EU constitutional powers, the commission has issued unprecedented orders to Poland, instructing the newly elected right-wing government to bow to Polish judges who have struck down laws passed by the parliament.

Mr Hofer had alarmed the EU by threatening to politicise the office of Austrian president by wielding powers, never used before, to trigger national elections at a moment most favourable for the far-right Freedom party (FPO). “You’ll be surprised at all the things that are possible,” he said before the vote. Though he lost narrowly, Austria witnessed the biggest far-right surge in Europe since the Second World War."

Quick Reply

Latest