The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

German system, my mate only just finished his undergrad 29, and thats not cus hes a bit thick. just the way it is.

Average age range on my masters would have been 23-28 I reckon, although I was the youngest by a way at 21 when I started.
2nd_slip
Tell me about it. 23 doesnt seem so young any more.

It's only since the late 20th century that being in your 20s was considered remotely young.
In my veiw, It would be better for people if they were at school til 18. then a couple years doing something else, and then apply to uni at 21 or so. This way people will be certain uni is what they want to do, and not just following the flow and doing the norm. PLus once you get in to uni, students will be more mature and want to work hard towards a degree instead of trying to pull and getting drunk.

Anyways, Bologna should look to getting a min age for uni raised.

I found that even those who had gap years did better nevermind mature students. Its just that they had all the follies of youth out there system and was ready for uni work.
To be honest, given that most of us will live into our 70s and 80s, leaving university at 21/22 and working for the rest of our lives seems grim.

I spent a summer in Tanzania. The timing of their final exam results for school is such that they end up with nearly a year in between getting results and entering university. Loads of people got jobs teaching or in civil service. I wish that the US/UK system allowed for something like that so everyone did a gap year.
shady lane
I wish that the US/UK system allowed for something like that so everyone did a gap year.

Why?
So that we don't have to enter the drudgery of full-time work when we're still practically teenagers.
shady lane
So that we don't have to enter the drudgery of full-time work when we're still practically teenagers.

But if people are happy to do that, then who are the state to intervene?
Are people happy to do it? Honestly, I wonder about that. I went straight through because 1) it's what most people do and 2) my parents would have killed me if I'd tried to take a break.
shady lane
Are people happy to do it?

I don't know. One can only assume that those who do choose to do this are happy with it. Those that are not, have been for many years, free to choose a gap year, and many people do. It's always been a matter of choice.

I went straight through because 1) it's what most people do

This would suggest you don't have independence of mind, wouldn't it? Many people I know have chosen to take a year out.

and 2) my parents would have killed me if I'd tried to take a break.

Don't you think there's something to be said about the attitude of families (towards education) with your ethnic origin? I believe so, it's something to be admired in some respects, in others not so.
Reply 29
shady lane

Practically teenagers at 22/23?

Love the idea, cant agree.

What was Tanzania like?

If I ever visted Africa, it'd be Morocco.
2nd_slip
Practically teenagers at 22/23?

Love the idea, cant agree.

What was Tanzania like?

If I ever visted Africa, it'd be Morocco.

Morocco? That's practically Europe lol.

Seriously, I'd go to West Africa.
Reply 31
Morocco is distinct. Its Arab, its African, its got a hint of Europe, on an Islamic base, sprinkled with progress. Moroccan girls are beautiful.

I'm off to Morocco at some point.

Of proper Africa then, South Africa would be cool. Catch a test at the Wanderers in Jo'Burg is a dream.
I took a year out between my degree and my PhD, during that time I met loads of people who were taking a year out after their degree from the UK. Seems quite common to me.
It's more common in the UK than in the US. Then again, it's also more common for parents to fund their children's educations in the States. Explaining why they want us to go to work :frown:
Reply 34
What's the ave age to get a PhD?
Reply 36
Source?
Reply 37
Pernell Whitaker

Your signiture, is that a film quote?
Reply 38
2nd_slip
Your signiture, is that a film quote?

It is indeed. From a not too well-known B-movie called Debate and Discussion.:rolleyes:
Reply 39
SLAMMED, hobnob

Latest

Trending

Trending