The Student Room Group

bad results- retake

Im gonna get like 3 E or 1 D and 2 E's, I am able to retake different a level subjects or will i be forced into btecs
Reply 1
You can retake the year and you will most likely have to choose other subjects.
You can only retake something youve previously studied. That's why they are called retakes.

If you are talking about AS levels then they might allow you to do new ones.

If its A levels then you might be too old to stay in your current sixth form and have to go and do fresh A levels at college.
Depends, there are other options because you can apply for a Foundation Year at a uni depending on the degree you wish to take.
If you go into A2 and manage to bump it up, you should be OK.
Original post by tammymxx
You can retake the year and you will most likely have to choose other subjects.

a level subjects right???
Original post by Scienceisgood
Depends, there are other options because you can apply for a Foundation Year at a uni depending on the degree you wish to take.
If you go into A2 and manage to bump it up, you should be OK.

at the moment im doing chem bio psychology at AS , im willing to change all three
I'm seriously not joking here but, A level was the HARDEST thing for me to do EVER. I am currently about to enter my final year of Biomedical Science and, in all honesty, my degree is easier than my A levels were (Biology, Chemistry and Maths (with mechanics)).
I can understand where you're coming from though, what degree do you want to do?
Original post by algerianstar23
at the moment im doing chem bio psychology at AS , im willing to change all three

You could have said AS at the beginning. Talk to your school. they will likely let you redo the year with different subjects if you can. convince them you can make a go of them. You might want to talk to your previous teachers of the subjects you would like to switch to.
I'm seriously not joking here but, A level was the HARDEST thing for me to do EVER. I am currently about to enter my final year of Biomedical Science and, in all honesty, my degree is easier than my A levels were (Biology, Chemistry and Maths (with mechanics)).
I can understand where you're coming from though, what degree do you want to do?

YHH I was doing well at the start in the mocks i will get C , low B's but now i cant reach a D
I was aiming to do pharmacy or biomedical science (my sister does it) , but now im gonna go into computing towards networking
I was aiming to do pharmacy or biomedical science (my sister does it) , but now im gonna go into computing towards networking

Were you looking at any particular uni?
My uni (UWE) does a Foundation degree which will get you into Biomed, Forensics, Psychology, Environmental Science etc...Minimum entry requirement = a grade D at A2 level in ANY A level subject.
Hell, you could apply for the premed course if you do Biomed (assuming success in applying) which will automatically allow you access to medicine should you take the option.

HOWEVER, computing and Biomed/Pharmacology are VERY different things...
(edited 7 years ago)

Sorry, accidentally lied...
Minimum entry requirement = 120 UCAS points (3 Es should do you ok).
Went up from the last time since I was told a couple of years ago, entry requirements were 60 UCAS points (Min Grade D at A2...)
Were you looking at any particular uni?
My uni (UWE) does a Foundation degree which will get you into Biomed, Forensics, Psychology, Environmental Science etc...Minimum entry requirement = a grade D at A2 level in ANY A level subject.
Hell, you could apply for the premed course if you do Biomed (assuming success in applying) which will automatically allow you access to medicine should you take the option.

HOWEVER, computing and Biomed/Pharmacology are VERY different things...

I was looking at hertfordshire uni , and yep they are very different subjects , but i was good at ICT in high school , i taught my self how to code ,so i see hope in computing
I was looking at hertfordshire uni , and yep they are very different subjects , but i was good at ICT in high school , i taught my self how to code ,so i see hope in computing

Hertfordshire have the same entry requirements for Foundation, however, you can choose one or the other, I would bring this up with your Tutor at college or maybe a academic adviser.
HOWEVER, if you pass the foundation year, you are guaranteed a place on the course the next academic year whereas, redoing your A levels, no guarantee is certain because there is competition with other students from across the country. Yes it is an extra year, however, it will get you used to uni life before starting your proper degree.

Link: http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/foundation-degree-in-computing-technologies-networks
Hertfordshire have the same entry requirements for Foundation, however, you can choose one or the other, I would bring this up with your Tutor at college or maybe a academic adviser.
HOWEVER, if you pass the foundation year, you are guaranteed a place on the course the next academic year whereas, redoing your A levels, no guarantee is certain because there is competition with other students from across the country. Yes it is an extra year, however, it will get you used to uni life before starting your proper degree.

Link: http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/foundation-degree-in-computing-technologies-networks

i was thinking of Brighton uni , the computing and networking course , i decided that Im gonna change all three of my AS
The cheaper option by far is to do A levels.
Original post by 999tigger
The cheaper option by far is to do A levels.

i dont wanna go into a2 with D's and E's , and i prefer to enter uni with better grades
i dont wanna go into a2 with D's and E's , and i prefer to enter uni with better grades

A foundation course was mentioned. I suggested the best option is to just redo year 12 with different A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest