The Student Room Group

Changing course at same University

Hi folks,

I'm currently switching from a joint Hons Archaeology and Soc. Anthropology degree to single Hons Anthropology, at the same University. This won't involve me repeating any years or modules, I'll just progress to 2nd year without the Archaeology components. However, Student Finance have just told me they're denying me funding for the next academic year because they're counting it as a brand new programme of study, and I've already used 2 years funding (year 1, plus extra for a repeat year).

Does anyone have any advice about this? This is the first time I've heard this might happen - no one has ever advised me that I could be denied funding for altering my course. Based on my impending transfer I was allowed to drop my Archaeology components and so don't have the credits to continue on the same course, meaning if I can't get funding I won't be able to go back.
Have you spoke to the finance people at your uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Vertigo2012
Hi folks,

I'm currently switching from a joint Hons Archaeology and Soc. Anthropology degree to single Hons Anthropology, at the same University. This won't involve me repeating any years or modules, I'll just progress to 2nd year without the Archaeology components. However, Student Finance have just told me they're denying me funding for the next academic year because they're counting it as a brand new programme of study, and I've already used 2 years funding (year 1, plus extra for a repeat year).

Does anyone have any advice about this? This is the first time I've heard this might happen - no one has ever advised me that I could be denied funding for altering my course. Based on my impending transfer I was allowed to drop my Archaeology components and so don't have the credits to continue on the same course, meaning if I can't get funding I won't be able to go back.

Your uni may have reported you to SF as a Direct Entry student rather than a transfer between courses. As above, start with a support function at your uni. SF will act blindly on what the uni has told them and won't check to see if the uni's info is accurate. You may need to get your uni to send a correction to SF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending