The Student Room Group

C4 volume question

Confused on how to approach this question :/ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464112511.745871.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
wth lol. just out of interest what exam board is that from?
Original post by TSRforum
Confused on how to approach this question :/ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464112511.745871.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok so what we need is a function to be integrated.

Consider the equation, (x-r)^2 +y^2 =r^2 (perhaps sketch it)

How might that help?
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
Ok so what we need is a function to be integrated.

Consider the equation, (x-r)^2 +y^2 =r^2 (perhaps sketch it)

How might that help?

How would I sketch that? Also I can see it can be re-arranged to y^2=.... as whatever I am integrating needs to be squared and multiplied by pi though I still don't know what the limits should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would I sketch that? Also I can see it can be re-arranged to y^2=.... as whatever I am integrating needs to be squared and multiplied by pi though I still don't know what the limits should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At C4 you should be able to sketch a circle. You will be able to see what the limits are once you have sketched it. http://www.wolframalpha.com/ if you really can't sketch.
Reply 5
At C4 you should be able to sketch a circle. You will be able to see what the limits are once you have sketched it. http://www.wolframalpha.com/ if you really can't sketch.

Here's the answer: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464118924.721022.jpg
Don't really see how I can sketch that or even work out the limits from looking at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's the answer: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464118924.721022.jpg
Don't really see how I can sketch that or even work out the limits from looking at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can see how the sketch relates to the question as if you rotate that curve with R at the bottom you see it is like the picture in the question, the limits would follow from that.
Reply 7
You can see how the sketch relates to the question as if you rotate that curve with R at the bottom you see it is like the picture in the question, the limits would follow from that.

Do I look at the bowl from a birds eye perspective?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do I look at the bowl from a birds eye perspective?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, from front on so you see a half circle with a shaded area.
Reply 9
No, from front on so you see a half circle with a shaded area.

Then do I rotate it 90 degree clockwise so it fits the x and y axis chart?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then do I rotate it 90 degree clockwise so it fits the x and y axis chart?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The axes are arbitrary, you just need to be able to see how one corresponds with the other, volume..png (ignore the top half of the circle.)
Reply 11
The axes are arbitrary, you just need to be able to see how one corresponds with the other, volume..png (ignore the top half of the circle.)

Thanks. It's a bit hard to tell what length h covers in relation to r by looking at the pic in the question, this makes everything much clearer :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest