The Student Room Group

The right time for teaching?

I haven't got a particular question as such just going to ramble on and if anyone has any comments or advice it'd be appreciated.

I have always wanted a certain job (not education) however a career in the sector didn't look likely for me so I started volunteering at a school to see what I thought to it.

As I was volunteering at a school recruitment opened for for career I've always wanted to do, I applied and i'm pretty much in. However I've been shocked just how much I love working / volunteering in a classroom. Having said that I personally don't think being a volunteer in a school gives a good insight into teaching compared to volunteering I've done for another job (which was brilliant, as I pretty much did the exact same job).

I'm thinking of maybe going into teaching in 3 / 4 / 5 years. Just coming on here to see if anyone else has retrained in teaching after gaining some real world experience. How they found it? How they knew it was the right thing to do? And How was it taking a pay cut?

Finally, here are my thoughts on what teaching would be like, I'd love people to tell me if i'm right or if I've got it completely wrong. (referring to primary teaching)
-Being a teacher is hard work but it comes with lots of perks.
-Schools are generally positive working environments.
-It never gets boring.
-Training is incredibly difficult but it's very passable with the right attitude.
-Being a teacher is nowhere as "nice" as volunteering in a class room.
-With the right experience there is opportunity for career progression.
-There is loads of politics which is frustrating.
-This is just a observation, Teaching increasingly seems to be a "young person game", due to the physical and mental demands. (not a dig at any age group).
-Schools are desperate for male teachers.
I wasn't expecting to see this on your list!

Reply 2
thought some of these may be debatable but it's all relative. I've worked & volunteered in some really unpleasant places. Yes morale is quite though but in terms of facilities, manners & attitude of staff.
Reply 3
I'm not an expert in teaching, but I think just looking at your thoughts about it, screems that that's what you need! Good luck :smile:

-Being a teacher is hard work but it comes with lots of perks.

True.
Depends massively on the school and leadership team, but, it is what you make it.
-It never gets boring.
True, everyday is different. Every student is different.
-Training is incredibly difficult but it's very passable with the right attitude.
The right attitude can get you anywhere. Again, the PGCE is as hard as you make it for yourself. Be organised, manage your time wisely, know when to ask for help and you'll be fine.
-Being a teacher is nowhere as "nice" as volunteering in a class room.
As in, you have to take work home, plan, and have a bigger role and responsibility? Volunteering is easy in that regard, but you will be rewarded more from teaching.
-With the right experience there is opportunity for career progression.
True
-There is loads of politics which is frustrating.
Very true.
-This is just a observation, Teaching increasingly seems to be a "young person game", due to the physical and mental demands. (not a dig at any age group).
Not necessarily. Lots of young people are drawn to primary, but there are loads of mature adults who are starting their training now. Not everyone starts a PGCE straight after graduating.
-Schools are desperate for male teachers.
True - more so in Primary. Secondary seem to be desperate for shortage subjects, like Science or Maths, not necessarily gender.

I did another career then went into teacher. I think it helped me mature and prioritise my needs prior to starting a course. My mindframe is in a better place too.
Reply 5
I'm only just about to start my PGCE after 7 years in industry.

I always thought of teaching as a career option but whilst at uni I really enjoyed the job I had on placement and decided to go down that route after uni. 7 years down the line I'm bored. I have what most people would consider an exciting job, but it really isn't. I no longer feel challenged and that why I've decided teaching is for me.

HOWEVER there is no way I would have had the confidence and maturity required straight out of uni. Also what I have learnt over the last 7 years ( I work in international trade and will be teaching MFL) has really shown me the big picture as to why languages are important - future economy etc as opposed to just being my favorite subject at school.

Also I really felt during interviews that having that experience really helped to get on the PGCE. I've also been told that more mature NQTs get more respect from their students.

Therefore if I can give you personal advice it would be to do the job first, see how you like it then decide if you want to go into teaching. It's a job that will always be needed and will not go away. That being said - watch out for grants/bursaries dependant on your subject. Some years may be better than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending