The Student Room Group

Sacked at work: - Do I have a case for appeal?

Ok, so I wont make this long.

Basically, I work two jobs.

1. William Hill (betting office, 30hrs p/w across 7 days)
2. A nightclub (friday/sat nights, 10:30pm-4am)

Ok, so on the Thursday I was sick so called in sick to job no1, and did so on the Friday too. I also called in sick to job no2 on Friday. Saturday came, I was due into job no1 for a 3:00-10pm shift, but called in sick at 10am to let them know I wouldnt make it in as i was still not 100%.

So I sleep some more and wake at 5:45pm and feel slightly better, so I ring job no1 and inform them that I will be back on Sunday to do my opening shift, 8:30am-2:00pm shift and get told thats brilliant news etc.

It comes to 10pm and having eaten and what not, my body feels alot better. With this, I decided I was capable of working job no2 from 10:30pm-3.30am, (I must not I requested to be on a bar that was quit, and also HAD to go in to hand my 2 week notice in to finish). When working between these hours, someone from job no1 took a photo of me and sent to my district manager and thus, had lead to my sacking for gross misconduct because I claimed sick pay for the Saturday even though I was in work for job no2 OUTSIDE job no1 hours?

Now I can appeal this next week, but want to know what others think? As other staff members have done MUCH WORSE and remain with the company?
Reply 1
Original post by RRRRRonnie
Ok, so I wont make this long.

Basically, I work two jobs.

1. William Hill (betting office, 30hrs p/w across 7 days)
2. A nightclub (friday/sat nights, 10:30pm-4am)

Ok, so on the Thursday I was sick so called in sick to job no1, and did so on the Friday too. I also called in sick to job no2 on Friday. Saturday came, I was due into job no1 for a 3:00-10pm shift, but called in sick at 10am to let them know I wouldnt make it in as i was still not 100%.

So I sleep some more and wake at 5:45pm and feel slightly better, so I ring job no1 and inform them that I will be back on Sunday to do my opening shift, 8:30am-2:00pm shift and get told thats brilliant news etc.

It comes to 10pm and having eaten and what not, my body feels alot better. With this, I decided I was capable of working job no2 from 10:30pm-3.30am, (I must not I requested to be on a bar that was quit, and also HAD to go in to hand my 2 week notice in to finish). When working between these hours, someone from job no1 took a photo of me and sent to my district manager and thus, had lead to my sacking for gross misconduct because I claimed sick pay for the Saturday even though I was in work for job no2 OUTSIDE job no1 hours?

Now I can appeal this next week, but want to know what others think? As other staff members have done MUCH WORSE and remain with the company?

You can claim unfair dismissal as the photo can be considered heresay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by IAmNero
You can claim unfair dismissal as the photo can be considered heresay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cant claim unfair dismissal as I havent been with the company for 2 years, and the picture has he day of the saturday on it
Reply 3
Original post by RRRRRonnie
Cant claim unfair dismissal as I havent been with the company for 2 years, and the picture has he day of the saturday on it

Ah, well your buggered I'm afraid, sorry man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So there logic is you can only recover from illness overnight? Like there's a big magic illness clock that clicks over at midnight and you become well again?

I don't know what your rights are in this situation, but I would suggest in the first instance you talk to the manager and explain the situation (you weren't exactly on a night out, you were working a job that started 14 hours after you had called in sick). Of course if you've got a background of taking lots of sick days that'll work against you. Either way appeal, it can't hurt to try.
You should definitely appeal. You have nothing to lose, really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending