Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Doing a UK Master's degree and want to go to the US for Ph.D program

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hello everyone! I have this problem and would really need your help!

I am about to do a MSc starting this Oct, and it will end somewhere around mid Sept next year ( Sept 2017).

I want to do a Ph.D right after this (starting in 2017). I realized that most Universities in the State start around late August or early September. Therefore there will be a clash here. Has anyone had this problem before? Would I be able to join my PhD (if I get one) in this case since I will not be able to graduate beforehand.

In addition, I understand that people doing Msc usually don't have lectures and they will be working on their thesis in the summer which is not required to be on campus.

Please disregard any other factors such as GRE, IELTS and References, just focus on the time here because I have already sort those out and I would REALLY REALLY REALLY hate to wait year.

I'm sure US unis will have dealt with this before so it shouldn't be a problem. Just inform them. Make sure you check with your MSc uni about whether or not you're expected to be on campus. Here our MSc students submit their dissertation at the beginning of August and then are free to go.

Thank you for you input. It got me worried.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.